Which protein powder would you recomend?

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Whatever you choose, look at the label before you buy. There are a zillion different options, and a lot of them differ in what they offer (or try to sneak in). Some are strictly protein, some are closer to meal replacement as they have fat and carbs as well (muscle milk, for example), or have a long list of vitamins and minerals. Cholesterol is also something to watch.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I use Jillian Michaels chocolate whey ... I've had a scoop of it, 8 oz of skim milk, and a tablespoon of peanut butter blended up for my breakfast for the past week -- YUM! it's 330 calories and keeps me full until noon :) I'm sure doing that with other protein would work too, but Jillian's is at Target and cheap!
  • CandeesLand
    Options
    I use BSN Syntha-6 and I order it on Amazon, I really like all the flavors and I love that it has fiber in it.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I use the one that's endorsed by The Biggest Loser. It might taste a tad plain when mixed with water, but each scoop has only 50 calories, 6g of protein, and 6g of fiber. It will fill you up, and it tastes even better when mixed with nonfat milk.

Wow that product is definately riping you off on the protein! Most whey protein powders have 100-130 cals a scoop and 26g protein. you'd need 4 scoops of your product (200 cals) to match that plus it looks like there are probably a lot of carbs due to the fiber content which defeats the purpose of a whey protein shake to replenish the muscles. FYI you may want to switch when you are done that jar.

I buy a store brand Healthy Planet, tastes great, 123 cals, 0 sugar, 2 carbs, 26g protein and you can't beat the price $29 for 5 lbs!

I tried a sample recently of Dymatize Elite Whey Protein Isolate in Rich Chocolate and that was excellent! Mixed even better than Healthy Planet, 117 cals, 0 sugar, 2 carbs 24g protein and at the Healthy Planet store its $52 for 5 lbs and they have a $5 off coupon online now. On the official Dymatize Nutrition site the product is sold online for $80, yikes!

http://healthyplanetcanada.com/
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Precision Sport Supplements - Iso-Pro Low Carb Whey Protein. Best calorie to protein ratio on the market.

1 scoop is 150 calories, 35g protein, 1g carb, 0 fat.

Avoid anything endorsed by big names like Jillian Michaels or Biggest Loser. You're paying for the endorsement, and usually getting a sub-par product.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that muscle milk is the MOST horrible thing I have ever tasted!!! DO NOT buy Muscle Milk. It doesn't dissolve and is all chunky. It makes me want to throw up (unfortunatelly I bought a big tub of it)
    I love EAS Whey protein in chocolate, 130 calories 23 grams of protein and 1 gram of sugar. It is wonderful and dissolves nicely even when I dont have my blender.

Happy shopping!!

Try selling it on Craig's List if the store won't return it, I bet someone will want it!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're looking for.

If you want taste:

XF Ultra Peptide - Lemon Cream Pie
    Myofusion
    BSN Syntha 6
    Magnum Quattro Neutraceuticals (low carb and fat)

If you want price and low carb/fat:

Optimum Nutrition Gold 100% Whey (it tastes ok, but nothing like the ones above , especially XF)
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options

If you want taste:

Myofusion
    BSN Syntha 6

Optimum Nutrition Gold 100% Whey (it tastes ok, but nothing like the ones above , especially XF)

Which one of those has a good raito of free form, as well as di and tripeptides (say 3 to 1)and to protect against gluconeogenosis?
  • joejccva71
    Options

If you want taste:

Myofusion
    BSN Syntha 6

Which one of those has a good raito of free form, as well as di and tripeptides (say 3 to 1)and to protect against gluconeogenosis?

I guess I really need to know this if I want my sports nutrition cert.

Edit: All of them do.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For everyone concerned about taste... don't forget how individual taste is. There have been a couple of bad "reviews" in this thread about muscle milk. I happen to love the taste of MM.

All that said, I realized I never gave a recommendation...

I'm currently using GNC Pro Performance AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 (chocolate). Tastes really good, has a good cal/carb/protein ratio, and has more potassium that most other protein supplements that I've looked at. It's pricey, but for something like this I don't mind paying a bit more to get something better.

