British Curry (crockpot recipe)

Options
ShannonMpls
ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
Note before proceeding: please do not school me on curry; I know what a curry is and I do a lot of Indian cooking. This is based on Julia Child's British Curry recipe, so that's what I'm calling it :)

In my house, it's lick-your-bowl-clean, have-it-for-breakfast good.

Nutrition information if made as indicated below:
330 cals
9.7 fat
464 sodium
37 carb
4 fiber
20 protein

British Curry (serves 6)

2 Tb olive oil
3 cups cubed meat - pork, beef, lamb, chicken. nutrition info above is based on .86 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 large onion, diced
2.5 Tb Madras curry powder (get it from an Indian grocery or Penzey's; I take no responsibility for taste if you use McCormick's. I use a brand called Rajah's)
1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
2 Tb flour
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup red wine
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 small sour apple, diced
1/2 tsp thyme
1 can diced tomatoes with liquid (I used Trader Joe's fire-roasted)
2 bay leaves
1 diced red pepper
1 large potato, peeled and diced (mine was 5.5 ounces)
1 can light coconut milk (I use Trader Joe's, one of few brands without added thickeners or sweetener)
1/3 cup golden raisins

Saute the meat until lightly browned in a saucepan with 1 tablespoon of oil.
Remove meat from pan and set aside.

Cook onions until translucent in 3 Tb of oil (on very low, about 6 or 7 mins)
Stir in curry powder (and cayenne, if you're using it), cook on low 3 mins; add flour and stir. Cook 3-4 more minutes.
Add the broth, and whisk until blended. Add wine, garlic, thyme, potatoes and diced apple.
Simmer for 5-10 minutes.

Put your curry mixture, meat, canned tomatoes, red pepper, and bay leaves in the slow cooker. Set on high until it begins to simmer, then decrease to low. Leave covered. Cook 4-6 hours on low. Longer is just fine too; I've left it simmering for 10 hours before.

If necessary, add an extra cup of broth while it simmers. I add the can of coconut milk and raisins about 45 minutes before serving. At that time, check your spices. You might need salt (esp if you used low sodium broth) or additional curry powder.

Serve with rice or as a soup. We like it topped with a dollop of plain yogurt.

Replies

• tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious... thanks for sharing!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Oh I'll be trying this for sure!
  • pinkakira1
    pinkakira1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!
  • aqua4u75
    Options
    Thanks for sharing :wink:
  • phocid
    phocid Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Question: The recipe calls for 2T of Olive Oil, but down in the instructions, it looks like there are 4T of Olive Oil. Is there a typo in the instruction for the Onion cooking?

This looks delicious, and I definitely want to try it!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Question: The recipe calls for 2T of Olive Oil, but down in the instructions, it looks like there are 4T of Olive Oil. Is there a typo in the instruction for the Onion cooking?

This looks delicious, and I definitely want to try it!

Yes, there is! The original recipe calls for 4T, and I decreased it to two.

I was going to edit but I guess I can't. Oh well! Anyway, thanks for pointing this out. I use 1T to cook the meat, 1T to cook the onion.