Personal Trainer makes himself fat on purpose...

Options
Hmmm, at least he'd know where his clients were coming from. But, I just don't know...

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/why-a-personal-trainer-is-making-himself-obese-on-purpose-2583990

Replies

• puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm very interesting!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Wow! Well, the only thing I can think of is how actors do it for movie roles...but I feel like you...ah ah ah?!?!?
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I think this is interesting. As someone who's wrestled with my weight for a long time, I've always resented glib advice from naturally thin people as they don't understand the process of losing weight. (I would argue that the same can be said of any personal trainer or athlete who's never been overweight.) There's a twisted nobility in what he's doing...he's acknowledging that he's not walked in his clients' shoes and so while he understands the process of losing weight he doesn't (or rather didn't) know what it was like to really go through the process. By doing this he's got the potential to be a better trainer. And for all those who would scream about the dangers of this, well, they need to get real. People live long lives doing things that are bad for them. A year ('cause let's face it -- he won't lose it as fast as he put it on) of going through this process is highly unlikely to damage his health irreversibly. Frankly I think the most disturbing thing about this is the first comment below the story about losing "another hot guy to fat." Right. Because this is ALL about superficial appearance and has nothing to do with health. <rolls eyes> My hat is off to him and I hope this works out well for him and for his clients.
  • healthieramanda
    healthieramanda Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    There was a PT a few years ago in Australia who did the same thing. Funny part about it is that he only put it on in his stomach, he looked like he was pregnant and still had defined arms! Took him the longest time to get back into shape! Even though it's not healthy for him to do it, I absolutely applaud him for wanting to see through the eyes of a fat person.
  • Ayla20103005
    Ayla20103005 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am a bit torn about this. Yes it could make him more understanding and a better trainer, but as someone who has struggled with their weight for a long time, its hard for me to imagine someone wanting to put on weight.
    But in saying that, because of my weight, is why I want to be a PT, and ive almost finished my course to do so. I think it will help make me a good trainer. Not that someone who has never been fat, could be a good one, but I think it helps.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Wow. .what an amazing story. . I will be interested to watch how the end unfolds~!:flowerforyou:
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    His food addiction comment is interesting to me; I watched the documentary "Supersize Me" and remember that guy saying the same thing. For some reason it seems to have more authority coming from someone who was once fit than it does from someone like me who has had a lifelong struggle. That's illogical, I know, but that doesn't change my feelings on the matter.

I applaud him for doing this; he's really doing what it takes to understand and help those who have serious issues with food. He will also finally understand the true struggle it is to lose the weight, and I think that can only make him a better person.