WHAT TIME SHOULD I EAT?

there have been many heated discussions about when to eat and eating at night.
YES if you 'skip' a meal, say dont eat breakfast, you will get hungry and that is bad for your body, but if you have one meal a day where you eat all of your calories in one sitting, it makes no difference! your body still burns the same amount of calories. you still eat the same amount. so it doesnt matter if you say eat, 300cals breakfast, 150cals snack, 300cals lunch, 150cals snack, 300cals dinner, 150cals snack. or 1350 calories all in one meal, YOUR BODY STILL GETS THE SAME AMOUNT OF ENERGY SO THE TIME YOU EAT IT IS IRRELEVANT. again, if you 'skipped breakfast' and ate 1050cals instead of 1350, of COURSE your bodys going to be starving it missed a meal!

Replies

• JasonD334
    JasonD334 Posts: 94 Member
    I am confused by this contradiction.... in one area you say don't skip a meal, and the other you say it's fine to eat all your calories at one sitting...

At least both sides of the fence are covered.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    I am confused by this contradiction.... in one area you say don't skip a meal, and the other you say it's fine to eat all your calories at one sitting...

let me dumb this down a bit, if you eat less calories than you should be, for weight loss, maintenance it doesnt matter. your body will be hungry. if you are eating all of your calories, it doesnt matter what time of day you eat, how many meals you have.

if you eat 1350 calories in one sitting versus 1350 calories in 6 sittings, can you tell me what the difference would be? NOTHING, YOU ARE STILL CONSUMING THE SAME AMOUNT OF CALORIES.

BUT if you like to eat many meals a day (which i do, i eat 5x a day) and you skip a meal, thats completely different because your body is missing out on calories.
  • keenslk
    keenslk Posts: 126
    think of you metobolism as a fire - a fire is not going to burn as well if you place a huge big log of wood on it to last 24 hours, rather it burns and starts better if you keep stoking the fire regularly with smaller bits of wood. Your metobolism is the same. Eating small meals at regular intervals speeds up your metobolism. In effect, a faster/more active metobolism burns more fat - so helps with the weight loss. that is why it is recommended by most dietians persdonal trainers to eat small meals regularly. Im sure there is lots of proven studies on this
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    That's all well and good, but I can't fit 1350 calories worth of food in my stomach.
  • Lol I wouldn't call that dumbing it down. I know what you meant as a former IF but you did contradict yourself.
  • think of you metobolism as a fire - a fire is not going to burn as well if you place a huge big log of wood on it to last 24 hours, rather it burns and starts better if you keep stoking the fire regularly with smaller bits of wood. Your metobolism is the same. Eating small meals at regular intervals speeds up your metobolism. In effect, a faster/more active metobolism burns more fat - so helps with the weight loss. that is why it is recommended by most dietians persdonal trainers to eat small meals regularly. Im sure there is lots of proven studies on this

Completely false. There are a lot of studies that prove AGAINST it actually.

Yayy myth spreading!
  • skinnyminniexx
    skinnyminniexx Posts: 67 Member
    i disagree. as soon as you eat something, your metabolism gets jump started. so the earlier you eat the sooner you jump start your metabolism for the day, so the more calories your body will burn throughout the day. it's the same with exercising in the morning. both speed up your metabolism for the day. that's why it's good for weight loss to eat breakfast
  • rebecca_lc28
    rebecca_lc28 Posts: 93 Member
    JUST CAME ACROSS THIS....

Permanent fat loss is all about obtaining and maintaining a fast metabolism. There is a very simple way you can condition your body to burn more calories, even at rest. This is one of the most effective steps you can take in your weight loss efforts. Make it a habit and you will succeed with your weight loss.
    Do not save up calories for a big meal.

By eating at the correct times you minimise the risk of triggering your body's "starvation protection mechanism", which protects fat supplies. Frequent eating encourages the body to burn fat instead of muscle tissue. It takes about 3 hours to fully digest a meal. Furthermore, after a meal food is broken down into sugar,the sugar then travels through the blood, providing energy to your entire body (controlled by insulin hormone). This means that each time you eat, your blood sugar levels spike. In total it takes two to three hours for blood sugar levels to go up and then back down again. If you eat a large meal, you dump large amounts of fuel into your system at one time - more fuel than your body needs. The excess fuel gets stored as fat. Frequent, small meals on the other hand deliver manageable amounts of energy over the course of the day, which your body can utilise immediately and therefore does not need to store it as fat for later use.

