Vegetable Barley Risotto

monocot
monocot Posts: 475 Member
Vegetable Barley Risotto. I love Barley so this was a must try recipe, And Since I can never just cook a recipe as is. This is my Version. The best part you can add as much or as little veggies as you want. Traditional Risotto is made with Rice, Wine, Chicken broth and parmesan cheese which results in a creamy to Die for meal. Mine is far from Traditional but just as yummy

1/4 Cup Onion- small Dice
1/4 Cup Pot barley-Rinsed
1 clove garlic
1 cup Sliced Mushrooms
1/2 Cup Spinach- chopped
1/4 cup Red pepper
4 Cups Chicken Broth- Hot
2 tbsp BioLIVE-Chia and goji powder (optional)
Dash of black pepper
Shot of Lime Juice
Shot of Olive Oil.

Heat a pan, Add your oil, sautee your onion til tender. add the mushrooms, red pepper and garlic. Sautee 3 minutes and add the barley.sautee another 2 minutes. Put in the lime juice and the pepper. .add a ladle of simmering broth; stir in the next before all the liquid is absorbed, because if the grains get too dry they will flake.
Continue cooking, stirring and adding broth as the barley absorbs it, until the barley barely reaches the al dente stage (if you want your risotto firm, time your additions of broth so that the rice will finish absorbing the broth when it reaches this stage; if you want it softer, time the additions so there will still be some liquid left). Right before you serve it. Stir in the spinach
Its very important to only add one ladle full at a time. adding it all at once will shock the grain and prevent it from making it taste Creamy.

Note: to make a full meal, add diced chicken, beef or shrimp.

Makes about 3 cups. 1 cup per serving is 193 Calories.7 grams of protein and 8 grams of Fiber!
2011-10-17164640.jpg

Replies