To eat or not to eat! (before or after!)

Options
Hi everyone,

I keep getting told by different people that's it's best to eat before working out and from others best to eat after. I don't really like eating beforehand, of course I leave time in between but I still don't feel very good doing it.

Once and for all, what's the most beneficial way? Before or after!?!

Replies

• xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I keep getting told by different people that's it's best to eat before working out and from others best to eat after. I don't really like eating beforehand, of course I leave time in between but I still don't feel very good doing it.

• Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Its better to eat before, you'll have more energy to burn up in the gym :wink:
    Make sure it's something with a good source of protein
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    here is what I have gathered from articles and friends who are trainers.

eat light approx 1/2- 1 hour prior to working out to give your body energy. A stick of string cheese and whole grain bread. Apples and oatmeal. ( I also like the little yogurt shots!)

Have you ever just had NO energy while on the treadmill? No fuel in the tank.

Then eat a high protein, low carb meal within an hour of working out. Again, from what I have read, a lot of binge eating has to do with the body just being so hungry after working so hard. If I eat 2 oz chiken breast within 1/2 after cardio and strength training, I am good to go til my next real meal.

I am on 6 small meals a day, so I dont even have to think about this on a day to day basis. I have more energy than I have had on 10 years!

Good luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Don't know if it is the "correct" thing to do, but I know if I dont eat something light and hour to two hours before working out heavily, like my killer cardio pump class, I will be toast in the middle of the class. I'll have an apple with a TBSP of peanut butter alot, some yogurt, crackers with a glass of milk. Something not too heavy but will give me a little energy. I cheat and have a diet coke sometimes midafternoon too :blushing: , the caffiene shot helps me! Just follow with pleny of water, Hope that helps.
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I think it depends on your iron stomach. Some people get indigestion. I know a bodybuilder who wakes up at 4 and works out. Doesnt eat anything til he's on the way to work at 730. I would pass out if I did that.
    On my morning workouts I drink a full glass of water and go work out. Then after my shower I eat an apple or banana on the way to work. Hope this helps.
  • thury
    thury Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I am wrong on this but I have read numerous article stating that if you workout with an "empty stomach" that you will burn more fat. Again this isea is based on burning more fat. This idea made sense, I have also heard to eat something small before working out to get your metabalism started.

I personally enjoy doing it on an empty stomach. Please let me know if this is bad.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that your body is generally ready for more food when you wake-up in the morning, so if you workout on an empty stomach that the body then goes for stored fat to grab energy throughout your workout.......that would mean I have to get up an hour earlier then usual to do mine....hard to do since my sleep schedule is a mess. I would say try it all three ways.....1 - empty stomach 2 - eat something light - 3 eat breakfast first.

Let me know how it goes....:flowerforyou:

GO GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!