Smaller, more frequent meals not only boost your fat-burning ability but has other numerous benefits.

1. Faster metabolism
    Your body is genetically programmed to conserve energy when food intake stops. Blood sugar fluctuates every three hours and if you don't eat something to raise your blood sugar your metabolic rate may slow down. Frequent, small meals can help increase your resting energy expenditure (burn more calories) and decrease your body-fat percentage.

2. Easier weight loss
    It is very difficult to lose weight when your metabolism is slowing down and your body trying to hang on to every calorie. Furthermore, long periods between eating can lead to poor food choices and quickly turn weight loss into weight gain. Low blood sugar stimulates hunger, therefore, you'll cut down on cravings. Cravings often happen simply because you let yourself get too hungry or waited too long to eat. If you eat frequently, you won't be ravenous, and you can make the tastiest and most nutritious food choices. Even better, you'll avoid overeating and filling up on empty calories.

3. Reduced cholesterol
    Research by the University of Toronto suggests that switching to several smaller meals reduced participants' total cholesterol levels by approximately 8% and LDL ("bad") cholesterol levels by 12%. Frequent meals kept blood sugar levels more even, helping to eliminate insulin spikes that can trigger cholesterol production.

4. Sustained energy
    Food supplies the body with energy and the body in turn burns this energy to function. It is relatively easy to upset this delicate balance by skipping meals or going too long without food. When your blood sugar levels are high, you feel energised. Conversely, when they drop your energy levels plummet. Eating frequently helps to keep blood sugar levels steady, meaning you'll feel more energised all day long. Furthermore, studies have shown that female athletes who ate every three hours concentrated better, moved faster and could exercise for longer periods of time. This means not only do you get through your day better, but also that you can exercise harder and burn more calories during your workouts!

5. Mood stability
    There is a strong scientific connection between food and mood. Eating more often can alter brain chemistry. The key is to include complex carbohydrates like fruits, vegetables and whole grains, all of which help maintain levels of serotonin (a mood-boosting chemical) in the brain. Anti-depressants work similarly - by increasing serotonin levels. The right foods can accomplish the same thing.

The more you present your body with small amounts of food, the faster it becomes at processing and utilising this food. Eating at the correct times and frequency is the secret to speeding up your metabolism. Eating every 3 hours (5 meals per day) is the answer. By eating every three hours, your metabolism stays revved, your body burns fat instead of muscle, is less likely to hold onto calories and your starvation protection system isn't triggered. Make this routine a habit and watch the results it brings.

Bear in mind to eat enough to feel satisfied, but not overly full. Eat often and in moderate amounts, just enough that you are not hungry again for another three hours. The sizing of your 5 meals depends on your calorie requirements. You can try six equal-sized small meals or three small meals with two or three "snacks" each day. Although this will be discussed in more detail elsewhere, every meal or "snack" should contain protein. Whether it is low-fat yoghurt or a tuna sandwich, make sure it contains protein.

The great thing about eating every three hours, is that it actually feels as though you're eating more food than usual (you're not - your calorie intake is calculated!). Psychologically you do not feel deprived because it seems you're eating more often.
  • babyblake11
    i disagree. as soon as you eat something, your metabolism gets jump started. so the earlier you eat the sooner you jump start your metabolism for the day, so the more calories your body will burn throughout the day. it's the same with exercising in the morning. both speed up your metabolism for the day. that's why it's good for weight loss to eat breakfast

i would have to say your metabolism isnt that sensitive, and regardless, some people enjoy eating small meals, some people actually like having one to three big meals, my point is that it is fine for people to eat like this if they like, as long as you eat your calories - makes no difference
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    think of you metobolism as a fire - a fire is not going to burn as well if you place a huge big log of wood on it to last 24 hours, rather it burns and starts better if you keep stoking the fire regularly with smaller bits of wood. Your metobolism is the same. Eating small meals at regular intervals speeds up your metobolism. In effect, a faster/more active metobolism burns more fat - so helps with the weight loss. that is why it is recommended by most dietians persdonal trainers to eat small meals regularly. Im sure there is lots of proven studies on this

Completely false. There are a lot of studies that prove AGAINST it actually.

Yayy myth spreading!

Spot on! This is right up there with coffee dehydrating you.

