hey outdoor runners, your go-to rainy day workout

Options
2»

Replies

• Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    To run in the rain I wear what I'd wear if it wasn't raining, except maybe if I'd wear capris I'll wear polypro long underwear and running shorts instead (for hiking in the rain I do the same with hiking shorts or capris, and for mountain biking I do the same with mtn bike shorts-I find I stay warmer). If I'm worried about getting cold I'll also wear a tank top under my polypro or capilene top, and if it's windy I'll choose a heavier version of the top. Phone in a plastic baggie. Sometimes a ball cap if it's raining pretty hard. I haven't gotten blisters before (yet?) but I never EVER wear cotton socks, at all, under any circumstances. I find thin merino socks to be the best. I wear them for all of my sports and the only time I've ever gotten blisters was on the west coast trail.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I run in the rain unless its really cold or a thunderstorm, then its the treadmill
  • helma123
    helma123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The last time I ran in the rain I ruined my mp3 player & my footpod. I hate the treadmill, but I know I'll be doing it alot this winter. I'm a wimp in the cold! lol!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I live in the Pacific Northwest so I run in the rain A LOT. If it's chilly out I wear a lightweight water resistant jacket and a hat (if it's cold I wear a thermal under that). I've run in torrential downpours more times than I can remember. And then I come back to work and get made fun of for looking like a drowned rat. You get used to it (the rain and the mockery:)
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I HATE the dreadmill too, I run in the rain, unless it's a thunderstorm.

My thoughts exactly!! In fact, I'd rather run in a lightening storm than the treadmill... but no, I haven't done so yet. Still, it would be tempting!! LOL
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I put on some long sleeves and gloves and run!

This. only i whimper the whole time. But i still do it. With the exception of lightening and ice.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    treadmill or plyo's
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Last year I didn't want to run in the cold/rain/winter that we have here in Michigan, so I stuck myself on a treadmill and dealt with the life-sucking boredom. This year I'm determined to only run indoors if I absolutely have no options (like icy/snow-to-my-waist/below-zero-temps) so I have some new cold gear Under Armor that I tried today for the first time and LOVED it! It was 45 degrees, raining and pretty windy and I managed 6 miles in 1 hour!!! That's fast for me... I think I'm hooked!!!

I did promise a dear friend I wouldn't risk slipping, but I may still get some Yak Trax for the snow... I want to train for a half in April and a 25k in May and this winter is predicted to get really really really bad here.... so we'll see!
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have yet to run in the rain, sounds like fun. But since I wear eyeglasses, it would be real irritating and annoying to having wipe my eyeglasses every second. On top of that I don't wear eye contacts either anymore, got tired of them. =(
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I have yet to run in the rain, sounds like fun. But since I wear eyeglasses, it would be real irritating and annoying to having wipe my eyeglasses every second. On top of that I don't wear eye contacts either anymore, got tired of them. =(

I wear glasses too, I have prescription running glasses that I wear when outdoors and I wear a ball cap type hat that usually keeps most of the droplets off the lenses. It's not perfect, but it helps!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    since i just started running, i really love running outdoors but if i choose indoors b/c of weather - elliptical !!!
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I run in the rain. Surprisingly, I don't melt.... :)

Running in the rain is actually awesome! Just wear your rain gear and a ball cap, and don't step on the frogs.....

You have to train in everything so that you are ready for anything on race day.