Oatmeal....I want to eat it, but its nasty. What should I do

Options
124»

Replies

• Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    http://www.betteroats.com/oats/lavish/dark_chocolate/

Dark chocolate oatmeal... Was 99 cents for a 5 pack and only 160 calories per pouch when I picked it up...

every time I try to find this in my area, it's sold out.

Are YOU buying out the store, Sherie???

lol...............

I'd recommend Steel Cut Oats - if you like a more crunchy/nutty texture (compare it to wild rice or barley as far as texture goes), it's awesome! has a bit more nutrition, too...........add some brown sugar or raisins or other stuff you like. Very nummy!
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I normally just add a tiny bit of sugar. Mixed with berries or fruits and maybe some cinn. or something.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    I agree with some of the other people on here.... if you don't like it then why eat it?! I hate oatmeal too! I generally eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast ..... Honey Bunches of Oat w/ Almonds is my new favorite and is under 200 cals
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I hate oatmeal too. to make it edible i mash a banana into plain oatmeal with a little bit of brwon sugar and pecans, or i chop an apple with brown sugar and walnuts. I add cinnamon to either.

Fo rthe fall i make it with pumpkin pie filling.

Still, i can't bring myself to eat the 1/2 cup serving size :/
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I agree with whoever said to eat more than 200 calories... unless you're eating 6 meals a day. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! It jumpstarts your metabolism!

Its been proven over and over for weight loss in clinical studies: meal times alone to NOT matter. Now, if you end up starving and binge because you didn't eat breakfast, thats a different story. But the metabolic boost from eating breakfast is not significant enough to warrant forcing yourself to eat if you don't want to.

With that being said, meal times do seem to have some effect on muscle growth, so if you are trying to bulk, eating after a workout seems to give faster gains. There needs to be a little more concrete research done on that though, but a large proportion of champion bodybuilders swear by eating after a workout.

I agree - eat whenever it stops you feeling hungry and binging.
  • chicklet846
    Options
    Don't waste your calories on something you don't like. I am also not a huge fan of oatmeal, but I do love "chocolate cookie oatmeal"

2 versions:
    http://matchstickmolly.com/post/6834747534/luscious-chocolate-oatmeal-cookie-in-a-bowl
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of the replies so sorry if this is any repeat info.
    If you buy quick cooking oats, instead of those packets (which are full of sugar, and the packaging is extremely wasteful), the bag of oats is way cheap and you get tons, The quick cooking stuff cooks just the same as the packets-put some in your bowl and pour boiling water on, enough to make it to a texture you like, Then add whatever you want! if you like chocolate and pb, then put a bit of cocoa, half a banana, and a spoon of pb. I love bananas and almond butter in my oatmeal. Or add fruits, nuts, any combo of the above. If you like pumpkin, this is FABULOUS (I like to eat slices of it cold for breakfast). It is around 200 calories if you make it into 8 servings.
    http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2011/09/baked-pumpkin-pie-oatmeal-277-recipe.html
  • leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Cook old-fashioned oatmeal (0.5 cup) with any of the following :

Choose 1-2 out of the following fruits:
    blueberries (1 cup)
    grapes (1 cup)
    banana (1 cup)
    apple (1 cup)
    pear (1 cup)

PLUS

honey (1 teaspoon)
    almond milk (0.5 cup)

PLUS

Choose 1 of the following:
    a few raisins
    a few walnuts/almond/pecan

and OPTIONAL

add 0.25 cup of muesli/high-fiber cereal

The whole thing might come up to be 500 Calories or more but it keeps me FULL from 6am to like 12 noon so I am not complaining !!!! Plus, it tastes GREAAAAAT!
  • toque_de_miel
    toque_de_miel Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I never really liked oatmeal - never liked the consistency of it, it was always so runny and ew.

But recently... I figured it out! I get Quaker Oats Lower Sugar Peaches and Cream and put just barely enough water in it to cover the oats and stir that around - put it in the mic for 1 1/2 - 2 min, then add a packet of splenda & a sprinkle of cinnamon and stir!!

Eliminates the watery grossness of it and adds sweetness!!
  • Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I agree with the steel cut oatmeal people on here. I think it's a much better texture as it's more like rice than that nasty gummy instant stuff. I make weekly batch of it on Sunday and then eat it through the week for breakfast because it takes so long to cook. I eat mine with blueberries.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    There is so much food out there to eat. Why eat things you hate? The mind boggles...
  • sparetirebegone
    sparetirebegone Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you can find it, Oat Revolution is an instant oatmeal that comes in several different flavors and it is soooo good!

http://www.betteroats.com/index.php