Sneaking Protein

I realized I really need to up my protein intake so I bought some protein powder. It tastes terrible, but I'm limited to just a few options because it needs to be vegan and gluten free. I've been trying to sneak it into oatmeal, but it still wrecks the taste. Any low-calorie (non artificial sweetener) ideas to help cover the taste in oatmeal or anybody mix their protein in other ways? Any non terrible tasting vegan gluten free protein powder suggestions are also welcome. I use RAW. Yuck.

Replies

• Slugsasarus
    Slugsasarus Posts: 76 Member
    I'm vegan too, and I'll usually eat plain oatmeal with chocolate flavored soy protein powder (I don't know if it's gluten free) and then I add peanut butter as well to the oatmeal. It tastes great, fills you up, and gives you a good dose of protein!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I can't help with the protien powder since I've never tried it, but why not just eat beans and nuts?
  • I mixed mine with my cream of wheat (I guess it would be the same in oatmeal) I only did half a scoop and figure I will add the other half in later. I also use splenda about two teaspoons. I could sort of tell the dif in the texture, but not enough to put me off my breakfast.
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Have u tried making smoothies with the protein powder? U can use almond milk, strawberry or vanilla protein powder, frozen or fresh strawberries, a banana if u like, or any fruit really.....it makes delicious smoothies...just a suggestion :)
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    It sounds horrible but it tastes yummy. Mix choc protein powder with 20g ground almonds and 20g peanut butter, with a little soy milk until you like the consistency. It's like a chocolate peanut butter pudding
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    It sounds horrible but it tastes yummy. Mix choc protein powder with 20g ground almonds and 20g peanut butter, with a little soy milk until you like the consistency. It's like a chocolate peanut butter pudding

That doesn't sound horrible at all, sounds delish!!!
  • Thanks for all the tips! The peanut butter idea seems to be the easiest, but that pudding sounds deelish too! I like the smoothie idea, but in the winter I want something to warm me up. Thanks so much!!