Greek Lemon Chicken Soup (Avgolemono) (70 cals a bowl)

Options
jds916
jds916 Posts: 18 Member
Yield:
8 servings with rice (serving size: 1cup. 540 calories in the whole thing!)

Ingredients
8 cups low-salt chicken broth (fat Free) (120 cal)
1/3 tablespoons lemon juice (0 cal)
4 large eggs, lightly beaten (300 cal)
1 cup hot cooked long-grain rice (or something similar. I used 1/2c Trader Joe's Arborio Rice) (120 Cal)
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1/8 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
Any dried spices/herbs you want

Preparation

Heat broth in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until boils. Add any herbs you wish. Parsley, orgeno, thyme, rosemary. Salt, pepper. Whatever. When it boils, lower to a simmer and add 1/2 cup of Trader Joe's Arborio Rice (or similar, or nothing, and serve over some rice later). It takes about 10 minutes of sitting to cook the Rice. While that's going, Mix separately eggs with lemon juice. Gradually add hot broth (ladle in) mixture and lemon juice to eggs, stirring constantly with a whisk. Then reverse. Slowly add egg/lemon/broth to hot broth while wisking the broth. you dont want to 'scramble' the eggs. By adding some hot broth to the eggs first will help prevet that.

Cook over medium heat until slightly thick (about 15 minutes), stirring constantly. Remove from heat and eat!

If you didn't add Trader Joe's Arborio Rice then you can serve the soup over some rice.

This is soo good. I ate it 4 days in a row for dinner. It's got a sweet tangy taste with perfect texture!

Replies

• jds916
    jds916 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yield:
    8 servings with rice (serving size: 1cup. 540 calories in the whole thing!)

Ingredients
    8 cups low-salt chicken broth (fat Free) (120 cal)
    1/3 tablespoons lemon juice (0 cal)
    4 large eggs, lightly beaten (300 cal)
    1 cup hot cooked long-grain rice (or something similar. I used 1/2c Trader Joe's Arborio Rice) (120 Cal)
    1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
    1/8 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
    Any dried spices/herbs you want

Preparation

Heat broth in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until boils. Add any herbs you wish. Parsley, orgeno, thyme, rosemary. Salt, pepper. Whatever. When it boils, lower to a simmer and add 1/2 cup of Trader Joe's Arborio Rice (or similar, or nothing, and serve over some rice later). It takes about 10 minutes of sitting to cook the Rice. While that's going, Mix separately eggs with lemon juice. Gradually add hot broth (ladle in) mixture and lemon juice to eggs, stirring constantly with a whisk. Then reverse. Slowly add egg/lemon/broth to hot broth while wisking the broth. you dont want to 'scramble' the eggs. By adding some hot broth to the eggs first will help prevet that.

Cook over medium heat until slightly thick (about 15 minutes), stirring constantly. Remove from heat and eat!

If you didn't add Trader Joe's Arborio Rice then you can serve the soup over some rice.

This is soo good. I ate it 4 days in a row for dinner. It's got a sweet tangy taste with perfect texture!