Join a gym, or buy a treadmill?

Options
2»

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I own a treadmill, a nice 'fancy' one, waste of money! it was around 1500 and no one uses it :ohwell: My hubby and I both go to the gym, it's 13/mon through work. Best 156 a year I spend! The gym has other options weights, free and machine, ellipticals, bikes, punching bag for my bad days and feel like killing someone, jump ropes, everything that a person needs

too bad you cant sell it to him!!!:laugh:
  • sugarpie
    Options
    I have a exercise bike collecting dust and just last night I came up with the idea of placing it on Craig's list in exchange for a threadmill. Always wanted one,but also always wanted to join a gym,but wont go alone and have no one to go with me..................so I would go with threadmill. Besides,reason #5 sounds like fun,straped in or not.:laugh:
    124532.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • RunningSteph
    Options
    I was in the same boat after I had my baby. I opted to buy a treadmill at home and I'm SO glad I did. I spent $300 on one at Walmart and its fantastic. It put 30+ miles a week on it and its help up great!
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I own a treadmill, a nice 'fancy' one, waste of money! it was around 1500 and no one uses it :ohwell: My hubby and I both go to the gym, it's 13/mon through work. Best 156 a year I spend! The gym has other options weights, free and machine, ellipticals, bikes, punching bag for my bad days and feel like killing someone, jump ropes, everything that a person needs

I know huh? But then I'd have to clean my basement, it's a great storage rack:laugh: :grumble:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options

I know huh? But then I'd have to clean my basement, it's a great storage rack:laugh: :grumble:

That is the one thing my DH said when I wanted to buy my treadmill. He did not want to see it as a storage rack:laugh: His mom has bought exercise equip and that is what it turned into. A few times I've teased him and hung clothes on it!
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat...finances make it difficult to go outside......I don't have snow, but do live in a high crime area, so I am waiting on my tax return.....hitting Craigs List and buying someone else's clotheline. Something small enough to drag into the living room so I can be walking while I am watchin.. I say go for the treadmill and come here to get motivated to use it often!

GO Green!:bigsmile:
  • Elita
    Elita Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I only pay 30 dollars a month at the 24 hour Fitness, and i go at least 4 times a week, i would never work out at my house thats for sure! but my siter bought a really cool treadmill at a thrift store for like $60, you should really check out thrift stores first they have great deals!
  • RKA625
    RKA625 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Seems it's personal preference. I would never be motivated enough to work out in my home, I like to take spin class at the gym. It's more accountability, especially once you start getting to know people, then they ask where you were and if have to have an explanation of why you didn't come, lol.

Do you have insurance? A lot of time health insurance will reimburse you for part of the cost of a gym membership.
  • pdxmomof2
    pdxmomof2 Posts: 643
    Options
    I have been down all the roads. There are a few things to consider, some already mentioned.....

What is your running style? We had a treadmill about 6 years ago. We also had a roommate who was a "heavy runner". Hard to explain but he broke our treadmill several times due to his style of running. We spent a good amount of money on it too. He has since broken a couple of his own. He finally gave in and got a gym membership where they buy the top quality machines and they are built to withstand all peoples running and walking styles.

I just sold an eliptical machine which got used maybe 20 times in 3 years. I always seem to fall back on that great gym membership. Alot of them have wonderful deals right now such as no deposit and 29.00 a mth(that above mentioned gym!). If you have one like that I would get in on a deal and do that. Variety! And this is a perfect time as there are alot of people who are new to exercise so you wouldnt be alone in feeling silly running, at least until you got the hang of it!

There is my 2 cents! You will make the right decision for yourself and your situation! Good luck!
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm a gym gal.....our local fitness centers that are run by parks and recreation only charge 213.00 a year for a membership, and it includes swimming, and recreational skating, so check out that option, I find that I make friends there, therefore I have workout partners that keep you motivated, plus the extent of the machines and weights as well as classes offered just don't compare to only having a single piece of equipment at home. I look at the gym as I do brushing my teeth, it's part of my routine, no humming and hawing, and to boot, I was there so often, I eventually became certified and now work as a trainer, I say lace up your shoes and hit the gym :wink: