Why is the scale going down, but my jean size isn't?

Options
I have been dieting for about a month now. I have lost 13lbs which I think is great. I have never been sucessful at a diet or stuck with one for very long so I think the support I get from MFP is a godsend! I love the fact that the scale is going down but I don't feel any difference in my body. I mean it sounds silly but I have lost more than a bag of potatoes, shouldn't I notice that a little? If not, when should I?

Replies

• Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    It took me 30# to lose my first pants size. I'm now down 3 or 4, depending on the brand. Keep at it!!
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Diet will help you lose weight, but only good old fashioned exercise will change your shape. Keep at it, 13 pounds is awesome and you must feel great!!
  • SSampley
    SSampley Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Its sad but true you dont lose weight where you want to first, I have lost 42 pounds and still have some to go but my face and around my ribs are so thin..but I still have extra weight around my hips! Keep at it You will lose and start dropping sizes!! :)
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I noticed that my size trailed my weight by a surprising length of time. I'm not sure why, but I had lost 20 pounds and was feeling like you, then a few weeks later noticed that my pants were falling off. In the store I found I'd gone from a size 10 to a size 6. All I can figure is that there's something about my shape that took a little time to catch up somehow. Dunno what, but I counsel patience.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Took me a while to lose that 1st jean size.. now I seem to be skipping them or not staying on one as long.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I think its pretty common. I lost 50lbs and went down ONE size. I was sad, but then I realized I lost it ALL over.. thats why I measure..its SO much more satisfying to see the tape measure go down than a stupid size on a tag.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Ive gained and lost weight with a 40 pound swing.....I have never been larger than a size 2, everyone is different
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. I am down 40 lbs and still can't wear the next size down. Pants are loose, just not loose enough.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I'm in exactly the same boat ... down 12 pounds, still not seeing it in my clothes ... I'm banking on it catching up!
  • Jessica2Skinny
    Jessica2Skinny Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My sister has the same problem as you.... she looks thin now that she lost the weight but her pants still dont fit... and thats because she was working out and gaining muscle.... Get a scale that shows your your body fat pecentage... so if you notice your percentage goes down a few point and your weight stays around the same... then your turning fat into muscle... (which makes it harder to fit into your jeans as fast as you want). GOOD LUCK!
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It will come. I was upset because the scale wasnt going down but my pants were getting loose even on a week that I gained a half pound. Just keep on going, the inches will catch up and maybe even surpass the weight lose.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements too...that will tell you where the weight is coming off. I went down a size about every 10 pounds when I started....but everyone is different.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    If your jeans have any "stretch" to them they are shrinking with you! I am down quite a bit since I started losing but can still fit into my "big girl" jeans cuz they have a bit of stretch to them.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    13 pounds is awesome. I know when I lose weight believe it or not I drop it in my feet first - weird I know - but my shoe size has been as low as 7.5 and currently is a 9-9.5. As I lose weight, I will have to buy new shoes before new pants. Unfortunately our bodies don't lose the weight where we want it to but where it wants to. Keep up the good work and I am sure you will start seeing the results.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    try taking measurements. to see where the weight is coming off. it can be more accurate.

I have lost 45 pounds total from my highest weight I was wearing 20's then. I am still wearing 18 jean 20's that are way to big and some 16 dress pants now. but all my tops are L and Xl no more XXL's

try walking on a treadmill at an incline if you are hoping to slim down your butt and thighs. Also, squats and lungs will help.

You are doing a great job. Keep it up :)
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    My pants size really hasnt moved much it was my waist and upper body that lost the most. I went from a 10-12 to a size 8-9. I still wear those size 10s but i was stretching them out when i first started and now i can kick someone in the head, if i wanted, and not rip my pants. lol

I have never kicked anyone in the head, yet, just saying i could.
  • melaniemarie486
    melaniemarie486 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try weight lifting :)
  • kiltbunny
    kiltbunny Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    It took me to about 20lbs lost to move down in size. Now the last 15 or so lbs I can't stay in a fitting pair of pants more than a week before they get ill-fitted!! I have what some would characterize as "great birthing hips" even though I have no children... :ohwell: WIDE at the hips, small at the waist.
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It took me 25 pounds before losing a pant size. The funny thing is it seems like it happened overnight. I actually went from a 20 to a 16... skipping size 18 altogether. I was starting to get frustrated like you are now, but stick with it and I promise it will happen. It also has a lot to do with body type... I lose weight from top to bottom so my tummy and hips are one of the last places I lose from so keep that in mind too. That is probably why I went down a shirt size pretty quickly but the pants size took longer.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It took me 25 pounds before losing a pant size. The funny thing is it seems like it happened overnight. I actually went from a 20 to a 16... skipping size 18 altogether. I was starting to get frustrated like you are now, but stick with it and I promise it will happen. It also has a lot to do with body type... I lose weight from top to bottom so my tummy and hips are one of the last places I lose from so keep that in mind too. That is probably why I went down a shirt size pretty quickly but the pants size took longer.

LOL I know! This weekend I started trying on my smaller clothing because I shrunk right out of a fave pair of pants because I thought since I didnt lose any pounds I didnt lose any inches either.