calories burned question

Options
SO, I like to go hiking. There is a 5 mile loop hike nearby and it is VERY intense and VERY hilly. The first time I did the hike it took almost two hours...I have been doing it more and now I am able to do it is just over an hour and 15 mins. So, when i enter it in as hiking...because it takes less time it tells me i am burning less calories. Since I am working much harder now and gong the same distance shouldn't i be burning about the same amount of calories if not more?!?! I am so confused!!!

When it took me an hour it told be I burned 1,004 calories.
When it takes me 1 hr and 20 mins it tells me i burned 669 calories.

See? BIG difference!!! What do you think? How much do you think I am burning?

Replies

• MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    SO, I like to go hiking. There is a 5 mile loop hike nearby and it is VERY intense and VERY hilly. The first time I did the hike it took almost two hours...I have been doing it more and now I am able to do it is just over an hour and 15 mins. So, when i enter it in as hiking...because it takes less time it tells me i am burning less calories. Since I am working much harder now and gong the same distance shouldn't i be burning about the same amount of calories if not more?!?! I am so confused!!!

When it took me an hour it told be I burned 1,004 calories.
    When it takes me 1 hr and 20 mins it tells me i burned 669 calories.

See? BIG difference!!! What do you think? How much do you think I am burning?
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Options
    Get a Heart Rate Monitor and you will know for sure. No guessing.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    1000 calories for one hour? WOW....I have a hike I do....90 minutes yesterday and it was only 470 or so calories.......I would question 1000 calories in 60 minutes....if it is accurate...good for you...maybe mine is too low
  • abillings9
    Options
    Yeah, I'd go buy a HRM. Best $30 I've spent in a while!
  • MrsTomy
    Options
    I wrote it wrong! 2 hours was 1000! Sorry!
  • MrsTomy
    Options
    Are the $30 ones good? Where did you get it?
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
  • sarabear
    Options
  • sarabear
    Options
  • sarabear
    Options

Where did you get one for $30.00 All the ones i've seen are $110+
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    Yes, get a HRM! I did and realized the amounts online were WAY off!!! Best $90 I could've ever spent!!!! I got the F4 Polar Women's HRM in pale blue. I got a $50 giftcard, so that helped! I love it!

98575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Target has them on sale this week for $24 (and up). I think I'm going to try it... I definitely can't aford the more expensive ones.
  • sarabear
    Options
    *heading for target after work* mine is broke :ohwell: I left it with my workout clothes and they went into the washer:grumble: