First Mile

Options
Does anyone else struggle with the first mile of their run? It doesn't matter how great of shape I am in, how much I slept, the weather, or if I ate good... the first mile of my run is a killer! I cant breath I get tired my form sucks and I struggle. Then after one mile... fine good form can breath/talk everything is normal. I don't get it. I Wondering if anyone has a trick or suggestion for getting past this.

Thanks!

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I think everyone's first mile sucks! I've read that time and time again on here... :)
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I talk about this all the time, because the first mile for me of ANY run sucks! For me, its not about the breathing, but my legs and feet 'getting into the groove.' My shins and toes rebel for the first 10 minutes:)
    After that I am good to go and fine for the remainder!
  • dickson006
    Options
    Do you do a warm up?
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I think it's rough because your body needs time to adapt to the activity you're performing. You need to get into a rhythmn with your body and your breathing patterns have to change.

Shannon
  • windyweather88
    Options
    It's because you're body is just warming up. Also, if you're running in the morning, your body has to wake up too.
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Mine is the first 3/4 mile, then my mind wanders and I am not thinking of the hurts and pains.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    The first 5-10 minutes are the worst, most painful, most dreadful, worst...said that already, huh? I have to push myself through the first mile or so, after that I actually start thinking about how to add mileage/time to my run. So, yeah, I guess this is normal.
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It's always good to see I am not alone :)