Does protein degrade after a protein shake has been mixed?

Options
Okay, so I've heard 30 different stories. Can anyone tell me if its okay (not okay) to refridgerate a protein shake overnight after I have mixed it? (My shakes usually include unsweetend almond milk, EAS whey vanilla protein, and a fruit of some sort)

I like to grab-n-go in the morning since I usually go to the gym around 5-5:30am, so I was wondering if the protein is alright when it sits in the refridgerator all night.. Some say it degrades and you get about 30% of what you would get if you consume right after mixing, others I've heard its alright for up to 2 days..

Please let me know, if you could give any backup as to why that would be great too..

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. But, if you're concerned about it you can measure out your almond milk into your shaker and then just add your protein powder before you leave. It's not exactly grab-and-go, but it only takes a minute.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    waiting for this thread to go south....:wink:
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Bumping. Curious to know this as well because I do the same thing.
  • thesweatybetty
    thesweatybetty Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. But, if you're concerned about it you can measure out your almond milk into your shaker and then just add your protein powder before you leave. It's not exactly grab-and-go, but it only takes a minute.

thats what i've been doing, but the fruit that i add as my carb source needs to be blended also and i dont know how well a blender ball with mix protein with fruit and milk blended together..
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Think about this for a second and you'll have your answer.

Where does whey come from?
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    All biological things degrade. Protein is no exception.
  • PB67
    Options
    All biological things degrade. Protein is no exception.

While technically true, the rate of degradation during the time-span between mixing and consumption will be trivial at best.

Spoilage will occur long before significant protein degradation.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    OP use a glass of milk as an example. If left out or not consumed long enough, what happens?

Same thing with whey protein.
  • The_Saint
    Options
    Furthermore if you are starting with a powder, it is beginning from a degraded state. The less time it sits the better, but to the exact amount of time it takes before its useless.... will vary based on processing.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Furthermore if you are starting with a powder, it is beginning from a degraded state. The less time it sits the better, but to the exact amount of time it takes before its useless.... will vary based on processing.

Awesome sig bro.
  • PB67
    Options

Do you have any evidence to back this statement up? Or are you just talking out of your backside?
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    So this morning I threw my protein powder in the mixer and ran to work. I added water when I got there. What's wrong with using water?
  • thesweatybetty
    Options

I know where whey comes from, but its being refridgerated for a max of 10 hours.. thats why I'm asking. I'm not leaving it on the counter to sit overnight..
  • The_Saint
    Options

Do you have any evidence to back this statement up? Or are you just talking out of your backside?

And now it goes south :-)

I have evidence of both.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    So this morning I threw my protein powder in the mixer and ran to work. I added water when I got there. What's wrong with using water?

Nothing is wrong with using water, but whey protein degrades. You should consume it as soon as possible. I was just using milk as an example of a biological product.
  • thesweatybetty
    Options

Because this is what I have every morning and the water and protein mix is getting boring?
  • PB67
    Options

I know where whey comes from, but its being refridgerated for a max of 10 hours.. thats why I'm asking. I'm not leaving it on the counter to sit overnight..

Not trying to be snarky, just using the Socratic method.

Think about it this way: are you concerned with protein degradation when you leave milk in the fridge overnight? Probably not.
  • thesweatybetty
    Options
    OP use a glass of milk as an example. If left out or not consumed long enough, what happens?

Same thing with whey protein.

Is it going to completely degrade in a matter of 10 hours refridgerated.. Milk degrades but not overnight..
  • PB67
    Options

And now it goes south :-)

I have evidence of both.

Care to provide this so-called "evidence"?
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I hope not cuz I made a protein shake and didn't drink it until the next day because I forgot about it