A look in the mirror

Options
Does anyone else look in the mirror and say yes im a bit chunky but im not 'that bad' and then say you and your family take a picture and you look at yourself and think oh my! im a whale!!!???

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    It's all about perception. But we can all stand to better ourselves.
  • AreneeG31
    AreneeG31 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    lol! yeah, I have done that before! to me it is motivation! :)
  • krystleRD
    krystleRD Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    yes! I dislike family pics because i feel like im taking up the whole dang picture.. but i agree with Arenee its motivation...
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I just have trouble seeing the new me, in the mirror .. I keep not recognizing myself ..
  • roebuck1908
    Options
    ScrewyChars-5043745
  • JeffJohnson26
    JeffJohnson26 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think when we look in the mirror, we end up angling and turning, possibly even subconsciously tightening up a bit to get our best look when we self-evaluate. But that doesn't happen when candid photos are taken of us and might not capture those same angles. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as those mirror evaluations continue progressing on the right track, you'll feel less discouraged by the photos.
  • laurenlind
    Options
    I have had this experience so many times that I started to avoid being in situations where family pictures would take place. This is sad, because now I pretty much have no pictures of myself from the past 3 years. I agree with others, I will use those few pictures and the feeling I get when I see a camera come out (panic because I know that the picture will remind me how big I am) as motivation to get this weight off so I can take pictures with my family like a normal person.
  • Faery7
    Faery7 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else look in the mirror and say yes im a bit chunky but im not 'that bad' and then say you and your family take a picture and you look at yourself and think oh my! im a whale!!!???

That is so me!!! Weird how that works.
  • mallie233
    Options
    Exactly! My arms/face/belly/legs aren't nearly as big in the mirror as in a picture. I mean. Surely.

What's the saying? The camera adds 10(30?)lbs!
  • Leanne926
    Leanne926 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I HAVE DEFINATELY DONE THAT MANY TIMES!!
  • Serialdieter
    Options
    Hell yes !
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's pretty much what got me started on this "once and for all" weight loss kick. I thought I was pretty cute even though I had to keep going up in size and wasn't happy about that number on the scale. Then I saw some pictures of myself with my college buddies on vacation (almost exactly 2 years ago now) and went "whaaaaaa?". I knew I was fat but not THAT fat. It's amazing how powerful denial can be.
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Yes unless I'm standing in front of the mirror beside someone else. That is the worst, I'll look at myself and go .. hey I'm not that bad.. then someone walks in that I think is bigger than me.. they stand beside and I'm way bigger then them. UUUUUUUUUUGH.
  • GkMusic
    GkMusic Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Definitely sounds familiar to me....
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    For me it's the side view. Most of my excess weight is in my belly, and I look pretty good from the front. I guess I was avoiding that side view for a long time because when I saw it in a photo I was shocked.
  • Busyboymomx3
    Busyboymomx3 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    that is me %100 percent... I feel bad bc I look like an ogre in all of my sons' birthday pictures. That isnt how I want them to see me :(
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    All the time. I'll think I look ok and then see a picture and want to throw up.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes. I see im ok in the mirror but then we had a day out last month and I looked huge. I look ok from the side but I have love handles and mummy hips so from the front I look podgy and fall over the sides of my trousers (muffin top!)
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options

It's not you Baby, it's the camera!! If everyone looked good on camera, no one would be paid to be models! The camera is very picky about who it likes.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Photos in general are rough... When looking in a mirror I feel like I look thinner, and then I see a picure of myself, and it's like "...nope." Haha