2»

Replies

• catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Great info!
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    I have a somewhat opposite problem that I would LOVE some feedback on. If I eat a large breakfast, I'm starving 2 hours later. But if I eat a small breakfast, I go workout, I come home, I have a snack and I have to force myself to eat lunch. I know this makes no logical sense but I don't know what to do. Any thoughts???

Hormonal response.

When you eat a big breakfast, your insulin is spiked and then levels out so you feel hungry again. If you eat very little, or don't eat at all, glucagon kicks in and levels out your blood sugar without the spike from insulin. This can control hunger and it's why a lot of people who do times of fasting report not feeling hungry.

Part of it probably has to do with what you're eating too and how much of an insulin response you're getting from it.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I would love to do, but alas, I too get up at 5 am and find it hard to find the tme to do this (I just find hard boiled eggs so unsatisfying but I've been getting into the habit of making a microwave omlette in the morning-super quick) .
    When you changed your eating habits was it gradual or did you just wake up one morning and change it all?

Fortunately, I have the luxury of working at home so making the change was easy for me. It was actually harder to work up the desire to eat something right away after getting the kids off to school. But I did change it all that next morning. It wasn't as big as it is now though. But it was big enough after having nothing for breakfast for so many years. :)
  • bjohs
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the wonderful feedback! Glad to hear some of you are going to try having breakfast. I'm also surprised to see so many other "fun sized" MFPer's out here. LOL!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Quick question, when you were working out, did you eat those calories back or did you consume only the 1200 calories like you do without exercise?

Also, good job! You look amazing!
  • katemiddletonisawesome
    Options
    Whether it's protein or carbs or fruits or veggies, if I eat a big breakfast, I'm starving by 11am. My calorie count is 300-500-400 on a normal day, although I feel better if I stick with 300-500-300-100. Lunch is always the big one for me - it fills me up so I don't feel like a big dinner is necessary.

Congrats on your weight loss - you look incredible! A good inspiration for those of us who have a while to go yet....
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    So amazed right now!!!
    My breakfast this morning - 3 large eggs, 2 slices of toast, plus another piece of bread with PB&J and a strawberry yogurt, reg coffee/splenda/creamer, plus 1 16.9fl oz bottle of water = 695 calories.
    I'm beyong full right now and my lunch is in about 2 hours. I don't see myself being hungry until at least that time! :happy:
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I thought for a second this said "My Large Breasts" but breakfast is even better. Large breakfasts don't work all that well for me, but yours looks AWESOME.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Your breakfast looks amazing and I wish I'd have time to prepare myself something like that!

I have a question, though. Why do you force yourself to have a morning snack/lunch if you don't feel hungry? Couldn't you have lunch (or large snack or "slunch") later in the afternoon when you are actually hungry?
  • bjohs
    Options
    Quick question, when you were working out, did you eat those calories back or did you consume only the 1200 calories like you do without exercise?

Also, good job! You look amazing!

Thanks! In the beginning, when I had more weight to lose, I ate back those exercise calories. Now that I'm a little more inactive and have reached my goal weight, I don't eat back very many of them. If I go over 1,200 a little bit is fine, but I find that I gain weight if I go over too much.
  • bjohs
    Options
    Your breakfast looks amazing and I wish I'd have time to prepare myself something like that!

I have a question, though. Why do you force yourself to have a morning snack/lunch if you don't feel hungry? Couldn't you have lunch (or large snack or "slunch") later in the afternoon when you are actually hungry?

My mid-morning snack is usually a piece of fruit or a vegetable. Nothing too filling. It's just enough to keep me from becoming too hungry for lunch. Sometimes I will even have the snack right before preparing lunch so that I can keep lunch on the lighter side. I have breakfast around 9am (after we get the kids off to school and I enjoy a cup of coffee while reading/watching the news). Lunch is usually between 1-2pm. I like to have something to eat (no matter how small) every 2-3 hours. This keeps the hunger away so I can plan/prepare a sensible meal.
  • bjohs
    Options
    So amazed right now!!!
    My breakfast this morning - 3 large eggs, 2 slices of toast, plus another piece of bread with PB&J and a strawberry yogurt, reg coffee/splenda/creamer, plus 1 16.9fl oz bottle of water = 695 calories.
    I'm beyong full right now and my lunch is in about 2 hours. I don't see myself being hungry until at least that time! :happy:

Is this the first time you've prepare a breakfast that large? I'll be curious to see how it works out for you. :)
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Is this the first time you've prepare a breakfast that large? I'll be curious to see how it works out for you. :)

Yes it is. My breakfast is usually no more than 300 calories....coffee, a bowl of cereal. If I have eggs, it's usually only 2 or I use egg substitute, with A SLICE of bread.
    I'm not sure how consistent I'll be with my breakfasts being that large but today has been great so far. I'm still not even remotely hungry and am almost done with 2nd bottle of water. :happy:
    I'll keep ya posted!
  • bjohs
    Options

Yes it is. My breakfast is usually no more than 300 calories....coffee, a bowl of cereal. If I have eggs, it's usually only 2 or I use egg substitute, with A SLICE of bread.
    I'm not sure how consistent I'll be with my breakfasts being that large but today has been great so far. I'm still not even remotely hungry and am almost done with 2nd bottle of water. :happy:
    I'll keep ya posted!

Sounds great! It's all about balance. For example, today my son doesn't have school and wants to have lunch at Olive Garden. I can't avoid dining out so I just adjust my breakfast accordingly (if I know about it ahead of time). This morning I skipped breakfast only because I was buried with work. Usually I would at least have a banana or something. I'll try to keep lunch as light as possible but I will also increase the calorie size of my afternoon snack to compensate for no breakfast. I don't like to skip meals, especially breakfast, though. :)

I've already browsed through Olive Garden's nutritional guide and I know exactly what I'll be ordering to keep my calories in check as well as the sodium level under 1,000 mg.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Whether it's protein or carbs or fruits or veggies, if I eat a big breakfast, I'm starving by 11am. My calorie count is 300-500-400 on a normal day, although I feel better if I stick with 300-500-300-100. Lunch is always the big one for me - it fills me up so I don't feel like a big dinner is necessary.

Congrats on your weight loss - you look incredible! A good inspiration for those of us who have a while to go yet....

For me, I think it's because I add some fat. I believe it's the combination of fat and protein that keeps me full. When I eat breakfast at 9:30 a.m. I'm not hungry again until around 3:00 p.m. I scramble my eggs in butter or olive oil and have bacon with the veggies too.
  • bjohs
    Options
    For me, I think it's because I add some fat. I believe it's the combination of fat and protein that keeps me full. When I eat breakfast at 9:30 a.m. I'm not hungry again until around 3:00 p.m. I scramble my eggs in butter or olive oil and have bacon with the veggies too.

Same here. My breakfast yesterday morning was 550 calories with 48g carbs and 30g fat. I had 31g of protein. At this point in my journey, I am doing much better with a low carb/high fat diet. I may need to readjust again once I start building muscle and toning like I was doing before.