• joejccva71
    Options
    And none of them will protect against gluconeogenosis. Eating sufficient carb intake will protect against it.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I don't buy protein for the flavor, I buy it for the content. Low calories, high protein, cheap price....that is all.

Now if two are about the same content wise, then flavor is something I look at.

I've tried:

Higher Power (Not bad, but watery but also very cost effective)
    Pure Protein (Not bad, but again cheap)
    Myofusion (Best one I've tasted but a bit more expensive than the above)
    6 Star (Not bad either but not my favorite)
    Dymatize Elite (This was on par with Higher Power but mroe expensive)

Right now I use Higher Power because it has decent content and a good price. I could get bettet ratios or taste with other proteins but IMO, it does not justify the price difference.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I need to buy a protein powder, I want something really good, thanks!

Lots of options obviously and they can vary in quality..If quality is your main concern something like myogenix evolution raw is up there with the highest quality PP..But with that comes a higher cost. If you are looking for something cheaper a suggestion is to see that the company who's protein you are interested in can provide a lab analysis so you can be sure you are getting what you pay for. The more high quality protein powders will cost a bit more but when you view the cost per serving compared to whole food source it is still a good deal..
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options

If you want taste:

Myofusion
    BSN Syntha 6

Certain situations result in accelerated gluconeogenesis and protein breakdown. Exercise being one of those situations of course..Tipton did a study that showed EAA and carbohydrates immediately before resitance training resulted in significantly increased net MPS which lasted well beyond the completion of exercise. In fact it increased during exercise, started to decline and upon completion of training spiked again. So this would not be a real concern..At some point in say the several hours after training you eat again However in a situation where you did not follow this protocol it may be optimal to consume some food/protein not to long after completion of your training to go from a net catabolic state to net anabolic..Also you see some research suggesting a role in BCAA specifically leucine and possibly carbohydrates to potentially overcome the refractory response of MPS to elevations of AA..

But gluconeogenesis is not always the bad guy..It plays an important role in the maintenance of blood glucose levels..And amino acids are not the only molecules that contribute to this pathway..Lactate for example which is produced at higher rates during intense exercise is also involved in this pathway. This cycle is a relatively efficient way to reutilize the products of glycolysis and again, helping to maintain blood glucose and prolonged muscle glycolysis.
  • Javajunkie67
    Javajunkie67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Marking my spot for later.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition. My absolute favorite.

check online for good flavors. I like chocolate mint (tastes like girl scout cookies) mocha cappuccino and blueberry.

bodybuilding.com is where i order from

Nice feedback on the Chocolate Mint version, I'll try that next time. I've tried Cookies N Cream and Extreme Chocolate and the CnC is my favorite so far.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I use three different powders for three different scenarios...

1. I use Myofusion (best tasting) in the morning as a meal replacement/supplement/head start on my protein macro
    2. I use GNC Amp 60 chocolate for recovery
    3. I use Probolic-SR chocolate (I like chocolate...sue me) for a night time shake for slow release protein while I sleep.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    I used Six Star, but that stuff was really hard to mix up. Left me with protein globs sticking to my teeth. When I switched to Muscle milk ( you can get a 6 lb bag of it for $40 at Costco), it mixed up way easier, and I didn't feel like I was chewing it. It tasted better too in my opinion.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    I can tell you that muscle milk is the MOST horrible thing I have ever tasted!!! DO NOT buy Muscle Milk. It doesn't dissolve and is all chunky. It makes me want to throw up (unfortunatelly I bought a big tub of it)
    I love EAS Whey protein in chocolate, 130 calories 23 grams of protein and 1 gram of sugar. It is wonderful and dissolves nicely even when I dont have my blender.

Happy shopping!!

I had that exact problem with Six Star!!! But when I bought Muscle Milk, it mixed up perfectly!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i dont really notice that it doesnt dissolve, it seems about the same as all the others in that respect, but using normal protein shakes actually sparked off a lactose intolerance for me which lasted several months, and muscle milk is the only one i can tolerate without feeling seriously ill afterwards, plus the cookies n creme tastes like icecream. Im surprised you dont like it