Replies

• Moofey
    Moofey Posts: 444
    Options
    Oh yeah, the veterinarian had his wife working with him
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Why don't you stay at your current job and take some classes. With a degree or some type of cert you should make more.
    Agreed. Set yourself for future success in the field you love. Will you want to be a vet tech in 10 years? 20 years?

Agree. You can always get a job as a vet tech and go to school. I have been going to school part time for the last 5 years. Although I do not have my degree yet, I am able to use what I am learning daily.

Indeed.com for jobs and salary trends.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    you can also look into volunteering at animal shelters and such while you're in your current job. that makes for good animal experience, which could bump your pay up a little.

+1
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

(the insurance is why it is expensive)

I bet the insurance on a used Corolla is cheaper...
  • Moofey
    Options
    I think I will look into volunteering :)

Thank you all for your wonderful advice!
  • Moofey
    Options

(the insurance is why it is expensive)

I bet the insurance on a used Corolla is cheaper...

After my wreck and ticket from the wreck... Not really, the wreck was a big mess and was caused by obstructed view. My parents and I sat down and looked at the insurance, compared them to what I am driving now, 15 dollar difference... Haha, I am dead serious about that one. Corollas are really nice cars though! :)
  • Colemanlo1
    Colemanlo1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You should check into working as a vet tech at a University. I work at Oklahoma State University and can tell you that they pay their techs well (more than you make now), plus it would be a State job with good leave benefits, Health Benefits, teachers retirement benefits, and oppurtunity to grow. While they do like the people who get the certificatation, it's not required. You have a good chance of being hired with experience. You aren't far from OKC so maybe you should check into what OU or some of the other OSU OKC extension offices have to offer, or some of the other colleges around. Good luck!
  • Moofey
    Options
    You should check into working as a vet tech at a University. I work at Oklahoma State University and can tell you that they pay their techs well (more than you make now), plus it would be a State job with good leave benefits, Health Benefits, teachers retirement benefits, and oppurtunity to grow. While they do like the people who get the certificatation, it's not required. You have a good chance of being hired with experience. You aren't far from OKC so maybe you should check into what OU or some of the other OSU OKC extension offices have to offer, or some of the other colleges around. Good luck!

I am sure you have to have a degree haha
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Did you read what she wrote?

"While they do like the people who get the certificatation, it's not required. You have a good chance of being hired with experience."

Plus, certification is not a degree. It's something you could work toward while working. Plus, you would probably get a great deal on tuition, and work on getting a degree and the associated opportunities for advancement and more dough.
  • Moofey
    Options
    Did you read what she wrote?

"While they do like the people who get the certificatation, it's not required. You have a good chance of being hired with experience."

Plus, certification is not a degree. It's something you could work toward while working. Plus, you would probably get a great deal on tuition, and work on getting a degree and the associated opportunities for advancement and more dough.

I was just stating that because it seems to good to be true........................
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I was just asking because it seems to good to be true, I know she would never say anything that is not true but again I figured making it clear to myself would help me out in the long run...
    Huh? :huh:
    Why do you need to get snippy?
    Not snippy. Just pointing out that she had mentioned that you do not have to have a degree.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, the veterinarian had his wife working with him

I had his wife AND his mother. *shudder*
  • Colemanlo1
    Options
    You really don't always. Search the job online and it tells you. The only reason I know is because I was interested in that at one point and a lot of the jobs do not require it.
  • Colemanlo1
    Options
    Check out Position Number 632670 at jobs.okstate.edu- required is GED/Highschool. Hiring range is $10.85-$18.15 hr. Jobs like this are on there all the time and you can even search for jobs near your city. I hope this helps :)
  • Moofey
    Options
    Oh yeah this helps, thank you so much!