Best time to exercise?

Options
Is there a 'best' time of day to exercise, like in the morning before/after breakfast?

When do u do yours?

Replies

• shansil
    Options
    I have no idea if there is a best time to exercise, perhpas I should do some research too. But I think if you haven't been doing any and you are going to start then that is fantastic, well done! I try and exercise most days, maybe 5 out of 7 and I do it whenever I can fit it into my routine.

Good luck on your journey
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    before I eat works better for me.
  • 623Hernandez
    Options
    I reed, to lose weight, the best time is when you wake up before you eat breakfast. Wake, bathroom, weigh, exercise, shower, eat breakfast. I can't wait to reed all the responses!!!
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I usually have a small snack like a Larbar and some fruit before I head to the gym. After I scarf down a delicious breakfast I worked out hard for. :)
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I exercise somewhere between 5 & 6am, then I shower & have breakfast after that. It works for me, I've discovered after 36 years that I'm a morning person lol
  • jenniferhe
    jenniferhe Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think morning is one of the best times in many ways just to get it done with. Also it's a great way to wake up your body for the rest of the day. Sadly I can't always do that because I am an overnight nurse. While most people are heading to work at 7:30am I am going home to go to sleep. I think it's important to find what works best for your schedule so you are at least working out. Wish you all the best.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Best time to exercise is when you can do it.

Sometimes I go to a 7 am gym class, but I'm really not at my best at that time of day - classes straight after work or even at lunchtime suit me better.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    The best time to exercise is when you want to... then you'l get all the benefits because you're committed to your workout.

I prefer to exercise in the morning but that's because I'm always up with the birds and it helps kick-start my day. I could never exercise properly in the evening because I lack the energy/commitment to do a proper work and then it keeps me buzzing and awake and I'd end up online in the wee small hours when I was supposed to be sound asleep :laugh:
  • vixepix
    Options
    scientifically - there is no "better time'' to exercise. weightloss is a simple equation of total calories in - total calories out.

as above people have different prefernces to when they exercise - some perfer morning / mid day / evenings - as long as your moving it doesnt matter when!

hope this helps =]
  • sonyabath
    Options
    for me i've found that if im goin to exercise it has to be before about 7pm, otherwise i'm too wide awake to go to sleep later. if i didn't have a 4 yr old son i'd probably get up at 6am or something and exercise then. but as a stay at home mum, now that my son is at kindy, i exercise a fair bit while he's not here.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Whenever I can fit it in is the best time for me!!

xx
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning person and have no qualms about getting out at 6am. Nights are not my forte, but I was doing it with the lady I walked with. Now I've shifted to leaving the house about 10am. I know me well enough to know that if I sit down, with the computer I'll never get going.

The 6am starts were at the beginning, well before the routine or start computer, coffee, sit *kitten* down and....oops..tea time..

Leaving at 10am now means I have to leave the computer (addicted much?) but the people I chat to are nice and wish me a safe/good walk.
  • schmorla
    schmorla Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The best time to exercise is when you want to... then you'l get all the benefits because you're committed to your workout.

This !

I exercise in the morning and the evening because I find if I'm at home doing nothing I tend to eat out the fridge.
  • CassandraD82
    CassandraD82 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Anytime is the best time to exercise :)

I've heard people rave about the advantages of kick starting your metabolism first thing in the morning with a workout but it's just not for me. I've tried it.

Nothing I like more than to exercise when everything is quiet at night - preferably just before a late dinner. Might be unconventional but my workouts are always long and peaceful and rewarding.
  • Penelope_373
    Penelope_373 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I find I do better in the mornings, as a mother if I don't get it in I am likely to have my schedule rearranged later in the day. It also gives me a boost of energy and gets my day started off right!

As far as the"best" time, Dr. Oz stated on his show that in the morning is the best time for fat burning. Your body is not trying to digest anything and your metabolism is naturally higher.

:)