Cancer

Options
There was a post earlier about Cancer..

I'm a childhood cancer survivor, but I cannot speak much to it, as I was so young that I do not remember. My best friends' father passed last night after his months long battle with brain cancer. My mother is fighting with every ounce of strength that she has just to make it to Christmas. It's not easy, folks.

Although I was extremely upset, and quite furious with the original post, my heart was overflowing with love and compassion, as I saw so many of you on here posting personal experiences, be it yourself or a friend or family member that has fought this battle, whether winning or losing.

To all of you, and to those of you who didn't see the post, but are out there, fighting or rooting for someone in this fight, I want you to know that you inspire me. Your families inspire me. Your friends inspire me. Thank you for fighting.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    There was a post earlier about Cancer.

I'm a childhood cancer survivor, but I cannot speak much to it, as I was so young that I do not remember. My best friends' father passed last night after his months long battle with brain cancer. My mother is fighting with every ounce of strength that she has just to make it to Christmas. It's not easy, folks.

Although I was extremely upset, and quite furious with the original post, my heart was overflowing with love and compassion, as I saw so many of you on here posting personal experiences, be it yourself or a friend or family member that has fought this battle, whether winning or losing.

To all of you, and to those of you who didn't see the post, but are out there, fighting or rooting for someone in this fight, I want you to know that you inspire me. Your families inspire me. Your friends inspire me. Thank you for fighting.

+1

I've lost so many loved ones to this disease.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I don't like to talk about my personal experience with cancer. But I was not spared seeing it first hand. I need a hug.
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I saw the post and responded... grrr! thanks for your lovely post !
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I don't like to talk about my personal experience with cancer. But I was not spared seeing it first hand. I need a hug.

(((hug))) sweetheart.
  • My3Rayz
    My3Rayz Posts: 373
    Options
    :heart: Eloquently put!
  • 500lbs2marathon
    500lbs2marathon Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    YOU and your MOM inspire me Danielle... Love you!!!!! (((( Hugs ))))
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I have lost my aunt to this terrible disease as I mentioned in the other post and my husband's grandmother was recently dignosed with cancer as well. Thanks for your fantastic post.

Sending lots of hugs, prayers, and good thoughts to you and your friend as you deal with these tough times. Cancer is quite evil and vicious. :flowerforyou:
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I saw the post and replied, too. YOU have inspired me with your story, so thank you. I've lost so many in my family to cancer and some are still fighting. Sometimes it's hard to be the one spared from it because you wish you could take the suffering away from your loved ones. Hugs/prayers/positive thoughts to those who have shared their stories here.
  • donne103
    donne103 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Very well put. We just lost my MIL to her second long battle of breast cancer, in March. She was only 48, her first battle she was 33. It's devastating and has really rocked our family.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

*hug*
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    There was a post earlier about Cancer.

FTW^^^^^^^
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    8 years ago I watched my father die from Bowel Cancer. He died only 3 weeks after being diagnosed. The last week of his live, my mother, my brother and I, sat by his bed for about 22 hours per day.

:cry:
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    Cancer is a b!tch. it took my mom. both my grandpas at early ages, my aunt, my grandma, my friend... and even threatened me.

Cancer doesn't discriminate, it doesn't care how much money you have or don't have, it doesn't care who you know, it doesn't give a *kitten* about your plans for life, and it doesn't care if you have "time" to be sick... in fact, it likes to come at the most inconvenient times possible.

Give to cancer research if you can, donate to foundations like Make A Wish, Ronald McDonald House, or your local charity hospitals. And if you can't afford to do those things? donate your time. Don't have time? then take care of yourself. do your best, and hope someone has time for you when it's your turn.
  • misstonico
    Options
    I've lost many loved ones to cancer and have been through it twice myself (original cancer and secondary cancer caused by treatment for original oy!);
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    more ((hugs))! :heart:

I know what you are going through- watching my dad and grandma fight it changed my life. I really hope your mom can survive it! Many positive and healing thoughts for you and your mom!!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have lost 2 immediate family members to cancer in 18 months time (brother/father). and many other relatives..

Hugs to all whom have been affected by this terrible disease!!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Thank heaven for the advances that have been made in prevention and treatment. Still... cancer remains just as real and ugly as it has ever been.

In this battle, the worst thing we could do is underestimate the enemy.

God bless those who have fought the battle, and their loved ones.
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    i have an interesting story: when my baby brother, mark, (who is now 39) was 4-years-old, he was diagnosed with aplastic anemia. he was the real "boy in the plastic bubble". my older brother, hector, who was 17, gave him his bone marrow making him the first successful case at rainbow babies & children's hospital in cleveland, ohio.

in an ironic turn of events, hector passed away on february 17, 2009 from.....leukemia....only 9 short days after being diagnosed.

easy to cure?? fairly certain the answer to that is a resounding NO considering there was a 33 year gap between both of my brothers' cases.

on a side note, my husband has his masters in tumor biology (specifically, breast cancer research) and can't find a job to save his life. makes you wonder if they're *really* trying to find a cure....
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm in a cancer sandwich of sorts. My daughter, who is now 13, has been battling leukemia since she was 9 just went through a bone marrow transplant in March because of it relapsing. That was tough on my husband, son and myself as for 6 months we never got to live together as a family.

Shortly before my daughter finished her first round of 2.5 years of chemotherapy, my father was diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer.

I have had multiple other family members lost to this horrid disease also, all terminal when diagnosed, many of them didn't have any symptoms that they were ill.

It's a tough road and anyone that has to travel it has all the respect I can give, because, though it's easy to give up, it's much tougher to fight.