Crazy scale readings

Options
Ok so, i have moved house and the only place without carpet happens to be my bedroom so my scales are in there. Almost every other day when i tap them on they show a 1.6 or 1.5 kg reading with nothing on the scales. Sometimes, if i move them around the room that goes away and sometimes it doesnt! I'm pretty sure there isn't 1.5kg of dust on them and they're playing up....
Do i just detract that amount to get my actual weight? They were just cheap scales from B&M Homestores!

Replies

• jojonesnz
    jojonesnz Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    ive just invested in some new scales off ebay as i was having the same problem and i want more accurate figures! its so frustrating haha
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    The main thing about scales is consistency. As long as you weigh yourself in the same place on the same scales you should be OK. Alternatively invest in some quality ones if you want accuracy. But make sure you measure yourself with a tape measure because the tape never lies!
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    The main thing about scales is consistency. As long as you weigh yourself in the same place on the same scales you should be OK. Alternatively invest in some quality ones if you want accuracy. But make sure you measure yourself with a tape measure because the tape never lies!

i got a digital scale for that reason - much more accurate.

In terms of measuring yourself, i struggle to get a proper measurement :S

i have measurements from 2008 that are almost exactly what i have now...but i have trouble with bloating and that can totally skew my measurements even if i take it at the same time in the morning :S
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Mine are digital! :( They must just hate me
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Could just be uneven flooring...? Or they got bashed in the move :(
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Could just be uneven flooring...? Or they got bashed in the move :(

The floorboards are uneven which is why i keep shunting them about to find the best reading! Oh well....i'll have to try and find the flattest bit!
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have some scales from Argos which are great, and they only cost £10, so I'd recommend that you just invested in some new ones. You might find that your weight is different when you use new scales. When I got these, my weight went up by 2lbs from what my other scales said, but at least they were consistent from thereon in.
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My scales do that too. If they are just so on the floor, there is an extra 2 kilos. But then, I can have them in the 0 spot, press it with my hand a time or two and it comes off 0...so who knows.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Ok, try removing and replacing the batteries... first with the old ones and then with new ones if it still carries on it's weird behaviour.

Try them outside... if you have a flat, paved area to place them.

Failing that... bin them and buy a new set!