Doggie parents whose furkids have hind leg problems?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You wanted support for allowing an animal that depends on you for EVERYTHING to suffer with an obviously very severe and painful condition.

I don't know that you will find support for that anywhere outside of Michael Vick's circle.
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    He hasn't been to the vet because I can't get off of work- I have vacation/sick time but know one knows how to use the system in my office and my boss hasn't sent anyone to learn yet, therefore I haven't even been able to get off for anything. Not to mention, I can't afford it this very moment, a series of emergancies (car problems on my car and fiancee's + finacee had to go to hospital w/o insurance) wiped out my savings account.

Since I already have pain meds I was advised to just give him the pain meds until I can get him to the vet, since I only have two left I will most likely beg the doctor whose office I work in to let me go tommorrow since she doesn't see patients wednesday, only I do and usually only in the AM. I just needed some support and some people to talk to- some kind of explination that can ease my mind till then. Guess I looked in the wrong place- awesome guys thank you so much for trying to make me feel like a bad mom when I am doing the absolute best I can. I wouldn't be giving him tramadol w/o being advised to because its a powerful drug and I don't feel comfortable making that kinda call on my own.

He can walk with tramadol, when it is putting out full affect- he walks almost 100% fine (he is a funny boy who likes to stand on his hind legs a lot, even with pain meds he isn't doing that so its not 100% affective, but it certainly helps). He isn't paralyzed just in pain. Like I said, I can't wait to get him to the vet- which means that I am taking him to the vet, not ignoring it hoping it gets better.

[/quote]I hope you get off tomorrow and get him there. I know all about the lack of cash thing but atleast here in uk we have nhs health care, wouldn't fancy having to do what you guys do. hope he gets back to his old self soon.:smile:
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    People were not trying to make you feel bad but they were wondering why you let it go so long. When you post on a public forum that your dog is in severe pain and can't walk you are going to have to expect these kinds of reactions. I sincerely hope your little guy will be ok but lets face it.. its not fair to the animal who is suffering to not get treated.. regardless of the issues. Have you contacted your vet to make a payment plan arrangement? Either way.. please get him checked out. If YOU couldn't walk wouldn't YOU fo to the doctor? Animals have the right to be treated for their medical needs too!''

Wishing your little guy a a speedy recovery!
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Why don't you give the dog away to someone who has the time and money to care for it properly?
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    If you had an actual child

please OP, just don't.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Wow, normally I do not respond when things seem to heat up, but really? I don't think anyone was rude, or in any way trying to make you feel like a "bad mom"...I think everyone offered the best advice that they could, but since we are not vets, we all advised that I vet would be the best option.....
    I did see that you were taking him to a vet, and I do understand that sometimes things just prevent us from being able to do what we really need to do. Luckily I have a vet that is open on Saturdays. and we also have an emergency vet, even though its quite expensive. Please do not take our suggestions as an attack on you, as you could see, most that have responded are animal lovers, and would only want your little guy to be better......
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    TO THIS PERSON
    Wait, he's NOT been to a vet yet? I have a dachshund. The moment I saw she couldn't move her hind legs, we were at the vet. She had a ruptured disc in her spine. She had to have immediate surgery. She can walk now, but the longer you wait, the worse it gets.

TAKE HIM TO THE VET! Please and thank you.
    THIS PERSON
    Why haven't you taken him to the vet?
    AND ANYONE ELSE ASKING WHY NO VET YET:

He hasn't been to the vet because I can't get off of work- I have vacation/sick time but know one knows how to use the system in my office and my boss hasn't sent anyone to learn yet, therefore I haven't even been able to get off for anything. Not to mention, I can't afford it this very moment, a series of emergancies (car problems on my car and fiancee's + finacee had to go to hospital w/o insurance) wiped out my savings account.

Since I already have pain meds I was advised to just give him the pain meds until I can get him to the vet, since I only have two left I will most likely beg the doctor whose office I work in to let me go tommorrow since she doesn't see patients wednesday, only I do and usually only in the AM. I just needed some support and some people to talk to- some kind of explination that can ease my mind till then. Guess I looked in the wrong place- awesome guys thank you so much for trying to make me feel like a bad mom when I am doing the absolute best I can. I wouldn't be giving him tramadol w/o being advised to because its a powerful drug and I don't feel comfortable making that kinda call on my own.
    He can walk with tramadol, when it is putting out full affect- he walks almost 100% fine (he is a funny boy who likes to stand on his hind legs a lot, even with pain meds he isn't doing that so its not 100% affective, but it certainly helps). He isn't paralyzed just in pain. Like I said, I can't wait to get him to the vet- which means that I am taking him to the vet, not ignoring it hoping it gets better.

