How sick am I?

Options
Here I am out of town,,,actually halfway across the country from where I live, on a business trip. This isn't that unusual for me...but since I began my serious commitment to being healthy and tracking what I eat it is the first trip I have had to take. I know the challenges, airports, hotels, business dinners, expense accounts...so for the past month I have delegated travel and avoided having to face this stuff. Well, this time I couldn't. Here I am in a really fun city with little to no budget restrictions on dining and all on my own for the afternoon/evening.
I have spent approximately 3 hours walking all over the city. The restaurant/shops area is fairly concentrated but I have covered a fairly big area in this time. I have gone from restaurant to bistro to cafe to bar looking at the menu's trying to decide what I should eat so I avoid or ding something bad from room service. Seriously, I have vacillated between chucking it all and eating the worst of the worst to getting a low carb slim fast and heading straight back to my room. All this time I have been telling myself...well, at least I am walking...and walking and walking. Which in turn makes me think that I can eat whatever I want which in turn causes me to keep looking for the perfect dinner.... Etc etc.
Well, I am now back in my hotel room with the following.. chibatta,avocado turkey breast sandwich, cesear salad, chicken walnut raisin salad and baked potato soup.
So...there it is. Instead of one thing I bought all this stuff. Bottom line is that I am ONLY going to eat one thing..drink a ton of water and then chuck the rest. I can't believe I spent this much time, money and energy angsting about eating dinner out on the road.
Just thought I'd write all this down before eating so I would take some time before making a poor decision.
Thanks friends...appreciate the support and feedback I always get here.

Replies

• Sounds like you definitely got some good exercise!! I haven't had to travel since joining MFP....I don't envy you, but it sounds like you've made some good choices. And even if you slip a bit while traveling, just get right back on track when you get home!! You'll be great!!!
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    Hike up your resolve, and chuck some of that stuff... especially the soup, for crying out loud!
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of food! Good luck with your decision and we've all struggled. Hope you make the healthiest choice.
  • NashvilleShelley
    Options
    Looking at what you bought, I think you did pretty good! I would have came back with every dessert in the city!!! LOL!!! Since you are thinking about it and writing about it, I am sure you are going to make good choices! : )
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    congrats on making it a point to try to eat healthy. i think thats the biggest thing is the mind set. Once you get it in you rmind you need to then you're conscious of everything you do and eat. So way to go on over coming that hurdle. Now enjoy whatever it is you choose to eat... and you know if your hotel is anything like the ones i stay at on business trips it has a little work out area... use it. :flowerforyou:
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I would just sample a little from each. If there is a fridge in your room, save a little for lunch on the way out. Factor in some exercise tomorrow, and perhaps, eat a lighter dinner. It's not the end of the world. Next time, you will know to get one or two items that you can finish in their entirety.
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    It never fails that I get on a trip that everybody wants to go party and eat crappy food! So you hide in your hotel room and tell yourself that all this is worth it for the time that you reach your goal and then once you are there you can do the fun things again and work it off the week. Hang in there, another trip will come along.

Get ride of the crap food, go work out and call it a night! Sucks but you have to do it.
  • mellbell41
    Options
    I hear ya!
    I would have the same difficulty if I were you...you are walking walking walking but you still want to stay on board...try not to slip up...maybe only allow yourself one "naughty" thing a day.
    For now I would eat the sandwich...it'll fill you up the most out of all of those...salads tend to have more calories because of the dressing on them, and the soup is most likely PACKED with sodium...which will just make you feel bloated.
    Good luck! And don't stress out, when you get back home you can get back to the gym and keep trekking on the road to weight loss!

Cheers!
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Traveling is the bane of my weight-loss existence. I have a really tough time. Sometimes I'll get a hankering for something sweet or crunchy while driving, and I'll buy bad stuff, eat some of it until I don't need it anymore, then toss the rest. When in a city, I'll look for some restaurant and pick up some take-out soup, or something that is relatively OK. I'm with you. It's really hard. I generally give myself a little lee-way because I know I'll drop off the weightloss wagon, but generally, it's for a short period of time and I'll try to do the hotel gym elliptical or walk more or something to make it a bit easier.

Maybe just give yourself one meal a day where you will "do your best" and be OK with that, and try to eat healthy the rest of the time. That way, you can live with just buying one meal that appears beyond the norm, and just be OK with that and enjoy it.
  • brynakrauth
    Options
    Hey you:

I'm proud of you for writing this all down. Traveling is so hard. Here's what I do. If I see a cool restaurant I want to check out, I go in, sit down, and order either a yummy salad or something from the "sides" menu like steamed broccoli and mashed potatoes. Go ahead and eat the veggies, get a glass of wine and enjoy. Once you eat something...you won't be hungry any more and you won't want to eat. By skipping the cool restaurants, you are depriving yourself and alas, you end up in your room with a pile of **** you should NOT eat.

So, please, go in......sit down (I usually sit at the bar and visit with people I meet), order some veggies off the side menu or get an awesome salad (not Cesar for crying out loud as the dressing will kill your calorie count for the day), get the wine and enjoy yourself. You are NOT in prison.

Hugs,
    Bryn
  • MartiJJohnston
    Options
    I can SO relate to you!! If I did all that walking, I'd have headed straight to the closest Mexican restaurant and then had a margarita for dessert! :noway:

Great job at posting your struggles and holding yourself accountable! :flowerforyou: