Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Exercise after dinner

After coming home and having dinner and putting my little girl to bed, I got out my 30DS DVD and was getting ready to do my workout for today when a friend called. I told her I had to call her back as I was about to do my workout (didnt want to risk losing my motivation) and she said there is no point exercising after dinner because your not really burning fat......is that true??

Kinda zapped my motivation! :(

Replies

• Jenninedinburgh
    Jenninedinburgh Posts: 70 Member
    I've never heard that and it sounds like your friend just wanted you to talk to her rather than work out. It sounds ridiculous actually.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Don't let her bring you down!

Exercise will make your body feel and look so much better!

I am super impressed - I have to work out in the morning because I am too zonked at night LOL!

Go get it!!
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 583 Member
    People like to believe in all sorts of odd rules as it makes them feel better about themselves, physics says if you move it costs energy, no exceptions.

You would probably give yourself indigestion jumping around straight after a meal though :)
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    After coming home and having dinner and putting my little girl to bed, I got out my 30DS DVD and was getting ready to do my workout for today when a friend called. I told her I had to call her back as I was about to do my workout (didnt want to risk losing my motivation) and she said there is no point exercising after dinner because your not really burning fat......is that true??

Any excerise anytime would be good, but I think you would have to burn off dinner before you get to the fat..I excerise on a empty stomach much as possible..
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Well, right after a dinner is not good. I would wait at least 30 min to 2 hours to exercise after eating a meal. It also depends how big the meal is.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 583 Member

Any excerise anytime would be good, but I think you would have to burn off dinner before you get to the fat..I excerise on a empty stomach much as possible..

I admit my ignorance on the fine details of these things but i would guess its actually the other way round, unless your dinner was some form of sugar the stored fat would be in a more useable state than an undigested meal?
  • erinserin
    erinserin Posts: 79 Member
    I had two tacos (made with meat free mince since Im a vego). Total calories 383 and finished dinner about an hour ago.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    As long as you don't vomit. Gooooooo
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Sounds like a bit of nonsense..... you will be burning calories - some might be from the dinner you have just had - some from your fat stores.....

In the end of the day - don't let people sabotage you - there will always be someone with some weird theory - you will feel better for exercising - and you will burn calories - go do it!!
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    No matter when you exercise, you're burning calories by doing so. Hardly matters whether you've had dinner or not. Might be a little uncomfortable if you exercise right after dinner, but other than that it's fine.

Any exercise is better than no exercise, and when I exercised after dinner I found that I was the most successful at losing weight.. but that's just a personal thing I guess.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    I find the best time to workout is whenever I can fit it in!!

Working out > sitting on the couch!!

Go get it !! :)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    you would have to burn off dinner before you get to the fat..I excerise on a empty stomach much as possible..

you don't "burn off" undigested food.
    Working out on an empty stomach is just going to make you slower and weaker during that workout than if you had fueled properly.
  • jeskate
    jeskate Posts: 52 Member
    People who have been taught different ideas (obviously) believe and say different things... My personal trainer at the beginning of the year would say DON'T eat half an hour before or after eating - because that exercise would just burn off the recent food... And then other people believe working out in the morning burns more calories for whatever reason?

However when it comes down to it it's your daily calorie intake vs however much your body needs/how much you burn.

And what I think? Exercise is good no matter what time it is! Better some than nothing!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    People who have been taught different ideas (obviously) believe and say different things... My personal trainer at the beginning of the year would say DON'T eat half an hour before or after eating - because that exercise would just burn off the recent food...

It's not "believing", it's basic science. You DO NOT "burn off" what is sitting in your stomach. It is IN YOUR STOMACH!
    Personal trainers do not take nutrition classes. Anyone can be come a trainer with a quick course, and those courses usually don't teach anything about food. At all.
  • erinserin
    erinserin Posts: 79 Member
    Thanks guys - I got up and did it and I feel awsome!!! :):)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    you would have to burn off dinner before you get to the fat..I excerise on a empty stomach much as possible..

you don't "burn off" undigested food.
    Working out on an empty stomach is just going to make you slower and weaker during that workout than if you had fueled properly.

this. personally i like to eat something about an hour or so before a work out, because i can't work out on an empty stomach. i feel like i'm going to vomit, and without anything in my belly... ugh.
  • jeskate
    jeskate Posts: 52 Member
    Yes, I agree with what you're saying about personal trainers - that's why I started with people believe different things, thus the variety of replies this initial post got. I was just saying what someone had told me, and then at the end I had my input.
  • marzahl68
    marzahl68 Posts: 201
    Tried that the other day, ate dinner and then went on the treadmill - couldn't do it! Was out of breath pretty fast and couldn't get in the "swing" at all. Exercising on an empty stomach works much better for me. Not sure about the calorie burn......
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    I usually workout at night after dinner, it's the only time I have free. If I'm doing some sort of cardio or HIIT I try to wait at least an hour, preferably 90 minutes, mainly to avoid vomiting. If I'm lifting weights, I usually wait at least 30-45 minutes. I can't workout on an empty stomach, I feel like I don't have enough energy to really push and give it my all.