2»

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on it for GD...
    I didn't see this before I posted.
    Good luck to you! Congratulations!

edited to add: next time OP...provide all the necessary information first, and you'll get better responses
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I should clarify, I guess. I am on a specifice amount of carbs for each meal & snack ... per my doctors. I never said I did not do it in a healthy way.
    I can't be the only one. Just thought I would find someone in the same situation.
    ALL of this is done with doctors orders to keep me off insulin.
    I think it makes sense... since it is working!

I did have this for my first child. I liked having the guidelines for what to eat for the meals, but it was much higher carb count than I normally ate, so it didn't seem low carb to me.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, your developing fetus needs the carbs for proper development. Talk to your doctor to make sure you are getting what you need for the baby.

Fats and proteins are what is important. No human being NEEDS carbs, not even a developing baby.

To the OP, there are plenty of women that are doing a controlled carb eating plan while pregnant.

Fill your plate with fats and proteins and lots of vegetables. You will dramatically decrease your chances of getting gestational Diabetes or if you have it, it will control it beautifully.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

I have seen this before. It makes me SO angry! You should definitely be eating carbs during your pregnancy. Your diabetes association may have some information online for gestational diabetes and diet. Or perhaps you could request to see a dietitian?

It shouldn't make you angry. We don't need carbs first off and if a woman is eating a lot of vegetables, keeping fruit intake to a minimum and getting adequate fat and protein the baby will be healthier than most when born.

People need to get out of their minds that carbs are a necessity when they are not. Developing babies need FAT more than anything. The main component in breast milk is saturated fats - so fat is most important for a developing fetus.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    This topic makes me want to scream.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options

I have seen this before. It makes me SO angry! You should definitely be eating carbs during your pregnancy. Your diabetes association may have some information online for gestational diabetes and diet. Or perhaps you could request to see a dietitian?

She never said she was eating NO carbs. She said LOW carb. And the dietitian is most likely going to give her the same plan. I get between 15 and 30 grams of carbs per MEAL not per day. I'm supposed to eat 3 meals a day. I'm not pregnant, but my dietitian works with diabetics and I'm in the pre-diabetic category.

Just because someone uses the word "diet" doesn't mean they are trying to lose weight. Some people go on a specific diet to gain weight. Technically, the definition of "diet" is food and drink regularly provided consumed or habitual nourishment and any way a person is eating is their "diet."
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    when i had gestational diabetes, i ate a controlled carb diet. i had 2 snacks around 15 grams of carbs, breakfast at 15 grams carbs and lunch and supper were around 30 grams carbs.

for breakfast, i ate a half of banana and a string cheese and several pickles.
    for the morning snack, i had a glass of chocolate milk and some nuts and jerky.
    for lunch, i had a sandwich (tuna, egg salad, lunch meat, peanut butter, etc), some veggies and a yogurt.
    for the afternoon snack, i had a small piece of fruit (like a plum) or half of a large piece (like an orange) and more jerky
    for supper, i ate chicken, fish or steak with rice, noodles, or potatoes, and more veggies. and several pickles.
    if i was hungry before bed, i had popcorn. it didn't seem to do much damage to my morning fasting reading.

i could not eat cereal. my blood sugar always spiked with cereal, didn't matter the brand or time of day. i could not eat yogurt for breakfast but it was fine for lunch or supper. use trial and error and you will find what works for you.

good luck!
  • auctoritas
    Options
    Fat is actually the most important thing for a developing fetus. There are several people who have blogged about paleo babies - eating paleo diets during pregnancy. It's really quite fascinating. I mean, would you rather feed your newborn breastmilk, or a loaf of bread? The breastmilk is high in fat and protein, and carbs are almost non-existent. Here are a couple of paleo baby blogs - the women all had much easier pregnancies and more temperate, well-behaved children. :)

http://hawaiianlibertarian.blogspot.com/2011/05/paleo-baby.html
    http://www.thepaleobaby.com/
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Still trying to figure out how a growing fetus needs tortillas and pasta for their brain development.

Why does low carb = no carb to so many people?

If I were to get pregnant (and I wont)...I'd totally do low carb...I'd keep it under 100g per day which is a huge increase to where I am now (since I dont eat many vegetables or fruits cause I dont want to) and that's leaving a huge amount of wiggle room for fruits and vegetables...and maybe I wouldn't gain 50lbs :)

And i'd keep my baby on a no sugar/no grain diet from the get-go. Too bad I'm retired.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Fat is actually the most important thing for a developing fetus. There are several people who have blogged about paleo babies - eating paleo diets during pregnancy. It's really quite fascinating. I mean, would you rather feed your newborn breastmilk, or a loaf of bread? The breastmilk is high in fat and protein, and carbs are almost non-existent. Here are a couple of paleo baby blogs - the women all had much easier pregnancies and more temperate, well-behaved children. :)

http://hawaiianlibertarian.blogspot.com/2011/05/paleo-baby.html
    http://www.thepaleobaby.com/

and I read that breastfed babies are often in ketosis (but obviously they're getting plenty to eat to which they gain weight)...which gives them that yummy breath (not so yummy in adults). Quite interesting.
  • jal239
    jal239 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have 2 children and had GD with both pregnancies. The goal is to monitor what you eat. You don't want to eat all carbs which will send your blood sugar through the roof. You should be eating carbs throughout the day but you should monitor how much you eat at each snack and meal. You can ask your doctor to reccomend a nutritionist that specializes in GD. They are trained to help educate you on the things you should be eating while pregnant. I was very strict with my diet while pregnant and both of my children were healthy. Heck, with my first pregnancy I only gained 7 lbs. Good luck to you and congratulations!!!
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

It shouldn't make you angry. We don't need carbs first off and if a woman is eating a lot of vegetables, keeping fruit intake to a minimum and getting adequate fat and protein the baby will be healthier than most when born.

People need to get out of their minds that carbs are a necessity when they are not. Developing babies need FAT more than anything. The main component in breast milk is saturated fats - so fat is most important for a developing fetus.

^this^
    Thanks, Grokette, you always put things so clearly!
    It's ok to avoid processed and refined carbs. There is nothing in a bowl of pasta or Kraft Mac & Cheese that the baby needs.