He needs a vet there are 24 hour ones
  • LaComadreja14
    LaComadreja14 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have a big dog, a Rottie/Shep mix. He's 8 years old. He was limping and not wanting to walk a few months back too. Apparently he had sprained his leg when he jumped off the bed. He WILL NOT wear a brace or any such thing on his leg so it took some time to heal. He occasionally limps now from time to time. Hopefully that is all that is wrong with your little guy. I would try to get him to the vet as soon as possible though to get him checked out and then you can be at ease knowing what is really wrong.

Also, if you have not already, check his toe nails. My Rookie is a real turd when his nails get too long or if he has a broken one. He doesn't like to walk much until it is filed.

It's possible, since he is getting older and he likes to jump off of things... including the dining room table (he'll get up there to sniff around for crumbs and when someone comes in the room he will jump right off. He likes to climb anything he can find and will jump off when he gets caught.
    I checked his toe nails because he tends to chew them and occassionally he will chew too far down but they're all fine. Also, usually if he chews too far down he will limp but not yelp/try not to use the leg.
    My uncle has a JRT who is about his size and they are both the type of dogs who like to walk around on their back legs and hop around on their back legs- she was just at the vet about two weeks ago with the same symptoms as Tequila, vet said it looks like she's been too hard on her back and is having authritis... but she is also about 10 y/o I believe. It is still possible that he has done something to his back though.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    People were not trying to make you feel bad but they were wondering why you let it go so long. When you post on a public forum that your dog is in severe pain and can't walk you are going to have to expect these kinds of reactions. I sincerely hope your little guy will be ok but lets face it.. its not fair to the animal who is suffering to not get treated.. regardless of the issues. Have you contacted your vet to make a payment plan arrangement? Either way.. please get him checked out. If YOU couldn't walk wouldn't YOU fo to the doctor? Animals have the right to be treated for their medical needs too!''

Wishing your little guy a a speedy recovery!

This! I was going to suggest speaking to your vet regarding a payment plan. Most vets offer this option to their patients as vet bills can be quite costly. Also, if you cannot get time off of work here are a few things you may want to consider. A) Asking someone close to you that you trust to take him to the vet for you IE your fiance, family member or close friend B) Asking your vet if they could do a before hours or after hours appointment C) Many cities have walk in/ emergency clinics that are open 24 hours a day. If all other options fail, you can always resort to this. Ask the clinic if they have a payment plan option.

Most vets are very understanding and accommodating. If you explain your situation to them, they most likely will do their best to work with you.

Another suggestion for you, considering you are having financial issues, is look into getting pet insurance for your little guy. Granted they do not cover preexisting conditions, but it may help you in the future if unforeseen issues arise. You vet should have pamphlets on pet insurance as well.

Best of luck to you and hope your little guy feels better soon.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Nearly every city/town has a 24 hour emergency vet. Go find one.

Secondly, most vets will help you with a payment plan as long as you are upfront about your inability to pay in full and the care is urgent.

Please take your dog to the vet immediately. You would feel horrible if he were permanently injured because you waited too long to get him veternary care.
  • LaComadreja14
    Options
    If they don't want to get up but can sit and lay down it is a back problem in my experience. My little buddy threw out his back last year.

While back problems are not common with chihuahuas, the problem all small dogs face as they get older is that their joints are breaking down, not necessarily arthritis. The thing is: small dogs jump to get everywhere. On the couch and off, on the bed and off, in the car and out. Jumping up makes them stand a bit and requires a lot of upper body strength to haul themselves onto their target. Jumping down compresses the spine as they land front feet first.

My dog had hurt himself in the jumping process without us even catching it. We put him on a pillow and carried him around so we didn't lift him by the middle and make it worse.

After that, vet visit.

Remember the quality of life for your beloved pet. We want them around forever, but if it gets to a point where you have to make a decision--think of your pet and not yourself. Good luck! I hope the little guy feels better!

