protein shakes of all kinds!

Hey, I am wanting to start drinking protein shakes or meal replacement shakes throughout the day. Wondering if there is a major difference between different brands or is it just the amount of protein in each shake? is their a "men's" protein/meal replacement shake and a "women's" protein/meal replacement shake? what about muscle milk? what is everyone's favorite?

also, if I am getting enough protein throughout the day or close to enough does it even pay to be taking the shakes?

Do meal replacement shakes REALLY replace meals? or are you still usually hungry after drinking them?

thanks all :)

Replies

• azQmaster
    azQmaster Posts: 448 Member
    A lot of the ladies prefer the Q brand!

Just take it like a shot and you'll be good!
  • prestonmay
    prestonmay Posts: 107 Member
    walmart Body Fortress -- Best Bang for the Dollar. Has Creatine in it though. They have other knock offs there that do not.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    whey protein!
  • jaberry81
    jaberry81 Posts: 7 Member
    i order mine through Advocare products. They taste really good. I add water and a banana to the shake mix and blend it up in a blender. It gets really smooth. This is usually my breakfast and it fills me up until lunch:smile:
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Whey protein is some of the best out there.

As for brands I like BSN, Optimum Nutrition & Muscle Milk based on taste, cost (BSN is cheaper on Amazon) and calories per serving.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Meal replacements should have carbs + protein thus being higher in cals. A lot of these taste synthetic and also have sugar alcohols (which can cause stomach aches).

I've drank Myoplex in the past, but I stay off it now. Expensive and also my stomach didn't agree.

Protein powder, definitely go for a good brand. It's not all created equal. I've heard Optimum Nutrition is good (I use it) and I really like it.

I would also seek some advice from some pro's on here and also maybe check out what they say at a fitness/health store.

Whey Protein is the best for after a weights workout.

Casein is typically more at night, for slower absorption.

I'm no expert...just what I "think" I know. :-)
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    I know people are going to knock the product, but I use Shakeology as my breakfast and am full until lunch. I often have to force myself to have a snack in between. It has over 70 different nutrients and 14 grams of protein. It also has a full days serving of fruits and vegetables in one glass.
  • Jay Robb Whey Protein is recommended by my doctor -- no nasty artificial sweeteners and no MSG!!!!
  • bonogul
    bonogul Posts: 96 Member
    I love the GNC total lean shake swiss chocolate. its 170 cals with 25 grams of protein.

I think muscle milk is more for people who are actually trying to gain muscle weight.

i think more percentage of protein in your diet calories the better, its better for loosing weight and gaining muscle.

do they replace meals ? not for me !!! :) i like eating actual foods. but its a nice snack and a pick me up. especially the 170 calorie one.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member

My mom swears by the Q brand.
  • KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe Posts: 435
    I like the Vega products myself. I use Hemp protein as my protein powder as well. I find if you spend a little more you get a lot more out of it.
  • AngelKeys
    AngelKeys Posts: 10 Member
    I absolutely love Shakeology! A little pricey, but worth every penny! As someone else said...high in protein and a full day's worth of fruits and vegetables in one serving. Keeps me full for several hours and tastes like a milkshake!
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 697 Member
    I use 100% whey protein and add frozen strawberries, raspberries and/or blueberries with a bit of wheat germ and lowfat milk. With the fruit being frozen, it makes it come out like a smoothie. Gets my day off to a good start with enough in my stomach to hold me for awhile. As long as I also have my Dunkin Donuts coffee in the morning as well, I'v got the start to the day that I need. With the site, I'm tracking calories and it's also helping me to keep up with my workout program. My weight is the same as my high school football weight, so I'm pretty happy with the results. Take care and good luck with your program.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Hey, I am wanting to start drinking protein shakes or meal replacement shakes throughout the day. Wondering if there is a major difference between different brands or is it just the amount of protein in each shake? is their a "men's" protein/meal replacement shake and a "women's" protein/meal replacement shake? what about muscle milk? what is everyone's favorite?

also, if I am getting enough protein throughout the day or close to enough does it even pay to be taking the shakes?

Do meal replacement shakes REALLY replace meals? or are you still usually hungry after drinking them?

thanks all :)

I guess it would depend on how much protein you're actually getting on a daily basis. Your diary is locked so we can't see. Muscle Milk is good but can be pricey. My buddy who has done a lot of research on protein supps says that ON is probably the best out there content wise. If you don't want to do the protein shakes which makes it easy to get the protein, then chicken breast, tuna cans, and steak are probably the best ways to ingest it. I'm guessing you're not getting enough protein without supplements on a daily basis but I could be wrong. It's hard to unless you either live off the three foods above or add low cal supps. 1 gram protein per lean muscle pound is ideal.
  • azQmaster
    azQmaster Posts: 448 Member

My mom swears by the Q brand.

If you don't feel that you got the absolute best quality, they will hand deliver a fresh shot!
  • channa007
    Meal replacements should have carbs + protein thus being higher in cals. A lot of these taste synthetic and also have sugar alcohols (which can cause stomach aches).

I've drank Myoplex in the past, but I stay off it now. Expensive and also my stomach didn't agree.

Protein powder, definitely go for a good brand. It's not all created equal. I've heard Optimum Nutrition is good (I use it) and I really like it.

I would also seek some advice from some pro's on here and also maybe check out what they say at a fitness/health store.

Whey Protein is the best for after a weights workout.

Casein is typically more at night, for slower absorption.

I'm no expert...just what I "think" I know. :-)

I second this... he's correct from my research/friends.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    I use Optimum Nutrition Nitrocore. Combo of casein and whey protein...definitely keeps me full.
  • channa007
    I know people are going to knock the product, but I use Shakeology as my breakfast and am full until lunch. I often have to force myself to have a snack in between. It has over 70 different nutrients and 14 grams of protein. It also has a full days serving of fruits and vegetables in one glass.

Not enough protein in it. Ingredients are not on par with the $129 price tag of a measley 30 day supply.
  • RicSnyder
    RicSnyder Posts: 129 Member
    Nothing out there compares with Shakeology.
  • channa007
    I absolutely love Shakeology! A little pricey, but worth every penny! As someone else said...high in protein and a full day's worth of fruits and vegetables in one serving. Keeps me full for several hours and tastes like a milkshake!

Again, NOT ENOUGH PROTEIN IN IT TO JUSTIFY PRICE!