Too much dietary fiber?

I'm halfway through my day and am almost over my dietary fiber goal. Is this bad to have too much dietary fiber?

Replies

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    No.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    most likely your fiber goal on MFP is too low then, you should be aiming for 25+ grams/day.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Totally. I hear you can turn into a vegetable if that happens. But here's the kicker: you get to pick what vegetable you turn into. Broccoli! I choose you!
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 256 Member
    I don't know why the number is red if you go over in fiber. Fiber is good. I readjusted my fiber goals on MFP and I am still constantly in the red.
  • bigprettygirl69
    bigprettygirl69 Posts: 19 Member
    No this will help the body eliminate better. I found a neat trick from watching the Wendy Williams show. She said that she ate a small apple after every meal and it kept her regular. It really works for me. You may want to try it.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Just found this... on this site

http://askville.amazon.com/eat-fiber-day/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=659522

Fiber Content of Various Foods
    Medium Apple 3-5g
    1c cooked oatmeal 4g
    3oz raw broccoli 3g
    1/2c green giant canned corn 2g

I love fiber! It keeps me regular, keeps my blood sugar on an even keel and actually makes me feel better. But, you can get too much. The recommended daily allowance for adults is 25 grams. Going a little over or a little under is not likely to cause any harmful effects. But, going too far over can cause bloating, overly large stools, abdominal pain, gassiness and totally defeats the purpose of having eaten it in the first place.

Unless you go overly crazy with the psyillium or other potent sources of fiber, you're not likely going to go over. Please see the table I provided.

Sources: The Complete Book of Food Counts, by Corinne Netzer, http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1317.html, http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T041500.asp
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    The amount given on MFP is low.....you should be getting at least 25g a day
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Great thing about fiber is that whatever you don't use will come out of you..the more the better (within reason of course)..
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    25-30 grams is best. Or more.
  • Totally. I hear you can turn into a vegetable if that happens. But here's the kicker: you get to pick what vegetable you turn into. Broccoli! I choose you!

Um. lawl.
  • allieshaw
    allieshaw Posts: 55 Member
    WHEW! I was hoping it wasnt going to have an adverse affect! Thank you for your help!
  • allieshaw
    What about SUgar? I have mine set at 25 grams. And I go over EVERY DAY by at least 10 grams.

1 Apple ALone is like 17-20 Grams of sugar
  • Korrinn
    Korrinn Posts: 24
    While fiber is good for you, too much can lead to bloating, gas and constipation (basically the same symptoms if you don't have enough)

Also I have read that women don't need as much fiber as men
  • allieshaw
    Bump