What do you say...

Options
In the past year I have lost approximently 30 pounds and I have about 30 more to go. I am at a loss of what to say to people that know I am trying to lose weight (mainly family members) but yet continue to tell me that I am skinny enough and have an eating disorder! My doctor agrees with me that 30 more pounds would make me and my body feel much better...I am short and small boned and even at my current weight my joints hate me! I know that my goal is not unreasonable and I hate that they just cant be happy for me....any suggestions????

Replies

• Snakey74
    Snakey74 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Tell them what your doctor suggests and then ask them where their medical degree is.
  • Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    You haven't said what your goal weight is or how tall you are so it's hard to know if 30 more pounds will make you too skinny. Some people don't like to see others lose weight because it brings it to their attention that they aren't doing anything about their own weight.
  • SummerFun2011
    Options
    Tell them what your doctor suggests and then ask them where their medical degree is.

I like this idea :flowerforyou:
  • racergirl1991
    racergirl1991 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You haven't said what your goal weight is or how tall you are so it's hard to know if 30 more pounds will make you too skinny. Some people don't like to see others lose weight because it brings it to their attention that they aren't doing anything about their own weight.
    I am 5ft3 with a goal weight of 115. The doctor said I could go as low as 110 and it would be ok.
  • jules_lives_outloud
    Options
    It really isn't any of their business. You didn't do all this work to be half way there. I deal with it to as I am trying to lose that last 10. People just do not understand unless they are on the same journey. Just smile and nod and internally agree to disagree.
  • racergirl1991
    Options

I like this idea :flowerforyou:

I like it too, but one of the worst is my grandma!
  • shelbyweeeee
    shelbyweeeee Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've experienced this as well. I finally just said that my doctor is aware of what I am doing and what my goals are, and that they are in agreement with me. I found that they don't push it any more after that.
  • Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    At 115 pounds with your height puts your right in the middle of a healthy BMI. Your doctor seems to be on target. I think they are not happy with their own weight.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    When people comment on my weight I ask them about their salary. They'll stop.
  • jules_lives_outloud
    Options
    I am 5'4 and trying to get to 130. There is such a thing as being too skinny, but it is ultimately your choice. If you add muscle building to your regimen (if you aren't already) that will increase your weight but will fill you out. Again, its what you want, and if you don't have saggy skin issues, do what you must :D
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    well i lost 70 pounds and kept it off along time, however i was a little to skinny but i felt great and i did listen to my family and i have to say that was sucking because I was afraid i was sick so i started eating like 'normal' people and the cravings came up like a vengence...

I was not exercising like before i was eating normal..basicly like most "average people" and i gained the wieght back well 40 of it, because the normal diet was not good for me. I gained the weight slowly and now i find i have to lose 40 pounds so i think just dont listen to them. If your doc is good and you are good then.. if it ant broke dont fix it.

I actualy found out now, that im fatter then my sisters again, that they were jealous , they told me this now. They said i did get to skinny yet at the same time i was getting more attention, and they thought i was prettier then them.... wow great family huh, lol well when and if i lose all this I will never listen to them i will hear my body and if im happy i will keep being healthy.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft3 with a goal weight of 115. The doctor said I could go as low as 110 and it would be ok.

That really is super tiny for 5'3" .. I'm 5'4 and my goal is 135-145 but I also have much heavier bones due to being morbidly obese for most of my adult life --- you just need to look at the BMI charts and stay in a normal range - which is about 111-127 for your height.

PS If everyone you know says you're already too skinny --- and you see yourself as fat you really might consider that an eating disorder is a possiblity. (as much as you dont want to hear that)
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I'd just poke whoever's saying that in the stomach with my finger - Pillsbury doughboy style. And quote him too "Hmm-hmm".
  • racergirl1991
    Options

That really is super tiny for 5'3" .. I'm 5'4 and my goal is 135-145 but I also have much heavier bones due to being morbidly obese for most of my adult life --- you just need to look at the BMI charts and stay in a normal range - which is about 111-127 for your height.

PS If everyone you know says you're already too skinny --- and you see yourself as fat you really might consider that an eating disorder is a possiblity. (as much as you dont want to hear that)
    I have a very small bones and I trust my doctor, we had a long discussion on my weight and a good goal. I just have a hard time with my relatives, mostly my grandmother. They thought I was thin at 170 pounds!!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I am also quite small framed, so people think I am thinner than I am. When I started trying to lose weight and a couple people at work said anything about my change in eating habits, I would just say that I was trying to eat healthier. I tend to avoid the "diet" word or say I am trying to lose weight around non-family. It just opens up the way for opinions.
  • racergirl1991
    Options
    I'd just poke whoever's saying that in the stomach with my finger - Pillsbury doughboy style. And quote him too "Hmm-hmm".
    Love this one!!! Maybe it will work on my sister....lol
  • mmcconeghy
    Options
    I don't like all these confrontational aggressive suggestions. That might stop them questioning you, but it won't change their minds. You have to get them to understand what you are trying to do. I think you should post a chart. It should have your starting weight and then show how your weight has steadily moved toward the goal. The goal should be labelled "Doctor approved healthy weight goal!" And have a target range for maintenance. That way, they know that you are keeping track of your weight in a responsible way, that you have a goal (you aren't anorexic and losing weight because you're nutty) and that when you get to that ideal, healthy weight you are going to maintain yourself in your target range, not just go on losing until you fade away! If you can get them to understand that this is a controlled, doctor supervised plan, not some hidden mental illness, then you are all set. I agree that a lot of the questioning from these folks is due to their own insecurity about their own weights! :smile:
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    The simple thing to do would be not to tell people you are still trying to lose weight. But, seeing as some people already know and are commenting on it, I would try to find a way to politely but firmly say "none of your business."

Maybe: "I apprecitate your concern, but I am following my doctor's reccomendations" Or "I am working with my doctor to achieve and maintain a healthy weight"
  • jooleeyah
    Options
    Only YOU can decide what is right for YOU. Your family and friends may have good intentions but ultimately it is your decision. I'd go for it, especially if your doctor agrees with you :) Good luck and great job so far!!
  • berniemay
    berniemay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Well said!