MY LEGS ARE DEAD

Options
I am smack in the middle of training for a half. I ran 7 Saturday, crossed trained Sunday (50 minute walk), nothing yesterday, and I was supposed to do 4 this morning. I got up and only made it ONE MILE! My legs are dead!!!

Here is my question....do I persevere through because of the training schedule (like try and run again tonight) or do I just keep resting? I just don't want to mess up my training.

Replies

• brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    My opinion, let your body rest! Walking is good though, helps the muscles stretch.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You want to make sure you hydrate and stretch. What program are you following? When is your next scheduled run? You may want to just go out and walk the distance (easy walk).

Some times it happens when you start out too fast. As another poster have said - it could be your shoes.
  • Wisks
    Wisks Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Could also be a matter of too many miles in your shoes.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body, rest if you need it. ALso make sure you're eating enough to replensih your glycogen :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am smack in the middle of training for a half. I ran 7 Saturday, crossed trained Sunday (50 minute walk), nothing yesterday, and I was supposed to do 4 this morning. I got up and only made it ONE MILE! My legs are dead!!!

Here is my question....do I persevere through because of the training schedule (like try and run again tonight) or do I just keep resting? I just don't want to mess up my training.

if your body says STOP then u should listen...

maybe take a short walk so you dont feel like you arent doing anything?
  • fsu326
    fsu326 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am following Hal Higdon's program. I ran 7 and realized I should have done a 5K this Saturday. I just totally spaced that. As for my shoes, they are pretty new. Just got them right before I started training (2 months ago) and I only wear them to run.
  • fsu326
    fsu326 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am following Hal Higdon's program. I ran 7 and realized I should have done a 5K this Saturday. I just totally spaced that. As for my shoes, they are pretty new. Just got them right before I started training (2 months ago) and I only wear them to run.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    are you eating enough? Training for a half, your calorie deficit should be minimal or at maintenance or you'll be fighting yourself, also make sure you are getting enough carbs, and stretching post run to keep your muscles limber.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

if youre saying you ran 4 more saturday than you were supposed to, then I would rest.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    you could always try swimming or cycling to get some cardio in but "rest" your legs.