As for skipping breakfast is isn't bad for you at all. If you can control your cravings to make sensible choices, it pretty much makes no difference. For me, i skip breakfast as it's just a waste of calories. But i dont end up missing out on those 300 cals...i just use it for something else, either snacks late at night or a bigger dinner!
    Permanent fat loss is all about obtaining and maintaining a fast metabolism

No it isn't. It's about not eating more or less than you consume. No good having a fast metabolism if you go and dine on 5,000 calories and watch tv all day.
  • Cool so an article stating claims, but has no data. Hmmmm very useful.

1. Myth: Eat frequently to "stoke the metabolic fire".

Truth

Each time you eat, metabolic rate increases slightly for a few hours. Paradoxically, it takes energy to break down and absorb energy. This is the Thermic Effect of Food (TEF). The amount of energy expended is directly proportional to the amount of calories and nutrients consumed in the meal.

Let's assume that we are measuring TEF during 24 hours in a diet of 2700 kcal with 40% protein, 40% carbohydrate and 20% fat. We run three different trials where the only thing we change is the the meal frequency.

A) Three meals: 900 kcal per meal.

B) Six meals: 450 kcal per meal.

C) Nine meals: 300 kcal per meal.

What we'd find is a different pattern in regards to TEF. Example "A" would yield a larger and long lasting boost in metabolic rate that would gradually taper off until the next meal came around; TEF would show a "peak and valley"-pattern. "C" would yield a very weak but consistent boost in metabolic rate; an even pattern. "B" would be somewhere in between.

However, at the end of the 24-hour period, or as long as it would take to assimilate the nutrients, there would be no difference in TEF. The total amount of energy expended by TEF would be identical in each scenario. Meal frequency does not affect total TEF. You cannot "trick" the body in to burning more or less calories by manipulating meal frequency.

Further reading: I have covered the topic of meal frequency at great length on this site before.

The most extensive review of studies on various meal frequencies and TEF was published in 1997. It looked at many different studies that compared TEF during meal frequencies ranging from 1-17 meals and concluded:

"Studies using whole-body calorimetry and doubly-labelled water to assess total 24 h energy expenditure find no difference between nibbling and gorging".

Since then, no studies have refuted this. For a summary of the above cited study, read this research review by Lyle McDonald.

Earlier this year, a new study was published on the topic. As expected, no differences were found between a lower (3 meals) and higher meal (6 meals) frequency. Read this post for my summary of the study. This study garnered some attention in the mass media and it was nice to see the meal frequency myth being debunked in The New York Times.

from: http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

there are some good cited articles with ACTUAL studies if you care to take the time to look.
  • babyblake11
    JUST CAME ACROSS THIS....

Permanent fat loss is all about obtaining and maintaining a fast metabolism. There is a very simple way you can condition your body to burn more calories, even at rest. This is one of the most effective steps you can take in your weight loss efforts. Make it a habit and you will succeed with your weight loss.
    Do not save up calories for a big meal.

By eating at the correct times you minimise the risk of triggering your body's "starvation protection mechanism", which protects fat supplies. Frequent eating encourages the body to burn fat instead of muscle tissue. It takes about 3 hours to fully digest a meal. Furthermore, after a meal food is broken down into sugar,the sugar then travels through the blood, providing energy to your entire body (controlled by insulin hormone). This means that each time you eat, your blood sugar levels spike. In total it takes two to three hours for blood sugar levels to go up and then back down again. If you eat a large meal, you dump large amounts of fuel into your system at one time - more fuel than your body needs. The excess fuel gets stored as fat. Frequent, small meals on the other hand deliver manageable amounts of energy over the course of the day, which your body can utilise immediately and therefore does not need to store it as fat for later use.

Smaller, more frequent meals not only boost your fat-burning ability but has other numerous benefits.

1. Faster metabolism
    Your body is genetically programmed to conserve energy when food intake stops. Blood sugar fluctuates every three hours and if you don't eat something to raise your blood sugar your metabolic rate may slow down. Frequent, small meals can help increase your resting energy expenditure (burn more calories) and decrease your body-fat percentage.

2. Easier weight loss
    It is very difficult to lose weight when your metabolism is slowing down and your body trying to hang on to every calorie. Furthermore, long periods between eating can lead to poor food choices and quickly turn weight loss into weight gain. Low blood sugar stimulates hunger, therefore, you'll cut down on cravings. Cravings often happen simply because you let yourself get too hungry or waited too long to eat. If you eat frequently, you won't be ravenous, and you can make the tastiest and most nutritious food choices. Even better, you'll avoid overeating and filling up on empty calories.

