New to oats! Help please?

Options
I'm just looking for some yummy healthy mix-ins for real oats. I just cook it in the microwave in some water. I've been adding brown sugar and sometimes cinnamon, but that gets old quick, plus I don't want to always have sugar. And I don't really like them plain. I would like some ideas on stuff to mix into my oatmeal that's yummy and good for me! Anyone have ideas for me? And thanks in advance!

Replies

• cvoge
    cvoge Posts: 2
    Options
    couple of tablespoons of canned pumpkin with a few walnut pieces is delicious in oats!
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Try pumpkin puree, brown sugar *i do use the splenda blend brown sugar and a few walnuts! Super filling and yummy :)!

blueberries and a Touch of honey (a little honey goes A LONG way)

Also pumpkin pie spice and splenda brown sugar

Have you tried Baked oatmeal yet? It's fab there are many many recipes out there from peanut butter to (shocking) pumpkin

I think I may be obsessing about fall and pumpkins LOL!
  • shannon121278
    Options
    couple of tablespoons of canned pumpkin with a few walnut pieces is delicious in oats!

I love pumpkin! That sounds delicious! Thanks for idea! I'll definitely have to try that one! Just gotta buy some pumpkin first! Haha.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options

Oh my goodness this sounds absolutely DELICIOUS. I LOVE PUMPKIN. I am going to the store today!
  • shannon121278
    Options
    Try pumpkin puree, brown sugar *i do use the splenda blend brown sugar and a few walnuts! Super filling and yummy :)!

blueberries and a Touch of honey (a little honey goes A LONG way)

Also pumpkin pie spice and splenda brown sugar

Have you tried Baked oatmeal yet? It's fab there are many many recipes out there from peanut butter to (shocking) pumpkin

I think I may be obsessing about fall and pumpkins LOL!

I do have some frozen blueberries, but I wasn't sure how good they would be in oats, so I will have to try that one.

Didn't think to just add pumpkin pie spice! I do have that!

And no, I haven't tried baked oatmeal. Never actually heard of it. I will definitely have to look it up, because I love peanut butter and pumpkin! I'll have to see what varieties they have out there! Thanks for the ideas!
  • INSANITY43
    Options
    I throw frozen blueberries in my oats...I cook them on the stovetop. Chop up a banana and throw in some walnuts, cinnamon and a little brown sugar and it's very yummy. Applesauce stirred in is also good. Oh and fresh peaches and cinnamon....mmmmmm Think I will have oatmeal for breakfast! And baked oatmeal is wonderful....
  • sophiareal
    sophiareal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    There are soooo many ways of enjoying oats. One of my favourites is still plain oatmeal (cooked with a pinch of salt and double the volume of water to oats) topped with some fresh blueberries, 1 teaspoon of peanut butter and some agave syrup/brown sugar/maple syrup. If I have nothing else in the house it's sugar and cinnamon (especially nice in winter).

The key is to have a bunch of staples at home that you can easily mix into your porridge: different nut butters, sweeteners (brown sugar, agave, maple syrup, honey, whatever you fancy), some dried fruit (I sometimes like cooking raisins with my oats), some frozen fruit (frozen blueberries etc are quiet cheap at Tesco and perfect for just warming up in the microwave with a little sugar to pour over your oatmeal), some granola for crunch on top and things like cinnamon, gingerbread spice etc.

If I am in need of some inspiration, I tend to turn to KERF (a foodblog from an american registered dietician who posts tons of oatmeal recipes): http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal

The only other things to bear in mind is that the toppings can obviously add quite a lot of calories to your oatmeal, so just make sure you don't go overboard with your sweeteners or your nutbutters!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    The most fantastic ideas you could wish for :-) My personal favorite - Carrot Cake Oatmeal

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/category/oatmeal-recipes-2/
  • angiev1226
    angiev1226 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My favorite lately is 1/2 cup old fasioned quaker oats, 1/2 cup almond milk (or whatever kinda milk you use), 1/2 cup water...then add 1 T. crunchy natural peanut butter and a few cut up strawberries on top...sometimes ill add in 1 T. of ground flax meal too for a little extra added nutrition...good fuel breakfast...yum :)
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Ripe mashed banana and a few chopped nuts or if you dotn have the calories for the nuts cinnamon
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    The most fantastic ideas you could wish for :-) My personal favorite - Carrot Cake Oatmeal

how did i not know this existed until this moment?!?!?!
  • shannon121278
    Options
    I throw frozen blueberries in my oats...I cook them on the stovetop. Chop up a banana and throw in some walnuts, cinnamon and a little brown sugar and it's very yummy. Applesauce stirred in is also good. Oh and fresh peaches and cinnamon....mmmmmm Think I will have oatmeal for breakfast! And baked oatmeal is wonderful....

