Exercising with Shin Splints

Options
I’m fairly certain I’m getting/have shin splints from either running on concrete or over exercising. Since I’m doing a weight loss competition at my gym, I don’t want to completely take time off of exercising but I do plan on taking it easy so I can heal. When I had shin splints before I just stopped exercising completely, but that’s not really an option this time around.

I have full access to a gym with just about every piece of equipment, but no pool access.

What are some exercises I could do that are low enough impact to let my shin splints heal?

What else can I do to help aid the healing process? I took some Tylenol to help reduce the ache, but I don’t have access to an ice pack at work (I plan on icing my shins tonight, though).

I've found some advice on how to prevent them for next time (thanks, google!) but I'm having a tough time finding some exercises I can do in the mean time.

Any advice/thoughts would be much appreciated!

Replies

• cionepro3
    Options
    non weight bearing no impact cardio such as:

recumbant bike
    water walking in a pool

or non impact such as:

elliptical
    arc trainer
    upright bike

non weight bearing exercises such as:

seated leg press (you could try it)
    leg extensions
    all seated upper body machines

anything weight bearing will aggrevate your situation.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    If I were there I'd show you how to take your shins so they don't hurt. I used to have to tape mine before every basketball game in High School. Since then, I have realized that it's not the amount of exercise, it's the quality of the shoes. I'm sure that for some people it's a matter of how much exercise they are doing and this may be the case for you, but after I shopped around for better running shoes I stopped getting them.

If they have "Fleet Feet" by you go to them and they will fit you for a shoe that works right with YOUR body and YOUR running style. Hope that helped
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If I were there I'd show you how to take your shins so they don't hurt. I used to have to tape mine before every basketball game in High School. Since then, I have realized that it's not the amount of exercise, it's the quality of the shoes. I'm sure that for some people it's a matter of how much exercise they are doing and this may be the case for you, but after I shopped around for better running shoes I stopped getting them.

If they have "Fleet Feet" by you go to them and they will fit you for a shoe that works right with YOUR body and YOUR running style. Hope that helped

I do need new shoes :( These ones have been really good to me but I think they have too many miles on them. I've been waiting as long as possible (shoes are f$%ing expensive!) but this may be what makes me finally shell out the dough to get new shoes.

In the meantime I'll try using the bikes, elliptical and arc trainer and try to remember to talk to my trainer tomorrow morning.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I started getting shin splints when I started Turbo Fire, and had just bought new shoes. At the time I was out of shape. I just toughed through it with Ibruprofen, and eventually I think after about a month, they subsided. Good luck!
  • SuperCork
    SuperCork Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Shin splints--wow, have not heard/thought about those since my crew days in high school. They can be TERRIBLE but certainly manageable. Best of luck and take care of your body: you only get one, unless you know something I don't :wink:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I second the non-impact cardio suggestions above. Shin splints are no fun.