How do you measure oil?

2»

Replies

• Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    1.Pull out the dip stick and wipe it off on a clean, lint-free rag.

2.Insert the stick back into the pipe.

3.Pull the dipstick out again and look at the film of oil on the end of the stick.

4.Put the dipstick back into the pipe. You’re done!

:)

There is a step missing from your process.......

First locate your dipstick!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Oil won't evaporate much, but everything you put in the pan does not necessarily get absorbed in your food and eaten either. Was there oil visibily left in the pan? Some will undoubtedly be left in/on the pan.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Use an oil sprayer...like Misto which you can get at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $10

You can get these at places like Wal-Mart or Target also. Any The Pampered Chef has a very expensive model. I have several that I keep different oils in.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    get a non stick griddle and a light dusting of oil.. if you don't have pam take a paper towel and dip it in olive oil and do a quick rub down on the griddle.. You will be good to go.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    Also, I'll get a non-stick pan for sure. It's a worthwhile investment. =D Just not sure how pancake will taste without the slightly greasy feel to it. ^__^

Honestly, they should taste great. Pancakes aren't supposed to be greasy.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Do you have any American friends or family that would be willng to send you the cooking spray?
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    ok.

So far, these are the 2 solutions that I hear:

1. Get a non-stick pan and eliminate olive oil all together
    2. Get a sprayer to spray the oil or get PAM

Oh ya, by the way, I do not live in USA so these things you talk about it pretty foreign to me. I lived in US before so I know Bed, Bath and Beyond (they went bankrupt a few years back!) and PAM is the cooking spray. I've used PAM in the past and I was highly satisfied!

But now I am back in a third world Asian country where majority of people still eat WHITE rice and no one cares for PAM or almond flour, etc etc. I cannot even find Greek Yogurt in the hypermarket, so much so that I resorted to making Greek Yogurt myself!

My point is, it's hard to get PAM. Even if I get it, it will be super super expensive (imported goods).

But I guess, it all boils down to how much I am willing to do the tradeoff between healthy living, good-tasting food, and losing fat. Pancake is not a must. It's just a craving resulting from years of eating pancake in USA. =/

Bed Bath and Beyond is not Bankrupt, I live in Canada and we have one in Edmonton which I shop at whenever I'm in the city. If it isn't in your country you can simply shop online: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/search/search.aspx/non-stick-spray/?sstr=non-stick+spray&grid=20&dim=1&nty=1&

Although, my Mom made her own spray bottle and it works just fine. She pours olive oil into her little spray bottle and bam! - her own spray that didn't cost a dime. If you're not able to get a sprayer or purchase online or use Pam or any of the above continue to use your 5tbsp and drain off afterward and measure what is left to see what wasn't left. Personally, I'd pour the oil in the pan, swish the pan to cover the bottom and then pour out excess BEFORE cooking to eliminate the excess fat. A trick my Mom used when I was a kid was to use a paper towel and wipe the oil on. Barely used any more than completely neccessary to prevent sticking. Hope you are able to find a solution.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    There is no such thing as a fat-free, calorie-free olive oil spray from PAM. Please read the nutrition label, how do you measure a 1/3 of a second of spray? A 1/3 of a second of spray has no calories no oil according to the guidelines. If you can actually cook with a 1/3 of a second of spray, then your good.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    I lived in US before so I know Bed, Bath and Beyond (they went bankrupt a few years back!) and PAM is the cooking spray.

Bed Bath and Beyond is not Bankrupt, I live in Canada and we have one in Edmonton which I shop at whenever I'm in the city. If it isn't in your country you can simply shop online: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/search/search.aspx/non-stick-spray/?sstr=non-stick+spray&grid=20&dim=1&nty=1&

Off-topic, but that is correct. Bed, Bath and Beyond did not go bankrupt. You are probably confusing them with their old competitor, Linens 'n Things, which did go bankrupt.
  • leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    I lived in US before so I know Bed, Bath and Beyond (they went bankrupt a few years back!) and PAM is the cooking spray.

Off-topic, but that is correct. Bed, Bath and Beyond did not go bankrupt. You are probably confusing them with their old competitor, Linens 'n Things, which did go bankrupt.

You were right. I did get my facts mixed up with Linen 'n Things. ^.^

Ok people. I shall heed your advice and go for non-stick pan + dipping some oil on a cloth and rub it on the pan. =D
    I always feel like oil evaporate a lot because when I pour 1 tablespoon and spread across the pan (24cm), after 30 seconds or so under the fire stove, white smoke comes up and the oil are no longer visible. That' why I got confused.

By the way, the pancakes were soooooooooooo filling! Yummmmmmy.