Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Suggestions for possible IT band issue

So I've been running since July and recently (October 1) ran an 8 mile trail run with a 9:27 pace. Shortly after that race I began having pain in my right knee (specifically and exclusively in the vicinity of the fibular collateral ligament, also called the LCL) once I reach about 2 miles. In training lately I'll run a sub 10 minute mile without much effort and will be fine (read: pain free) through about the 1.8/1.9 mile mark. Then the pain begins. I've stopped every time to prevent injury and I have two suspicions given that the pain never occurs except during running. One is that it might be an IT band issue. The other is that it might be an equipment issue (read: shoes).

I'm looking for suggestions for addressing the IT band issue without spending any money. If the only suggestion you can offer is to spend money on equipment, please humor me and refrain from posting; my family is in a very tight financial position and I can spend absolutely no money on equipment right now. I'd like to see if there are some exercises/stretches I can do at home that might fix an IT band issue...if that doesn't work I'll address the equipment issue at a local running store as soon as it is fiscally possible. Thanks in advance for any input and feel free to send a personal message if you feel that is more appropriate.

Replies

• IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Foam roller. If not, grab a softball or something and use that to roll it out. There are also some good IT band stretches you can do. I'm sure there's a link on youtube or something you can find.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,343 Member
    man...I have this bad ALL the time. I supinate when I walk/run so mine get REAL tight.

Massage therapy works great, but that costs $
    Foam roller will help, they are pretty cheap and some gyms will even have them to use
    lots of stretches. so you lay down on your back (legs bent) and cross one leg over the other bent leg. Reach thru the opening and grab your knee...then pull towards you.

also, lay down. straight legs. wrap a towel or skip rope around one leg and lift straight up. then cross over your body. you will REALLy feel it stretching.

if you strengthen your hips and glutes, this also helps. Runners World has some good exercises in this months issue.

also, go to a good running store. they will look at your feet, etc and find the right shoe for you.

One last stretch. Sit down in a chair.cross one leg over. grab knee and pull up...you will feel through the glute and into the IT band.

apparently, I have heard you can't actually "stretch" the IT band, but loosening up your hips and glutes will help.

good luck!!!
  • My wife had IT band issues while training for her marathon. Her physical therapist told her to stretch it in the following manner (I'll describe the best I can):

Stand and cross your left leg in front of your right one. Bend at the waist, keeping your knees straight and touch the floor TO THE RIGHT OF YOUR LEGS. In other words, your left pinkie should be outside your right foot. Hold the stretch for 20-30 seconds. Then, reverse it - right leg in front and touch the floor to the left of your feet.

That helped her and I include it in my stretches every time I run. Hope this helps.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    If you have any thin-soled sandals (not flip flops but something like Tevas with the straps), try running in those. Wear socks (you'll look like a tool but it's way comfier) and google barefoot running gaits. It's very different than normal running. In short: you land on the balls of your feet vs. the heel and your body is more directly over you than leaning forward. It's the ONLY way I can run (for me, in Vibrams) without debilitating shin splints and I've heard a few people mention knee pain decrease, as well.

This is purely anecdotal and I would hate to worsen an existing injury/movement sensitivity, so, obviously, stop if you experience any pain.

Maybe that will help a bit. Good luck.
  • RachelReady2Run
    RachelReady2Run Posts: 40 Member
    Not sure how to link to this, but if you go to runnersworld.com, then to video --> injury prevention --> IT Band Relief Yoga

I really enjoy that sequence. I started using it when I was feeling what I call "manageable" pain and it helped tremendously. I don't know how effective it might be if you're experiencing more pain than that.

Best Wishes!!
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Not sure how to link to this, but if you go to runnersworld.com, then to video --> injury prevention --> IT Band Relief Yoga

I really enjoy that sequence. I started using it when I was feeling what I call "manageable" pain and it helped tremendously. I don't know how effective it might be if you're experiencing more pain than that.

Best Wishes!!

awesome! I'm checking it out right now. too..thanks!
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions...even an inexpensive foam roller is too expensive right now, but I was trying a rolling pin last night! :sad:

I've tried a couple of the suggested stretches but others are new to me and I'll be giving them all a try. (Plus, I really think I was fit improperly for my shoes...but that's another expense issue.) Thanks again!