height & weight ratio chart?

Options
How seriously do you take the height to weight ratio chart for weight loss? It says I should be 147 as my 'target' but that still wouldn't put me where I want to be. Thoughts?

Replies

• mamafrahm
    mamafrahm Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your body structure. I'm 5'11 have a medium-large frame and it says my target weight is 153, and 173 is high. I feel like if I weighed 150-153 I would be too skinny. My goal weight is about 160
  • ACook42
    ACook42 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't put too much faith in it because . . . It says I should be around 145 for my h & w BUT the way my body is and the muscle I have I could look very gross and sickly if I lost that much...I think I would look pretty good at 160 or even 165. But we shall see. I say... lose until you feel and look your best.
  • brynakrauth
    Options
    I think you need to do what is right for you. You decide when you look and feel your best. One size does not fit all in this world.

One word of caution tho. I recently had to start a new health insurance policy. I am in the absolute BEST shape of my entire life. The height/weight charts says I have to be over 120 pounds or I have to pay more ($50/month) each month for the same policy I've had for four years. I was so angry about this. I went round and round with the insurance co. but at the end of the day, they said "you are too thin".

It was really frustrating. My doctor even told him how fit I am and in the last 4 years, I have not had ONE SINGLE insurance claim because I am rarely sick.

So, just be careful about how low you go. Sometimes it affects you in strange ways......like your pocket book :)

Bryn
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    How seriously do you take the height to weight ratio chart for weight loss? It says I should be 147 as my 'target' but that still wouldn't put me where I want to be. Thoughts?

I wouldn't worry so much about the chart, and worry about looking the way you want.

120lbs is awfully skinny. I personally think more people should shoot for a little heavier weight, and then focus on having low body fat %. Ultimately, numbers on a scale mean NOTHING, what matters is your body composition. You want to be toned, not a stick figure.

At least, you should ;)
  • it says for me 140-170 is "ideal" for my height...i think thats about right. i was 170-180 pre pregnancy and i always felt too fat. i wanted to get down to 150ish. so yeah....FOR ME i think its about right
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all of the support. I don't put much faith into the whole chart mentality, or even the scale. I am more concerned with the inches, and seeing how awesome I look as the lbs burn away :) Thanks!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I was thoroughly disgruntled when I did my BMI and decided to ignore it. I'm 6'1 and a guy and it says my lowest healthy weight is 141 and my highest is 189.5. That's not going to happen. On my frame that'd put me somewhere between "skinny" and "scary-skinny", neither of which I find particularly attractive. I also checked my waist to height ratio and according to that a 36" waist puts me in the healthy range and that's my primary goal.
  • SparksFly460
    Options
    My "ideal" weight range is 125-165...I've been above that & below that. Personally I FEEL most comfortable & look best towards the lower end. 130ish is best for me...still have all the assets, curves but fit.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    <---- BMI says I am well overweight.
  • jule_sea
    Options
    I recommend getting to their target and reviewing. My target weight is 120, that said I look so much better at 135-140 because I have curves. I have a german background, what can I say... So the moral of the story is loose and review, loose and review, be comfortable in your own body, that is the best way to be!

Jules
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Those charts do pretty well unless you have a lot of muscle, and/or have a REALLY small frame....