Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

sugar and weight loss

hello everyone,
got a question for you all, i am eating lots of fruit more than my 5 a day but the sugar intake is always over. is this ok as its natural sugar or is it still bad and will it prevent me from loosing weight?
happy counting! x

Replies

• claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    The fiber in the fruit should counteract it IMO. That's based on nothing btw, but nutrients, carbs, fibre and natural sugar are all important factors so I wouldn't stress on it, if your weight doesn't budge after a week or so maybe reduce it a little?
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    I wouldn't eat to many fruits. It's still sugar. Sugar is Evil.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Just to clarify - 5 a day is fruit AND vegetables........ in the end of the day if it fits into your calories for the day it is OK, but I would look whether you are actually getting a balanced diet by eating that much fruit.....to fit it into your calories something else is most probably too low,,,

I love fruit, and it has been the biggest challenge for me to reduce how much I eat..... Have a look at eating things like berries, - lower sugar and good fibre. Also papaya and rock melon is good options to reduce sugar....
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Sorry completely off topic but:

Elleinnz: love your profile pic!!! Go the ABs!!!!
  • psych101
    I struggled with my sugar intake in the beginning as I too love fruit!!! I started swapping out some fruit based snacks for veges instead - my afternoon snack of an apple became some carrot sticks with hummus, instead of putting both banana and blueberries in my protein shakes I use one or the other or spinach instead!
    Give it time, but there are certainly worse things you could be overindulging on!!

xx
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    If you are going to eat fruit, berries are the best.
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Here in Australia the recommendation is 2 fruit and 5 vegetable per day. When following this recommendation I have never exceeded my sugar levels. I must say though that I don't generally choose to have added sugar in anything - although I am aware it can be high in the small amount of prcessed food that I may eat
  • its still bad- try to stick to fruits that have less sugars like berries- stay away from bananas
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    You seem to be eating sensibly and have fruits and veg in your diet so I wouldn't worry too much unless you have been advised to reduce your sugar consumption by your GP or other medial professional.

5-a day is a guideline and they suggest 3x fruit and 5 veg is better... but who really knows as long as you eat a balanced diet.

You are certainly eating in calorie deficit (perhaps a wee bit on the light side... but then I only peeked a few days into your diary... not wanting to be too nosey! :embarassed: )

Sugar is not the big bad evil a lot of folks make out. I used to eat tonnes of sugar... all from chocolate, cakes and sweets... but I have natural insulin tolerance and have never had a problem with my blood sugar, blood pressure or anything worrying really. perhaps I am just lucky, who knows!

An apple, a banana, some grapes .. if you like carrots and celery you can always much on them instead of a piece of fruit. :happy: :happy:
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376

not sure if serious
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    In the context of weight loss it is not going to prevent you from losing weight provided that you are still eating at a deficit. Any lipogensis occuring from dat dere insulin spike will be oxidized during periods of lower insulin. You're at a deficit = you win.

Now you will probably get people who will talk about diabetes and general health issues related to sugar. My post is strictly referring to body composition and weight gain/loss.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member

willis.jpg
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    its still bad- try to stick to fruits that have less sugars like berries- stay away from bananas

Ugh. Really?
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Sugar Kills. Carbs Kill. Fat kills. :waterforyou:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    As for weight loss, as long as you are at a deficit, you will lose weight, even if every single calorie is from sugar.

That being said, eating a balanced diet is good for optimal health. Just be sensible about your sugar intake. MFP's default sugar limit is very low, so don't feel bad if you go slightly over.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    hello everyone,
    got a question for you all, i am eating lots of fruit more than my 5 a day but the sugar intake is always over. is this ok as its natural sugar or is it still bad and will it prevent me from loosing weight?
    happy counting! x

Sugar won't prevent you from losing weight if you are staying with a calorie deficit.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Sugar Kills. Carbs Kill. Fat kills. :waterforyou:

Crazy wives with power tools kill...O.o

http://news.yahoo.com/wash-woman-accused-using-power-saw-husband-034153324.html
  • Fit_Britt
    Fit_Britt Posts: 35 Member
    Fructose (the sugar in fruit) is has a different chemical composition then other sugars such as maltose and lactose. Thus they are all broken down differently. I'm not sure the exact relation to weight loss but the sugars are definitely different. This is just what I remember from an intro to nutrition lecture I attended.
  • psych101
    its still bad- try to stick to fruits that have less sugars like berries- stay away from bananas

oooh whats wrong with bananas?! I loooooove me some nanas!! I eat one pretty much every.single.day. They're even better smothered in Almond Butter mmmm

Obviously thats had a huge impact on my weight loss *points at ticker showing 119lbs lost*