AT&T cell phone upgrade

Options
So next month I'm eligible to upgade my cell phone at a discounted price. My question to everyone here is what phone would you suggest? Also, I'm quite cheap and am not looking to spend much - I want to see what prices I can get online once I'm able to upgrade.

My current phone isn't a smartphone and I don't have a data plan, so all the apps and whatnot would be sorta new to me. Right now, I only use calling/text on my cell phone but if the prices are right, I'll most likely add data. I want a phone that has all the basics (i.e. camera, music player, touchscreen) and that's fairly easy to use - has good sound quality for calls and stuff.

Suggestions?? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    So next month I'm eligible to upgade my cell phone at a discounted price. My question to everyone here is what phone would you suggest? Also, I'm quite cheap and am not looking to spend much - I want to see what prices I can get online once I'm able to upgrade.

My current phone isn't a smartphone and I don't have a data plan, so all the apps and whatnot would be sorta new to me. Right now, I only use calling/text on my cell phone but if the prices are right, I'll most likely add data. I want a phone that has all the basics (i.e. camera, music player, touchscreen) and that's fairly easy to use - has good sound quality for calls and stuff.

iPhone

and switch carriers, at&t blows.
  • hockeyd11
    hockeyd11 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would suggest the iphone 3GS. About a month ago they had it for $50 only...not sure if they still have it at that price though.
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have AT&T and last time I upgraded I got an HTC Inspire. It's 4G, has an 8 megapixel camera and is very user friendly. It was much less expensive than an Iphone and it is a smartphone, so I got all the cool aps.
  • mary_kate23
    Options

iPhone

and switch carriers, at&t blows.

^^ what this person said. but go droid. verizon ftw!
  • debydeb57
    Options
    as i have been with at&t since 03 ... i say keep at&t... i would go for the iphone4s ... i am eligible for an upgrade on the 1st and i am getting the iphone 4s.... i already have the iphone 4 and i love it .... i could not live without it... i know i know..what did people do without them before they became main stream but now that they are here.. might as well get a good one... i say go iphone4s .. i believe its $199 with a 2 year upgrade ..... thats my goal anyways....
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I work for a Wireless Carrier.. so, won't give my opinion on the specific carrier. But, I do have to say.. I LOVE the Android phones. I think they are very very easy to use. Fun apps--which you will probably end up using more than you think!
  • XiaoRuRu
    Options
    iPhones are more user-friendly for the not-tech savvy individual. Not to say that Androids are incredibly involved pieces of technology, but they make less sense to the user right away and can be frustrating. Plus iPhone has a great customer service network behind it. Can't speak for AT&T because we left them years ago for Verizon since AT&T has terrible coverage in Texas.

Enjoy your new phone!
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    The iPhone DATA PLAN is more expensive than some other smart phone choices. Shop very carefully. First of all, if you are considering changing carriers (other than AT&T), you need to find out:
    --- what kind of cell phone towers (coverage) they have
    --- What is their policy with ROAMING CHARGES when you're out of their coverage area (T-Mobile is very well-known to add on additional, outrageous roaming charges fees).
    --- how much is their Data Plan and do they hit you with additional charges if you're out of their coverage area

I chose the Blackberry last time around because the DATA PLAN is less expensive than other smart phones with AT&T.
  • Hattie2879
    Options
    I've had AT&T since '03 and out of everyone I know with different carriers, AT&T gets the best service - as far as phone calls go. I don't know much about the 3G or 4G networks and how exactly that works - so maybe other carriers are better. I don't know, but I'll probably stick with AT&T.

As far as phones, I'll be sure to check out the iPhone and Android phones. I wish the stores has REAL/WORKING models to use rather than the empty plastic things or whatever they are.

Also, I've heard it's better to go through Best Buy than the actual carrier stores - I think the prices were less or something, don't remember what all my sister told me. Can anyone validate this?

Thanks for all the responses!!!
  • mrmanmeat
    Options
    The iPhone DATA PLAN is more expensive than some other smart phone choices. Shop very carefully. First of all, if you are considering changing carriers (other than AT&T), you need to find out:
    --- what kind of cell phone towers (coverage) they have
    --- What is their policy with ROAMING CHARGES when you're out of their coverage area (T-Mobile is very well-known to add on additional, outrageous roaming charges fees).
    --- how much is their Data Plan and do they hit you with additional charges if you're out of their coverage area

I chose the Blackberry last time around because the DATA PLAN is less expensive than other smart phones with AT&T.

ROTFL, roaming charges? They still have those? Guess since I have verizon I dont' have to worry about them.

lol @ blackberry. They should just quit.
  • mrmanmeat
    Options
    I've had AT&T since '03 and out of everyone I know with different carriers, AT&T gets the best service - as far as phone calls go. I don't know much about the 3G or 4G networks and how exactly that works - so maybe other carriers are better. I don't know, but I'll probably stick with AT&T.

As far as phones, I'll be sure to check out the iPhone and Android phones. I wish the stores has REAL/WORKING models to use rather than the empty plastic things or whatever they are.

Also, I've heard it's better to go through Best Buy than the actual carrier stores - I think the prices were less or something, don't remember what all my sister told me. Can anyone validate this?

It's possible that in your area they do, but def not anywhere that isn't a "major" city in the Southeast. No one I know likes them, or wants to stay with them now that the iPhone is available on other carriers, vzw/sprint
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options

I loved AT&T as well and only switched to Verizon because my husband refused to leave for my phone plan. We would have wound up paying less for my plan than his but he just wouldn't switch. Verizon charges $30 a month EXTRA for smart phone data service and thats on top of the calling plan you settle with. They are charging me $10 a month for my LG EnV Touch.
    Also their stores seem to only have smart phones now and no basic phones. Once our contract is up, we ARE switching services to another company.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    well, I pay for my family's plan on at&t and I know that iphone's require a data plan of minimum $25/month on top of a required messaging plan which is on top of the monthly minutes plan. (which if you have a family plan is worth it, but individual? I'd probably switch carriers I imagine it'd get expensive just for one phone.... With the family plan we pay $80/month for minutes for five phones, then $30/month for unlimited messaging for all the phones and then the individual data plans for some of us.) My brother has an iphone and pays a crazy amnt each month beacuse of the data plan his iphone requires, but he uses it CONSTANTLY so he thinks it's worth it.. so unless you see yourself using the internet/ apps that use the itnernet A LOT I'd suggest a phone that requires a smaller amount a month for data. I have a blackberry torch through at&t and I love it! I'm not a fan of the old blackberries at all but this one has the keyboard combined with the smartphone touch screen. It's a great phone and it's always got reliable service through at&t no matter what everyone else's opinions are. Basically, If you get a smartphone and haven't had one yet they'll make you get a messaging and data plan so be prepared to pay more a month for a smartphone plan and use the internet all the time or get a non-smartphone and don't use the internet much. I'm happy with the blackberry torch and I only pay $15 more a month than I did before because of my data plan. If you don't see yourself as an internet phone user i'd get a non-smart phone like a samsung a877 (my old phone... i'm sure there are newer comparable ones) it's a non-smart phone but still had internet capabilities (albeit slower internet because it's not a smart phone) so that I could have a cheap $10/mo data plan and use the itnernet everyonce and awhile. Just my opinion :o) oh and if you get a phone through the at&t store you've got 30 days to play with it and decide whether you like it or not. You can always exchange it, no extra costs.
  • Hattie2879
    Options
    This is all good information. Thanks everyone!! Once I figure out which phone to go with, I'll update y'all. :wink: