Running w/ Weighted Backpack?

Options
Good morning all! I have a question ofr all of you fellow MFP Runners!

My cardio consists of lots of running since I run mud runs and trail races. When I started on this recent lifestyle change (and this site) about 7 weeks ago, a friend told me that as I lose weight, I should put my weight loss into my backpack during my training runs in 5lb increments For example, when I lose 5 lbs, I put a 5lb sandbag in my backpack, and then when I have lost 10 lbs, I add 5 more lbs of sand, etc. The theory was that if I carried that weight on my first run, I should continue to carry it during training and when I have a real race or mud run, I would then not have the weight so I would feel a lot lighter...and fly like a bird!

Unfortunately, I never started doing this, but now I am up to 15lbs lost! Yipee!!!! I am thinking about making my 15lb sandbag to start using this week. I have an HRM so my calories burned during my runs would take the extra weight into account.

So my question is, has anyone ever done this before? And if not this strategy, what have you done and how did it work out for you? Thanks in advance for your information.

Also, feel free to friend me if we have similar goals or you just want to be my friend! :)

Replies

• jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I saw this on the Biggest Loser UK where the contestants ran with a rucksack containing what weight loss they each had and had to run with it on their back so they could understand how it felt carrying all that excess weight around. I'm sure it will feel like a complete shock when you realise how heavy it is!!
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    hi there jeepster,

my understanding is that it tricks your body into believing you still carry that added weight and can therefore help you get over a plateau /speed up your metabolism

the con is that it does put added stress onto your joints and is more suitable to jogging / fast walking as opposed to running.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/200124-weighted-back-pack-vs-weighted-vest/
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I have not personally done this, but one of my gym buddies run on the treadmill with a 25kg weight vest, and he recons it gives him a lot more stamina....
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering about the safety of doing this. You'd be carrying this weight on your back which will probably affect your posture, gait, etc. Plus, it would just be uncomfortable.

If you are training for a particular event where you will be carrying a pack with food & supplies, that is one thing, but I don't know if it would be worth it to do it for any other reason.

One of the points my physio is always making about me losing weight as a runner is the amount of extra strain on joints per extra pound of body weight - so why add stress to your joints? I can't remember the exact figure, but it was something like each extra 10 lbs of weight increased the force on your joints by up to 6x (so 10 extra lbs = 60 extra pounds on your knees). I'm sure you can look this up at one of the runner's sites on-line.

Just my 2 cents - I'm no expert, just a person who likes to run. Good luck.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I have thought about doing this for a hike or something. But now when I walk, to make it more of a challenge I walk with 2lb wrist weights and 3 times a week I do interval training. Where I walk then run uphill, then walk, then run downhill.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I would rather be lighter & actually run faster than lug around a weighted pack. I don't think the benefits would be that great. PLus running, unless you had a REALLY good pack and distributed the weight well, it's gonna bounce.

Now that said, I did do a lot of hiking with a weighted pack in preparations for a trip where I would actually be hiking mountains with a heavy pack. I really felt that helped with leg strength, and core stability. So maybe that is a better option. Take a day or 2 a week nad hike with a weighted pack, & save the running for itself.
  • 84jeepster
    84jeepster Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hello. Thanks for the great replies so far. I see both the pros and cons of this type of training.

I have a Camelbak backpack that I use on our adventure races. These races are on foot, on mountain bike and in canoe. I fill my pack with water and I also have to carry additional supplies like spare bike tubes, tool kits, first aid kit, snacks, etc. This pack has lots of padding and a few straps that go around me so it doesn't typcially bounce that much even when full. In a real race I would be carrying some weight but probably not 15+ pounds worth. I jus thought it would increase my calorie burn during the run and help with building endurance.

I might try it on a short run or twoa week, but probably not longer runs.

Thanks,
    Mark
  • traceywaugh
    Options
    last may i did spin and gym workout with 10kg in backpack weight i had lost since jan. just to remind me how much harder things were. only thing is the weight pulls on your shoulders. it is a good idea and yes you will be able to run faster without but would recommend you ue a weighted vest cos posture will change with backpack. only thing the weighted ests are expensive
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i did my last few runs with a 4 pound backpack (camelpack full of water and a few other things). was thinking of adding a 5lb weight on my runs next week. lets see what happens.

my only question is, its a kettlebell. how do i keep it from bouncing around and possibly hurting me?
  • traceywaugh
    Options
    you could maybe balncde weight out with wrist anmd ankle weights too then it wouldnt be as much in backpack
  • traceywaugh
    Options
    balance
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Assuming you have good equipment for the job I think it's an excellent tool. I would suggest trying it on a long walk rather than a jog or run first just to make sure it feels ok.
  • 84jeepster
    84jeepster Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    My boss uses those meshy bags that you use to hold down a tent or canopy thing. She puts two plastic trash bags inside it and fills them with whatever weight of sand that she wants. She then ties the plastic bags and mesh bag. If its too heavy or light, she can add or remove sand as needed.

I think weight plates or ketteballs would bounce and knock around. I plan on using a sandbag that will hopefully mold to my bag and the inside of my camelbak so it wont bang around too much.

Thanks everyone...
  • Dpgmiami
    Options
    Here is the answer to all your questions and concerns :) www.power4m.com
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Here is the answer to all your questions and concerns :) www.power4m.com

:flowerforyou: Thank you. Personally, I workout with weighted vests, in training for select outdoor excursions. Did share your link over breakfast, discussing it at length. We'll most certainly be looking into it.