Starting using a pedometer, wondering how accurate.

I walk around a lot at work. I started wearing a pedometer because I am curious how much I actually walk. I wore it for around six hours today and it is saying I walked 1.30 miles and burned around 100 calories. That just doesn't sound accurate to me. I don't want to log false calorie loss! Any advice on the accuracy of one of these things??? Thank you so much!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    I got one (pro-form) from Walmart for about 16.00. Its not accurate at all and the thing keeps resetting itself throughout the day so all my totals are schewed.

I just ordered one that closes so the buttons aren't exposed. Accu- something. It was about 25. We'll see how that one does.
  • mudar146
    mudar146 Posts: 146 Member
    I'm wondering the same thing! Hopefully someone has a good idea of how accurate they are! :)
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Read the instructions: measuring your STRIDE, then you need to adjust it to YOUR stride length. After that, it will be somewhat more accurate.
  • MMAsac
    MMAsac Posts: 191
    pedometers are not very accurate, because it calculates steps, and doesnt actually no the difference in stride lengths. My wife and I both wore them on a run one day and we did the same run, and she finished with 3.45 miles, and I was only at 2.91 miles.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    A calorie burn has to be calculated in which your heart rate is in the equation as well as your gender, age, weight, etc. If the pedometer doesn't take a heart rate it won't know how intensly you walked the 1.30 miles!

You could walk them slowly and burn alot less calories, than if you ran them for instance.

If it doesn't take a heart rate it will assume a generic formula that most likely won't be accurate for you.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Most of them are not accurate as the tiniest little bump and it takes it as a step, so as you get up from your seat, or shift your legs etc. they are not usually accurate.

Also MFP already calculates your daily activity level, so anything that is regular activity you should not input into your journal.
  • jljune
    jljune Posts: 59
    Unfortunately, the only way you can find out EXACTLY how many calories you burn is with a heart rate monitor but here is a website where you can put in your exercise and your weight and it will give you an approximate calorie loss. Good luck!

http://www.caloriecontrol.org/healthy-weight-tool-kit/lighten-up-and-get-moving
  • msqdpie
    msqdpie Posts: 92 Member
    I felt the need to see if I could help with this, I wear one daily, Mine is a Talking Pedometer, and I bought it at K~Mart it is a Sportline 343, I love it and it cost just over $14.00, First thing I did when got it, was to walk with it on the Pants where is said and found It wasn't Picking up all my steps, It Explains how to do a Stride test, I found for My Own Use to Clip it right on my Shoe, So I made a Tether and It's been telling my Steps ever sence, If Ever I'm in Doubt, I can take my steps and count them and check it to see it's working! On another note I hear it's best to walk at least 10,000 steps per day, Before I became aware, I bet I might have been pushing 3000 steps per day, If that. Well that's all I got......Happy Walking! You may Add me if you'd like!