The BEST hummus recipe

Options
savethecat
savethecat Posts: 290 Member
What is your ultimate, best, super favorite hummus recipe?

I have looked up and made oh-so many tubs of hummus in the past couple months and I like them alright... sometimes they come out acidic though, which I find strange. (Anyone know what I'm messing up there?)

I just want something magical. Something that dances on the palate of all who consume its wonder.

I mean you would think it's difficult to screw-up considering there are typically limited ingredients:

Chick Peas
Tahini (I've heard some people don't use this.)
Lemon Juice
Garlic

Then whatever else for additional flavor (sun dried tomatoes, roasted red pepper, avocado).

I think it's really the proportions of these ingredients I need to get ironed out because I have still accomplished imperfection on several occasions using just the above items.

I'm trying to make a perfectly creamy, smooth, and delightfully textured hummus.

I want your recipes.

Ones you have made, eaten, and enjoyed.

Let the great hummus debate begin.

Replies

• Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I thought about making hummus but the time and cost doesn't save me anything over the store bought stuff. Yeah, it's probably heathier to make your own, but I"m counting on the preservatives in the store bought to help preserve me! LOL
  • CarrieJ85
    CarrieJ85 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I just have to say that 1) I love hummus and 2) Your dinosaur picture makes me giggle out loud :smile:
  • ExYoYoGirl
    Options
    1 can chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
    3 tablespoons of tahini OR 2-3 tablespoons of sesame oil
    3 tablespoons lemon juice
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    2 Tablespoons of warm water
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    Pinch of paprika

Blend chickpeas/garbanzos, lemon juice, and olive oil in a food-processor or small blender. Add remaining ingredients and blend until you reach the desired texture.

Note: You can add more warm water if the hummus feels too dry, and I also like to blend in a couple tablespoons of sun-dried tomatoes or roasted red peppers! Also, I know some people use peanut butter in place of tahini or sesame oil, but I haven't tried using it before!
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I use the typical ingredients chickpeas, tahini, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice but I also add plain yogurt sometimes too. Just a 1/4 cup.
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    This is a great basic hummus recipe. I also like to make it balsamic hummus sometimes - just add a good balsamic vinegar to taste in the first step.

"Taste Bud Tingling Hummus"

1 can or 1 1/2 c cooked chickpeas
    2-3 tbsp. tahini (I use 2)
    2-3 tbsp. lemon juice (I prefer just one)
    2-3 cloves garlic
    1 tsp. sea salt (to taste)
    1/2 c warm water
    1 tbsp good evoo (optional)
    dash of paprika or cayenne

Put beans, tahini, lemon juice, garlic & salt in food processor and blend until creamy. Add the water until you get the consistency you want. Drizzle with evoo and sprinkle with pepper, and VOILA - yummy hummus!

Here's one I love when I want something different than your usual hummus.

"Rustic Hummus" (makes about 2 cups)

1/2 c sesame seeds
    4 tbsp evoo, plus more for drizzle
    15 oz can or 1 1/2 c cooked chickpeas
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbsp lime juice
    2 cloves garlic
    1 1/2 tbsp honey, agave, brown rice syrup, or cocnut nectar - whatever your fave honey substitute is if you don't eat honey
    paprika

Heat a heavy skillet over a medium flame. Add the sesame seeds and toast, stirring constantly, until just lightly browned, about 4 mins. Put the seeds in the food processor. Add the evoo and pulse until seeds are coarsely chopped. Add all remaining ingredients except the paprika and pulse until hummus is well combined but still slightly chunky. Drizzle with evoo if desired and sprinkle with paprika. Best served at room temp.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i make my own because i HATE HATE HATE the taste of all of the store bought ones available these days (i don't like tasting vingegar or sugar in my hommus).

i use a tin of chick peas, drained
    a good tablespoon of tahini
    zest of half a lemon and the juice of a whole lemon (or the bottle juice if i haven't got fresh)
    a half a teaspoon of minced garlic
    a dash of water
    a sprinkle of smoked paprika

stick it all in the blender thingy attachment used for chopping and whip away.

add olive oil to get the right texture and taste, the recipe says up to a half a cup of olive oil, but i never use that much.

LOVE LOVE LOVE real hommus
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    Is tahini a must have in the recipe? I can't seem to find it anywhere, so I've resorted to the back-up plan as enlisted in the hummus recipe in, 'Cook this, Not that!' They mention tahini (and they say that you should be able to find it in Walmart, but apparently NO employee ever knows what it is). With that being unavailable, the recipe says that a quick substitution is peanut butter. No matter how much I play with it and add spices to mask, the taste of PB is there to stay. ICK..
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I used the standard hummus recipe with black beans.