I was thinking some sort of apple cinnamon oatmeal sounded good, but I didn't know how well fresh apples would do in it, and I thought maybe applesauce, but wasn't sure how it would turn out! Seems like a lot of you have the ideas I had originally thought of, but didn't have the confidence to just try it! I should have just gone with it! Haha. Love the new ideas though!
  • shannon121278
    Options
    There are soooo many ways of enjoying oats. One of my favourites is still plain oatmeal (cooked with a pinch of salt and double the volume of water to oats) topped with some fresh blueberries, 1 teaspoon of peanut butter and some agave syrup/brown sugar/maple syrup. If I have nothing else in the house it's sugar and cinnamon (especially nice in winter).

The key is to have a bunch of staples at home that you can easily mix into your porridge: different nut butters, sweeteners (brown sugar, agave, maple syrup, honey, whatever you fancy), some dried fruit (I sometimes like cooking raisins with my oats), some frozen fruit (frozen blueberries etc are quiet cheap at Tesco and perfect for just warming up in the microwave with a little sugar to pour over your oatmeal), some granola for crunch on top and things like cinnamon, gingerbread spice etc.

If I am in need of some inspiration, I tend to turn to KERF (a foodblog from an american registered dietician who posts tons of oatmeal recipes): http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal

The only other things to bear in mind is that the toppings can obviously add quite a lot of calories to your oatmeal, so just make sure you don't go overboard with your sweeteners or your nutbutters!

Thanks! That is a lot of great ideas! I didn't think of granola! That sounds good!
  • shannon121278
    Options

Thank you! I'll check that out!
  • rickbaldomero
    Options
    Using frozen Blueberries works great - also
    8oz of vanilla yogurt
    any frozen fruit
    can use Splenda or Truvia to sweeten
    Old Fashioned Oats are the best. The instant stuff is all processed with sodium & sugars.
    Good Luck!
  • shannon121278
    Options
    My favorite lately is 1/2 cup old fasioned quaker oats, 1/2 cup almond milk (or whatever kinda milk you use), 1/2 cup water...then add 1 T. crunchy natural peanut butter and a few cut up strawberries on top...sometimes ill add in 1 T. of ground flax meal too for a little extra added nutrition...good fuel breakfast...yum :)

I was wondering how good it would be cooked in some milk rather than all water! I use vanilla soymilk, which sounds really good to add a creaminess and vanilla flavor to the oats. I may just have to try it sometime! Thanks!
  • shannon121278
    Options
    Ripe mashed banana and a few chopped nuts or if you dotn have the calories for the nuts cinnamon

Yum, banana's! Didn't think of that! Thanks!
  • shannon121278
    Options
    Using frozen Blueberries works great - also
    8oz of vanilla yogurt
    any frozen fruit
    can use Splenda or Truvia to sweeten
    Old Fashioned Oats are the best. The instant stuff is all processed with sodium & sugars.
    Good Luck!

I used to eat the instant packaged oatmeal, but it never seemed to fill me up and was so much higher in calories than the old fashioned oats. So I finally got some of the healthy stuff and I've been enjoying it! Just need mix ins for it! Didn't think of yogurt! Sounds delicious! Thanks!
  • trixieabby
    trixieabby Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I love love love steel cut oats as opposed to instant oats. The difference in day and night. The steel cut are nutty a little chewy and totally different taste. Try it you might like it. By the way you cook these way longer. I put in a deep bowl in microwave for about 7 minutes.
  • shannon121278
    Options
    I love love love steel cut oats as opposed to instant oats. The difference in day and night. The steel cut are nutty a little chewy and totally different taste. Try it you might like it. By the way you cook these way longer. I put in a deep bowl in microwave for about 7 minutes.

Awesome, I'll have to look into it! Thanks!