Quality of life vs. length of life is a conversation that we have a lot in my home. We resuce ferrets, one of which has insulinoma and adrenal disease (also he has prostate issues stemming from the adrenal disease and he is deaf. He has ulcers and is starting to form cateracts)... he has some really bad days but most are good days, he is still the first to wake up, attack random strangers, chase the Tequila around and he is the last to go to bed at night. When he first started with insulinoma, he was having seizures and we had a lot of problems getting his meds regulated for some reason- we thought about it and discussed it with his vet who advised against it at the time, glad we didn't do it because now he is better but it is a conversation we are familiar with. We don't plan on keeping anyone of our babies longer than what is comfortable for them, it's all about giving them a happy life not keeping them for our pleasure. I am just glad that my fiancee and I are on the same page about deciding when the time is right.

I know that usually, luxating patella is the most common leg problem with chihuahuas- I really don't think thats it though (and I could be totally wrong, I'll leave that up to the vet) In the first place, I only considered hip dysplasia because it is a common hip problem and thats where the pain seems to be centrally located. When I saw the video of the weenie dog walking around... it looked so much like Tequila when the tramadol is first starting to kick in, before its taking full affect. I really think that might be it, as uncommon as it is in Chi's or a back problem because he puts a lot of strain on his back (he likes to climb, jump off everything and stand/walk on his hind legs)
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    and I have to go with him because he will attack anyone else who takes him + the vet if I am not there. They put a muzzle on him once but it only made it worse. I am just in a *kitten* situation and needed to talk until I can see the vet.

I am hoping that he doesn't have to end up being on a pain killer/anti-inflamatory for his entire life because I worry about what will happen to his liver/kidneys. I'm also afraid of surgery because he'll probably have to stay over night at the vets and as previously stated, he isn't exactly friendly despite years of being brought every where with me and being held by tons of different people, when he was young he would tolerate it but after a few thermomaters up the bum he started hating the vet and by age three he decided most of anyone who isnt myself or my fiancee is his enemy.

Ahhh....I just suggested you ask someone else to take him to the vet for you. I understand now why you cannot do this. I would not feel comfortable asking someone else to take him and risk being bit. Is your fiance able to take him to the vet for you?

I can understand your concern with the pain killers and liver/kidney problems as a result. I was in the same situation recently with my cat. She was older when I adopted her and declawed. The vet that did the declawing messed up her foot pretty bad. She now limps from time to time. I had two options 1) Putting her in for surgery 2) putting her on pain killers. Both were not good options. She has a heart murmur and surgery (because of age and condition) could result in death. The only pain killer avail for cats is metacam, which is known to cause vital organ failure. Either way, it is a no win situation. I opted for the meds on an "as needed basis" with constant monitoring by my vet for any signs of failure. Anyhow, your fears are completely valid. Try not to jump the gun yet with all of the "what-ifs". Doing this will only drive you nuts and stress you out.
  • LaComadreja14
    Options
    We have an 8 y/o, 40 pound shepard mix that has hind leg problems on the right. He always sits how you've described--with one leg out to the side a bit like it doesn't want to bend correctly. Vet said he has a weak achille's tendon. We give him meds. Mild anti inflammatory and a mild pain killer, when the weather gets cold here and he's hurting as per Vet instructions.

Get him to a vet! Could be just a pulled muscle or something more serious, like a slight "neurological event" as they call it these days--fancy words for a small stroke. If you love him as much as you say you do---take him TODAY!!!!

Good luck!

It isn't likely to be neurological, since he corrects his paws when I put them knuckle down. The achille's tendon is a new one on me... Even though it seems to be his hip thats giving him issues, I will have to ask the vet about it when we go in... it has been getting chillier.
  • LaComadreja14
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. If it's problems with the back legs, it could be something with the spine. The vet would be able to give the best diagnosis. I have three rescued chihuahuas so I totally get it. All of mine have issues -- diabetes, epilepsy and colitus so I know about being a walking, talking pharmacy / favorite of the vet.

Best wishes! Keep us informed.

Angie
    (Bailey, Rocky and Chloe, too)

Thank you so much, its hard to balance everything at once. General daily bills plus vet bills and my fiancee not having insurance bills plus cars breaking down.. its enough to drive a woman mad. I am going nuts over it and I can't wait to just get him in and get it taken care of, get some peice of mind.
  • LaComadreja14
    Options
    My dog (a small lab mix) has patellar luxation in both kness, and she is never in that amount of pain. Sounds like something a lot more serious. The vet is going to be your best bet in diagnosis and treatment for what ever is ailing your poor baby.

