nervous for maintenance

Options
hi guys! I'm currently 2 pounds away from my goal weight... ahhh. I'm getting kind of nervous for maintenance. I'm scared that I'll blow it and start gaining weight again. I'm at 1,200 calories a day and I work out six times a week for 45 minutes. how'd you guys transition to maintenance? did you increase your calories gradually and did you decrease the amount of times you worked out? I would love to have more rest days because I'm so busy and always really tired, but I feel like if I don't work out I'll start to slip. how has things been different maintaining? any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• NaomiWhite77
    NaomiWhite77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    bump.. would love to hear ideas..
  • MomBod81
    MomBod81 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Rhayne05
    Options
    For sure bump! Mine's not far either!
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    Change you goal on MFP to "maintain my current weight". Gradually add more calories until you reach the maintenance calorie level.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I think most people start when they are about 5 - 10 lbs away from their goal by changing their settings to "I want to lose 0.5lbs a week"..... so slowly upping their calories and gradually moving into maintenance....

Then once you get to your goal obviously set your goal to "I want to maintain"....

My pals on maintenance mostly say it is quite hard to settle in maintenance, so you need to still be on your game - and understand how your body reacts to this new phase.....

How exciting for you and good luck :-)
  • JimCloud
    Options
    If you just look at the simple science and by no means am I an expert, I would guess that you need to try to keep the input the same as the calories that you use in your daily activity life. You should be able to use the MFP feature and it get you where you need to be to maintain. Congrats on all the hard work. I hope I get there someday!!!
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    bump! i am almost there too and curious!
  • Gennawest
    Gennawest Posts: 171
    Options
    Ok im in maintenance, and have been maintaining the same weight for about a month. I would love to respond and will do so early tom. Morning. :)
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I upped my daily calories 100-200 at a time, giving myself time between increases to note how my body responded, and when I started losing again I upped my calories til I didn't need to do this anymore. I started to do this at goal weight and dipped a little below goal weight doing this - you may want to try this a kg or two above goal weight. And then just increase or decrease your cals slightly as required to maintain.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaintng since August. I did lose a few more pounds as I slowly upped my calorie intake. (I too was very scared ) I stll workout 6-7 days a week (by choice) for about 30-60 mins each time (mainly cardio). I did just got back from a small vacation, and didn't do any real exercise and was fine. The important thing is you slowly up your cal intake and don't go from 1200 to 1800 all in one shot, or you may get a gain. Its 'alos just as important to keep moving and keep drinking water.

I had to tweak things and think Im about on a even keel now. Good luck and you can do it!! :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i changed my cals to lose half a pound when i was 4 pounds from goal. i stayed at this level till i was at goal, and then increased 100 cals per week until i got to MFPs reccommended maintenance goal. and then went over as its set fairly low!

if you dont think that 6 days of 45 minutes exercise is maintainable then cut it down now before you tweak your cals - go for 4-5 times per week for a couple of weeks, then up the cals a bit.

you will just have to play around for the next few months, but remember to give your body time to adjust. maintenance should be a range not 1 set number - mine is 122-126lbs for example.

hope this helps!
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    iincreased 100 cals per week until i got to MFPs reccommended maintenance goal. and then went over as its set fairly low!

Just starting to increase my calories now and I like the sound of this :-)
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Aside from adding calories slowly, keep logging and doing your weigh ins. Just don't let the whole thing get ahead of you if you start to gain. I have been a little lax in keeping with my goals, mostly because I am always so hungry, but I never let myself get more than a couple of pounds off track before becoming diligent again.
  • Gennawest
    Options
    I will try to make this snappy.

My situation may be a bit different than others. I wanted to lose (at least) 100 lbs before school. I started trying to lose in January, and wahlah by September 23 I met my goal. I knew that when I started school again, I would not be able to maintain the vigorous workouts I had been doing. My schedule would instead consist of 18 hour work and school days, and while I would love to squeeze a work out in it sometimes becomes nearly impossible. I am a graduate student, work full time, and I am currently completing an internship as well.

So with that being said, when I entered maintenace, I was more than a bit scared. I was fearful that I would gain something back. Almost instantly after entering maintenance, i scaled back my work outs from 8 hours of intense cardio work outs, to two or three hours (not because I wanted to). I also began to eat more. Not a whole bunch more, but at least 100-200 calories more daily. Surprisingly I have stayed right at my goal weight.

I have found myself less likely to keep a strict count during the weekend as well. Sometimes I pay for it during the week. For example, I am .2 pounds away from my maintenace weight this morning. No stinkin' big deal. I still weigh daily. Yes! I am one of those. :-} I still pretty much count every darn thing I put in my mouth. I still do not eat donuts, and McDonalds, and Taco Bell. Not only have I maintained my weight, but I have maintaned my lifestyle.

Here is to those, that said I couldnt do it!
  • Gennawest
    Options
    P. S. Are any of you in maintenance finding yourself getting hungry more often? I dont know if it is a mental thing or what, but for the past few days I feel like eating like a growing baby hippo does.
  • JimCloud
    Options
    Congradulations to you and meeting your goal!!! You are truly an inspiration!!!