my foam roller might be possesed by demons.

Options
okay not really, but it sure feels like it right now! i just bought a foam roller this past weekend and today makes the second time i've used it. the first time i found it surprisingly uncomfortable and sometimes downright painful. the second time i decided i was just being a wimp and really wanted to work out some knots and found places that caused a considerable amount of pain. so much so, that i ended up letting way up and deciding that maybe a little at a time is best. that was about 2 hours ago and i'm already having a lot of soreness where the worse spots of pain were. is this normal? i've had deep tissue massage and ended up really sore, i'm assuming this is the same?

should i take it easy next time or keep up the teeth-clenching abuse sessions after my runs until it doesn't hurt to roll out my muscles anymore?

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    dehydrated? stretching is always good.... but water needs to get to the muscles to work it all out nicely.
  • k8bugz
    k8bugz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've heard it takes awhile to get used to foam rollers, so I'd suggest to keep at it, but within reason - don't push it if it's too painful. I've yet to consistently use mine to work past the soreness issues.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    No, you need to keep at it. It gets better, I promise but it sucks for a while. There will come a time when you are completely addicted, but in the beginning they hurt like a *****!
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Keep doing it. Its hurts SO bad but it will get better, promise!
  • nikibob
    nikibob Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    No, you need to keep at it. It gets better, I promise but it sucks for a while. There will come a time when you are completely addicted, but in the beginning they hurt like a *****!

why doesn't anyone warn you about that part? lol
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    what the heck are they? I was thinking painting foam roller... gonna have to go google now.
  • nikibob
    nikibob Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    what the heck are they? I was thinking painting foam roller... gonna have to go google now.

http://simplyhisandhers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Golds_Gym_Foam_Roller.png