3. Reduced cholesterol
    Research by the University of Toronto suggests that switching to several smaller meals reduced participants' total cholesterol levels by approximately 8% and LDL ("bad") cholesterol levels by 12%. Frequent meals kept blood sugar levels more even, helping to eliminate insulin spikes that can trigger cholesterol production.

4. Sustained energy
    Food supplies the body with energy and the body in turn burns this energy to function. It is relatively easy to upset this delicate balance by skipping meals or going too long without food. When your blood sugar levels are high, you feel energised. Conversely, when they drop your energy levels plummet. Eating frequently helps to keep blood sugar levels steady, meaning you'll feel more energised all day long. Furthermore, studies have shown that female athletes who ate every three hours concentrated better, moved faster and could exercise for longer periods of time. This means not only do you get through your day better, but also that you can exercise harder and burn more calories during your workouts!

5. Mood stability
    There is a strong scientific connection between food and mood. Eating more often can alter brain chemistry. The key is to include complex carbohydrates like fruits, vegetables and whole grains, all of which help maintain levels of serotonin (a mood-boosting chemical) in the brain. Anti-depressants work similarly - by increasing serotonin levels. The right foods can accomplish the same thing.

The more you present your body with small amounts of food, the faster it becomes at processing and utilising this food. Eating at the correct times and frequency is the secret to speeding up your metabolism. Eating every 3 hours (5 meals per day) is the answer. By eating every three hours, your metabolism stays revved, your body burns fat instead of muscle, is less likely to hold onto calories and your starvation protection system isn't triggered. Make this routine a habit and watch the results it brings.

Bear in mind to eat enough to feel satisfied, but not overly full. Eat often and in moderate amounts, just enough that you are not hungry again for another three hours. The sizing of your 5 meals depends on your calorie requirements. You can try six equal-sized small meals or three small meals with two or three "snacks" each day. Although this will be discussed in more detail elsewhere, every meal or "snack" should contain protein. Whether it is low-fat yoghurt or a tuna sandwich, make sure it contains protein.

The great thing about eating every three hours, is that it actually feels as though you're eating more food than usual (you're not - your calorie intake is calculated!). Psychologically you do not feel deprived because it seems you're eating more often.

i agree with many of these things and i for one like to eat every three hours. BUT IT IS NOT A BLOODY SIN TO EAT ONCE OR TWICE A DAY INSTEAD. as i said, as long as you get your calories in.
  • HMonsterX
    Also Starvation Modes takes more than a missed meal to trigger. It takes days...
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 340 Member
    Simple answer to a redundant question: try whatever you like and do what works for you.

Done and done.

Thank you ladies and gentlemen, and good night!!!! *applause*
  • Also Starvation Modes takes more than a missed meal to trigger. It takes days...

Yup!

Funny how i never did the whole "eat frequently until today! Starting it to find my preference.

I have lost 20 lbs and am quite lean. I never eat breakfast. I eat right before bed every night. But i must have an extremely slow metabolism right? Lol for a while I did eat all my cals in basically one big meal everyday and still lost consistently xD
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    As I was scrolling down reading this thread I was going to respond, but it looks like SS and HM have done the deed already.

No need.

Oh and nice OP. =)

/thread
  • HMonsterX
    You taught us well Joe :)
  • JasonD334
    JasonD334 Posts: 94 Member

let me dumb this down a bit, if you eat less calories than you should be, for weight loss, maintenance it doesnt matter. your body will be hungry. if you are eating all of your calories, it doesnt matter what time of day you eat, how many meals you have.

if you eat 1350 calories in one sitting versus 1350 calories in 6 sittings, can you tell me what the difference would be? NOTHING, YOU ARE STILL CONSUMING THE SAME AMOUNT OF CALORIES.

BUT if you like to eat many meals a day (which i do, i eat 5x a day) and you skip a meal, thats completely different because your body is missing out on calories.

Dumb this down...laughable... just form a coherent thought and you'll be fine.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Its best to eat at the following times:

6:08 a.m
    9:34 a.m.
    12:17 p.m.
    3:22 p.m.
    6:39 p.m.
    9:01 p.m.

Any other times will kill all your efforts and make you gain weight.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Its best to eat at the following times:

6:08 a.m
    9:34 a.m.
    12:17 p.m.
    3:22 p.m.
    6:39 p.m.
    9:01 p.m.

Any other times will kill all your efforts and make you gain weight.

True story.