Eating at 9pm?

Options
Tonight when I got home from work I had about 800 calories left. I ate dinner at 7pm and still had about 400 calories left. I did C25K after dinner and when I came home I made myself an 8oz chicken breast. By the time I ate it it was 9pm already and I will go to bed about 2 hours after eating that and have just been sitting on the computer since I ate it.

Is that really bad to do? I didn't want to be so many calories under my goal, that was before I even put my exercise calories in. I ended up 200 under goal tonight but just don't feel like eating anymore.

Replies

• spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Not eating after a certain time is a myth. Your body burns calories 24/7.

That being said, if you are hungry eat.

If you aren't, don't.
  • ajm07
    ajm07 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I often get to 9pm with a few hunge calories up my sleeve. I'll force myself to not go more than say 150 under my goal on any given day, so always make sure i've got fruit and yoghurt on hand. The good news is I very rarely go to bed feeling hungry :)

I SHOULD try to eat more earlier on in the day, but then I just feel like I'm increasing the odds of making a bad choice and spiraling out of control. At least if I bank up a few calories through the day I feel safer. Probably not the best way to manage the whole thing, but you gotta do what ya gotta do.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    We all have days like that and days where we are over and dont want to work out. You needed the calories, otherwise you would be worthless tomorrow and not have enough energy. Sometimes it's good to shock our system, keep it guessing.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Chicken should be fine (baked, steamed or grilled only). Before whey protein, bodybuilders woke up in the night just to eat chicken to feed the muscles protein. Don't worry too much.
  • alex258786
    alex258786 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    From time to time, it's okay to be under if you don't feel like you're starving. I usually "save" those calories for a day where I might go out with friends and I eat something not very healthy or drink.
  • jewels68
    Options
    I have some days where I don't even come close to my cals. It's not my norm though. I used to eat at 10 or 11pm when I got off swing shift and still lost weight. But now that I'm back on days I'm losing it faster.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry so much about the time you are eating, but it would be worth planning out your day's meals a little more so you don't end up with lots of cals left at the end of the day. Especially if you are planning to exercise - you have to give your body good fuel to work with.
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230
    Options
    Easy. If you're hungry and have the calories, eat. If not, don't eat. There is nothing that says if you don't eat every last one someone is going to beat down your door and force feed you chicken and lettuce. No worries!
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Chicken should be fine (baked, steamed or grilled only).

The "Bro" is strong with this one.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options

If you aren't, don't.

I totally agree. And if you think you have taken in too many calories, work out a little harder the next day. No problems.
  • davejlee
    davejlee Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't consider what time it is when I eat.

The only consideration I make is trying to limit carbs soon before going to bed. I get better results that way.
  • amontroy1
    Options
    I do the same thing...today something serious came up and i missed lunch so i have a ton of calories left over because i did go to the gym. I try not to eat after like 8pm because i find myself laying in bed with a noisy stomach and then i'm starving at 530am when i wake up and feel hungry all day even if i stick to my normal snacks and meals. Growing up my dad would say we had to brush our teeth at 8pm and we were only aloud to have water after that i try to stick to no food after 8pm. I'm sure you will be fine but i wouldn't make it a point to eat really late. :)
  • PB67
    Options
    I don't consider what time it is when I eat.

The only consideration I make is trying to limit carbs soon before going to bed. I get better results that way.

Why do you think this matters?
  • davejlee
    Options
    Metabolism slows when sleeping. I try to take carbs around workouts and earlier in the day.

I take measurements in the morning and it's just something I notice. High protein food doesn't seem to affect me late-night as much as high carb food.
  • Kayranay
    Options

If you aren't, don't.

Yes, but you burn more throughout the day and when you are active. You burn much fewer at rest, especially when asleep.
  • PB67
    Options
    ^^MYTH^^
  • PB67
    Options
    Metabolism slows when sleeping. I try to take carbs around workouts and earlier in the day.

I take measurements in the morning and it's just something I notice. High protein food doesn't seem to affect me late-night as much as high carb food.

The only difference is temporary water balance.

The only thing that matters is your overall deficit.
  • davejlee
    Options
    It's a myth that you burn more calories during the day than when sleeping?

I would argue that overall calorie deficit is not the only thing that matters. If that's the case, then eating 1200 cals/day of ice cream should produce the same results as eating 1200 cals/day of lean meats, fruits and veggies. But that isn't the case.
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Where is Taso?
  • PB67
    Options
    It's a myth that you burn more calories during the day than when sleeping?

I would argue that overall calorie deficit is not the only thing that matters. If that's the case, then eating 1200 cals/day of ice cream should produce the same results as eating 1200 cals/day of lean meats, fruits and veggies. But that isn't the case.

Care to back up your assertions with actual facts, and not ridiculous strawmen?

Once minimal protein and EFA needs are met, caloric balance is ALL that matters (regarding fat loss).