Getting rid of belly fat - switching to maintenance mode and

Options
Hello all...
I started my journey at 241 in mid-May. I have lost 55 lbs based on diet alone, no exercise. However, I've finally learned that "stubborn belly fat" isn't a myth. I think I have plateaud at 185 (I'm about 6'-6'1). I'm perfectly fine with that weight, but I want to lose this stinkin belly!

So, despite being at my goal, I'm having a very hard time switching to maintenance mode. It would add about 600 calories to my daily diet. After 5 months of eating between 15-1700, I am having a hard time coming to terms with 2300 calories per day. Anyone who has ever been overweight and lost a lot of it and became a "normal" weight knows that they never want to be overweight again. That makes it difficult to suddenly change my diet to include 2300 calories per day.

I've read repeatedly that cardio - not crunches - is the best way to get rid of belly fat. So, should I continue eating weight-loss calories (1600 or so), or is it the simple act of doing cardio exercises (like jogging) going to work just the same whether I'm eating 1600 or 2300?

Replies

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    this threat pertains to my interests
  • MamaBear57
    MamaBear57 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Would love to hear the opinions on this. I also have some belly fat that seems to be stuck.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'd slowly (100-200 week) increase your cals to get to your maintenance level--this site sets generic levels but they are not exact---that way you can get to maintenance without overshooting. And def continue to do the cardio/whatever else you are doing. Cardio/exercise burns the fat and eating back the calories fuels the muscle.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    to lose belly fat you have to lose fat all over, so yes cardio cardio cardio.

but if you are quite thin and have flab left over, the best is a mixture of high intesnity cardio (running, interval training etc) weight training and do some crunches and stuff to strengthen your core and tone it up more.

i highly reccomend weight training no matter what anyway!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Do a combination of cardio and strength training. You can include things like planks, mountain climbers, pushups and slow rollups. As far as the calories, maybe increase slowly to see what maintenance level works for you.
  • lotuslion
    Options
    Love to see the responses here - I'm nowhere near my goal weight yet, but belly fat is something I have always struggled with. :D
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the only way to get rid of the flab is to exercise. I wouldn't up the calories too quickly, but a couple hundred for a few weeks at a time should be good. Strength training and cardio, cardio, cardio is about the only way to beat the flab!!!

Sorry, it's all hard work from here on out, but make sure you eat back what you burn or you'll be losing more weight that you don't want to do. Plus if you eat more you'll have more energy to work out!!!! Bonus!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I would up your calories 100 calories at a time. Still lose weight? then you add 100 more until you find your maintenance level. For belly fat, well you can't spot reduce but I think the best exercises are strenght training and HIIT.

Cardio make you look good in clothes
    Strenght training make you look good naked :wink:
    Good luck
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Ok I'll start off by saying that I'm no health/nutrition expert but here's my 2 cents...

Generally you shouldn't be at a deficit for that long.. this is probably why you've plateau'ed Personally I'd take a diet break and eat up for 2 weeks or so while adding in some high intensity interval training - running/elliptical/whatever you like. Now that you're heading into a healthy weight, your body wants food because your fat reserves are smaller.. now that you're heading into a healthy weight the hard part starts lol

(Don't freak out but...) you may gain weight initially. Again.. don't freak out if it does happen.. it should be small. After the two weeks it would be beneficial to go back into a deficit (1lb/ a week) while also continuing to up your cardio. What you'll love about adding cardio is that if your body responds well to you eating your exercise calories, you'll be able to eat more... don't fight it... cardio will also make you hungry so if you need it start by adding in your exercise calories and see what happens. If you gain, eat a little less.. whatever sustains you.

My other point.. you can't spot reduce. If anyone tells you that they're just telling you about what worked for them. Your body will lose fat from where it sees fit. But eventually it will hit the belly.

You may have to adjust your routine a little bit too once you get to 180ish or below because you'll be starting to get leaner. Everyone's different in this regard.. i've seen people get abs from mostly diet, some from doing cardio or a sport, some from adding in strength training.. whatever works for them. Find what you love and take it on! Good luck!

** edited to take the sentence out about women.. I didn't look at your profile.. sry :-X but the advice still applies!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    You burn more fat at rest than from doing even a hard 1 hour session of cardio. So it makes more sense to RAISE your resting metabolic rate rather than to just do cardio for an hour a day. Steady state cardio doesn't raise resting metabolic rate.
    The body really doesn't like to give up fat, but won't have a choice if you have a higher metabolism so strength train hard and heavy and do some HIIT or Tabata cardio. Clean up your diet to lower carbs and eat a good amount of protein.