Thank you, I figured as much. We're working on getting him over there asap.
  • LaComadreja14
    Options
    I'm not sure on common problems in chihuahuas but my Jack Russell terrier had a knee problem on his hind leg at 3 years old. We were told it was a common problem in Jack Russells and he had to have an operation on his knee ligaments to set it right and if it didn't work he would have ot have another one to make his knee joint larger to fit the bone in properly. Luckily the first operation worked and he's had no more problems other than 'skipping' while he walks but apparently that's a common JR trait anyway.

I would take him to the vets straight away and explain what happened. I hope he gets better soon, it's so sad to see our pets in pain. :(

Thank you, its really difficult to see him in pain and I am doing the best I can w/ everything but when it rains it pours. I had to use practically all of my savings to fix my car and help my fiancee with his hospital bills as he doesn't have insurance and almost had a heat stroke at work.. most of his money goes to that and he had to fix HIS car- boy was it fun to have them both not wanting to start at the same time. On top of that it is incredibly difficult for me to get off of work so finding time to get him there isn't easy either.

Luxating patella is usually the knee problem that affects Chis but it doesn't fit with whats going on with him.
  • LaComadreja14
    Options
    "He isn't paralyzed, just in pain" - this is SO much worse! He deserves better than this...

He does but if I loose my job he wont be getting to a vet any time sooner now will he? I am managing the pain and doing the best I can for him.

If you aren't in my shoes you have no right to judge me, I came here looking for people to talk to inorder to keep myself sane until I can get him to the vet TOMMORROW not to be made to feel like a monster.
  • LaComadreja14
    Options
    So, if you got sick, you wouldn't be able to call in and take a day off because no one knows how to use the system? That makes no sense.

No. I tried to call out and was told to get my butt to work. Sorry if it doesn't make sense to you but thats what happend and what can I do about it? Get myself fired? No thank you.
    When you adopt an animal, you have a responsibility to ensure that the animal is looked after. I'm sorry if you feel that you aren't getting the support you want, but in my opinion, your dog isn't getting what HE needs.

"He isn't paralysed - just in pain."

You consider yourself this animal's "mom". If you had an actual child and didn't get him or her adequate medical treatment, charges could be laid. Again, I'm sorry if you feel bad about the way people are reacting, but in my opinion, you are not being a responsible pet owner and you are not being kind to this animal.

What am I going to do? Loose my job? Give him up because I can't get him to the vet before tomorrow? You people are out of your mind and some of the meanest people I have ever met. If you were in my situation I doubt that you would give up your pet because its going to take you a few days to get him to the vet. I am operating under council of their office, doing what they told me to do- you really think that you know better than them? When I got Tequila I didn't exactly know that I would be in this situation ever- who expects that? It just happened at an aweful, aweful time. Believe me, if I had money and I could afford an emergancy vet he would've been there Sunday
  • LaComadreja14
    Options
    I had the same problem last month with my puppy lilly she is a pug cross.
    I contacted the vet and was told to rest her for two days if she wasn,t any better to take her to the vet which i did the vet thought she may of broken her leg after sedation and x-rays they found nothing wrong but they think she had ligament damage they gave her antiflamatrys and after one dose she was back to normal.:0)
    Just a thought to as you said fiancees are difficult have you thought about getting pet insurance?
    I,m currently paying 20 pound a month on pet insurance to cover vet bills when i need them thats for lilly the dog and phoenix the cat.
    Its worth while as this cover covers me for 75 pound excess fee and the rest the insurance pays out for up to 4000 a year.
    Hope this helps i feel for you as i know how heartbreaking it is to see your baby,s in pain.

Thank you so much, I am considering pet insurance actually. I am trying to find the best one, which one do you have?
  • LaComadreja14
    Options

I hope you get off tomorrow and get him there. I know all about the lack of cash thing but atleast here in uk we have nhs health care, wouldn't fancy having to do what you guys do. hope he gets back to his old self soon.:smile:
    [/quote]

Thank you so much. It's like everytime I turn around something else happens and I'm just at a loss. I feel like- what else can be throw my way? How am I supposed to handle all of this? When I got my pets I didn't expect to have all of this fall in my lap, I didn't expect my fiancee to loose a job where he had insurance. I didn't expect to have all of these problems happen at once to where I have almost no money to my name. I appreciate you understanding that I am only a human who is doing the best I can, under direction of a vets office, to help my baby.