Under 1200 calories...

Options
reneeot
reneeot Posts: 773 Member
Is there anyway losing weight eating under 1200 calories? PLEASE, I'M NOT ASKING for advice or opinions on a low calorie weight loss. I'm not looking for a debate that has been discussed to death on this forum. I'm just wondering who have been losing weight eating under 1200 calories. PLEASE DO NOT POST IF YOU ARE NOT EATING UNDER 1200 CALORIES

I entered in what I've been eating lately on the average day, it seems its pretty low in calories 700-750 calories, although I'm not hungry or feel that I haven't eat enough.

1 whole egg & 1 egg white with ham and cheese
protein almond milk shake w/ strawberry/banana & fiber

ground turkey or chicken w/ salad

piece of fruit

bowl of oatmeal w/ 1tsp of brown sugar

Thanks a bunch,

Renee

Replies

• doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You'll lose weight eating that few calories. This is an obvious answer. But by "weight" you'll be losing fat and muscle. Do yourself a favor... eat more. As long as you maintain a caloric deficit of anywhere from 250-750 cals a day, your body will maintain a .5-1.5 per pound loss a week.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Yep, there are quite a few that are eating super low calories and losing weight. I don't know if it's sustainable weight loss and how they will do long term, but I've seen a couple gals on here with or recovering from EDs (not to single anyone out, but I've stumbled upon a few food diaries/blogs/friends) that are eating between 600-800 cals a day and losing weight pretty consistently.

Better duck, though, I'm sure you're going to get flamed for this one from the avid "you-must-eat-1200-calories" people.

Edit to add my advice, even though I'm sure you don't want to hear it :P but I would add more calories from some natural food sources. Add a few snacks of fruits and vegetables, even if you're not hungry, so you're getting more nutrients and good foods. Adding more protein from lean meats or nuts is good also. If you're having troubles losing weight, I would up your exercise instead of lower the calories. Just my two cents, though.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    You'll lose weight but not in the healthy way. But maybe you don't care.
  • reneeot
    Options

As I said not looking for opinions.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

Didn't voice any opinion.
  • reneeot
    Options
    Yep, there are quite a few that are eating super low calories and losing weight. I don't know if it's sustainable weight loss and how they will do long term, but I've seen a couple gals on here with or recovering from EDs (not to single anyone out, but I've stumbled upon a few food diaries/blogs/friends) that are eating between 600-800 cals a day and losing weight pretty consistently.

Better duck, though, I'm sure you're going to get flamed for this one from the avid "you-must-eat-1200-calories" people.

Edit to add my advice, even though I'm sure you don't want to hear it :P but I would add more calories from some natural food sources. Add a few snacks of fruits and vegetables, even if you're not hungry, so you're getting more nutrients and good foods. Adding more protein from lean meats or nuts is good also. If you're having troubles losing weight, I would up your exercise instead of lower the calories. Just my two cents, though.

I swim 3 x a week, for the past 18 months I've been on lean protein, beans, brown rice, brown rice pasta, veggies, greens salads and almonds. Averaging usually between 1200-1600. LIke I said just wanting to see who has been eating low calorie. Thanks!!
  • reneeot
    Options

passive sarcasm is just as bad!
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options

You know that by posting a topic on an online forum you are under scrutiny of others. A topic of this nature especially. If you can't handle opinions of others, consider holing yourself up in a padded room without any source of contact to the outside world.
  • reneeot
    Options

You know that by posting a topic on an online forum you are under scrutiny of others. A topic of this nature especially. If you can't handle opinions of others, consider holing yourself up in a padded room without any source of contact to the outside world.

I have a particular reason for asking what I did, I specifically mentioned who I was asking to hear from. I specifically mentioned I was not wanting to debate the issue, because I wanted those who were eating less 1,200 calories to feel free to speak without the input of those who have strong feelings about it. Those who cannot respect that are the ones who have a problem with offering their words of wisdom when it is not asked for.
  • amayzingamanda
    amayzingamanda Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My cals on here are set (by MFP) to 1200 but I'm often under too. I'm just not used to eating that much during the day and the things I do eat are mostly healthy. It's certainly possible to lose eating at any deficit....even under 1200. I know I have.

While I'm not usually as low as what you have in your diary, I think if what you are eating is filling and keeping you energized then go for what works for you as long as you are keeping healthy (aka not an eating disorder)
    Good Luck!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    6a00d8341daa6853ef0133f250990f970b-800wi
  • GeauxDonielle
    GeauxDonielle Posts: 145 Member
    Options

True!!
  • Knbrooks42
    Knbrooks42 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Best answer for sure.
  • toque_de_miel
    toque_de_miel Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    MFP has set my calorie goal to 1200 as well... I rarely do go OVER it and typically I stay under by at least 100 calories. I don't find myself particularly unhealthy either - I work out and try to eat as healthily as I can do. I don't strive to stay under but I don't find myself hitting the 1200 calorie mark very often.

Sorry you've probably ended up getting somewhat flamed over this but good luck to you!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I often eat under 1000 calories. But I have a diagnosed metabolic disorder, and gain weight at 1200 calories, even if they're good sources of food. I don't do it to lose faster, or starve, or yo-yo, it's a lousy hand to be dealt, and I'm hungry a lot. Some bodies just don't burn a decent amount of calories.
  • KaylaWeber87
    KaylaWeber87 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It sounds like to me that you are eating a decent amount of food....I wish I could only eat what you listed, for the day!! :) I say you will lose weight for sure, I think I would.....I am right about 1200-1400 calories per day, and doesn't seem to be coming off much....they say for me to NOT go under 1200 at all.....but I am tempted to give it a shot and see what results I get...:) Good luck with everything!!
  • reneeot
    Options
    MFP has set my calorie goal to 1200 as well... I rarely do go OVER it and typically I stay under by at least 100 calories. I don't find myself particularly unhealthy either - I work out and try to eat as healthily as I can do. I don't strive to stay under but I don't find myself hitting the 1200 calorie mark very often.

Sorry you've probably ended up getting somewhat flamed over this but good luck to you!

I know they can't resist posting their opinions!!! Thanks for your feedback! The meds I was on making me gain weight, so I got rid of the brown rice and brown rice pasta , beans and most of the fruit I was eating. It stopped the weight gain. But my calories have dipped pretty low. I've been doing about 1200-1600 for the past 18 months, but I started gaining like crazy. 14 lbs in 4 months. Right now it finally stopped. Not sure if I'll try to increase calories or not for right now, was surprised it was that low. It's week 3 that I've cut out most starches, I kept my oatmeal!!
  • marshars1
    marshars1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    hi
    i know where u r coming from
    when i joined mfp, i read abt eating back calories n not going under 1200
    trust me i did not loose any weight
    so now i am eating around 1000 n m not eating back my exercise cals
    so far in 3 days it seems it is working
    to be honest, this is not the way that can last LONGER so i have plans to carry on for 7 days around 1000 n 1 day 1500-1600

u wont get replies from those who r eating low because of the scrutiny n replies from those for whom life is easy n they can loose pretty much idealistically
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

The staff of MyFitnessPal is actively reviewing our stance on topics that recommend or promote dieting methods that run counter to our site's own weight-loss recommendations.

In the meantime, please make sure to refrain from attacking or insulting other users.

Earnest and respectful debate on any message in the forums is acceptable. Attacking the messenger is not.

Please note the following forum rule:

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

You may review the forum rules in their entirety at the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/14923-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting

Thanks for your understanding,

MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.