C25K question

Options
I have been doing the C25K everyday since I started and I am a couple days in to week 3 and I heard you are only supposed to do the C25K 3 times per week....

So my question to those who are doing the program or have already done it, what do you do on the other days of the week that you aren't doing the C25K?

Replies

• mdfeller
    mdfeller Posts: 135
    Options
    Sometimes I don't skip days. I am on week 5 & find running rather enjoyable (even through the shin splints) On my days off I do videos at home, Jillian Michaels, Insanity, Chalean Extreme. Right now I am in love with Chalean Extreme. Hardly any cardio, but lots of sweating and I LOVE that! Also, pilates or yoga could be beneficial as well! GL!
  • BeccaB1981
    BeccaB1981 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I am also doing the 30 day shred every day but I am having knee and hip pain now so someone had told me I shouldn't be doing c25k everyday. So I am just trying to find something else to do in addition to the shred on the other days just so I am still burning calories.
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I think if you enjoy running and your body feels good, there is no reason not to do it more often. C25K is intended to be done only 3 days a week (hence they only include 3) but I do it more often if I feel good, I just usually repeat the same runs for the week instead of moving on to the next week, because right now that is what's working best for me. When I was a bit younger I used to run 6 days a week and I LOVED it. If you are having hip and knee pain though, you might want to give yourself some rest. You may also want to evaluate your stride, or stretch more. I don't do the 30day shred every day even though you're intended to, because I get ankle pain from it so I'm only doing it a few times a week.

Are there any activities you really enjoy? Hiking, biking, and paddling, my 3 favourite things to do, burn lots of calories. Now, I know not everyone has access to kayaks or canoes to paddle, or mountain bikes, but lots of people have some kind of bike kicking around-you can find an easy trail, or just ride your bike in your neighbourhood. Bike to the store. Bike to work!! Hiking is free-dress for the weather, wear good shoes, and find some trails! Always tell someone where you're going and when you'll be back. Super fun ways to get exercise! :D
  • Play_outside
    Options
    PS is your name "slacker"mommy because you slackline? Because slacking is an AWESOME core workout!!
  • jpburcham
    jpburcham Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 2. and like some previous posts, I'm running the program everyday except Sunday. I just do each run, for two consecutive days. I'm actually getting to the point where I enjoy getting out and running. I'm running outside, and at about 4:30am before I head off to work. I find it to be a great way to kick start the day.
  • BeccaB1981
    Options
    PS is your name "slacker"mommy because you slackline? Because slacking is an AWESOME core workout!!

I don't even know what slackline is... maybe I should look it up!!
  • Play_outside
    Options
    Oh haha, it's really hard but SUPER fun! You get a line (pre set up beginner slacklines are the easiest) and suspend it between two trees about 10m or so apart, it's supposed to be "slack" not, like a tightrope, but for us beginners it's a bit tighter. Then you walk it! Good to start with a person on at least one side for support, both if possible! Look up some videos, there are people who do all these awesome tricks, and then look at highline vids-where slackers are suspended much higher up (but have a harness attaching them so they don't die when they fall). Totally awesome!
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I'm on c25k W7D3 so nearly at the end. I make sure I rest or crosstrain on non-run days. Don't overdo it - your legs need time to adapt to running and every day running would have certainly been too much for me.

Things you could do on non-run days
    - cycle
    - swim
    - strength training
    - some sort of class (Zumba, etc)

My schedule looks a bit like this roughly
    Monday - c25k
    Tuesday - Zumba
    Wednesday - c25k
    Thursday - rest day
    Friday - c25k
    Saturday - long cycle
    Sunday - rest day

I also cycle 6miles every week day to get to and from work irrespective of my "planned" workout.

Hope this helps. And congratulations for starting c25k - it has changed my outlook on exercise.
  • AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Im getting ready to start the program over again (I stopped because of a hurt foot) but I plan on going to Zumba mondays and wednesdays and running tuesday friday and sunday. That way I will have thursday and saturdays off to rest
  • BeccaB1981
    Options
    I'm on Week 2. and like some previous posts, I'm running the program everyday except Sunday. I just do each run, for two consecutive days. I'm actually getting to the point where I enjoy getting out and running. I'm running outside, and at about 4:30am before I head off to work. I find it to be a great way to kick start the day.

I am enjoying the running too and feel good about my progress thus far but the knee and hip discomfort is holding me back a little. I run on the treadmill b/c I do it in the morning while my baby is sleeping so I can't get outdoors.