Barefoot Runners

Options
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone here was a barefoot runner, or wore the shoes that simulate running barefoot. If so, I would love your opinions about the differences and how you feel about them! I am considering investing in a pair, but they are $90 ish dollars, and I'm a college kid.

Thanks!
Sio

Replies

• JDNOX
    JDNOX Posts: 619
    Options
    I use the shoes and i love them. They feel so good on my feet. I did not by the expensive ones but i fould some that were 50 dollars and they work great for me. I wear them a lot to just walk around in.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Could you give me a idea of what brands sell these shoes? Or what they are called? :)
    I have never heard of shoes that feel like bare feet but it sounds great! Thanks.
  • mrsshides
    Options
    I have a pair of Vibrams and i love them! I run with them 3 time a week..and wear them as my everyday shoes! I absolutely love them.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Could you give me a idea of what brands sell these shoes? Or what they are called? :)
    I have never heard of shoes that feel like bare feet but it sounds great! Thanks.

The particular kind I am looking at are the Vibrams!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I have vibrams and they are great -- but you guys know they aren't really "shoes" per se right? Its all up to your own feet -- all they really do is protect your feet from scrapes/pokey stuff on the ground and give you some extra traction.
  • Jean410
    Jean410 Posts: 104
    Options
    I haven't tried them yet, but Merrel sells a barefoot shoe in which they teamed w/ Vibram... the difference is they don't have toes.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have the VFF's. I really like them.
    Some people have recommended getting cheap "water socks" to try out first if you don't want to shell out for the VFF's.

Just remember if you are going to run in them start out slow! BUild up over time. And by slow, I mean short distance. You actual pace is whatever speed you run at, but keep your distances very short at first.
  • forthefab5
    forthefab5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have the VFF's. I really like them.
    Some people have recommended getting cheap "water socks" to try out first if you don't want to shell out for the VFF's.

Just remember if you are going to run in them start out slow! BUild up over time. And by slow, I mean short distance. You actual pace is whatever speed you run at, but keep your distances very short at first.

Yup, love the Vibrams too!!! Alot of people comment on them at first but you get used to it :)

Definitely start off with short distances, I got my first pair early this year and I can run about 5k in them before my shins and ankles say to stop. I haven't been consistent though so I've had to restart a couple of times. You'll feel muscle soreness at first but you'll find that your feet and legs get stronger with time. Just make sure not to push yourself too hard.

There are heaps of other minimalist shoes out there. Merrill trailgloves, New Balance Minimus and the Nike Free just to name a few other brands. Vibram I think is the only one with toes though.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I recently got vibrams and would definitly recommend them! Like jrr said, start out slow/short distances. I did a little research on training for barefoot running and they say to start with 1/4 a mile to a mile for the first week and up your distance by about 10 percent a week after that. I found that I run faster in them because of my foot strike but because of that I get tired sooner so about 1/2 a mile is all I can do before I start walking some. I'd say they are well worth the investment it just takes effort to retrain your body.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    In my honest opinion, (someone please correct me if you disagree or are learned on the subject), you can get all the benefits of barefoot running in your sneaks, if you strike with your forefoot ("ball" of your foot). Do some reading with how barefoot runners actually toe strike and push off, using their ankle as a shock absorber. I don't know if you know horses, but it's like the fetlock joint, watch how it bobs up and down when they walk, it's cushioning 800-1500lbs of weight.

striking with your forefoot/toes will strengthen your tendons and ligaments through your legs, and work your calves. I wonder if our bodies weren't designed to work this way instead of heel-striking. Shoe manufacturers have done runners a disservice by making us think we ought to be pounding the ground with our heels. :noway:
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options

you will also have to "build up over time" if you're striking with your forefoot, if you don't currently run this way, even in running shoes. I had to start with "intervals" of toe striking, my calves took a while to adjust
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    The VFF stands for Vibram Five Fingers.
  • caiconCristi
    caiconCristi Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I use New Balance Minimus. I love them. I started with NIke Frees and when they kept wearing out too quickly I found a great article by Eric Cressey. He is a trainer and tried a bunch of different shoes and thought the Minimus was the best all around for the gym and running. Also, I read the Pose Method of Running and that helped. You definitely have to build up. Your calves are gonna feel it in the beginning.
  • amberwebb79
    amberwebb79 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've done barefoot running years ago, I'm not sure they made shoes for it back then. I've never bought a pair of "barefoot" shoes, but I considered this, since I have less soft places to run as I used to.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    In my honest opinion, (someone please correct me if you disagree or are learned on the subject), you can get all the benefits of barefoot running in your sneaks, if you strike with your forefoot ("ball" of your foot). Do some reading with how barefoot runners actually toe strike and push off, using their ankle as a shock absorber. I don't know if you know horses, but it's like the fetlock joint, watch how it bobs up and down when they walk, it's cushioning 800-1500lbs of weight.

striking with your forefoot/toes will strengthen your tendons and ligaments through your legs, and work your calves. I wonder if our bodies weren't designed to work this way instead of heel-striking. Shoe manufacturers have done runners a disservice by making us think we ought to be pounding the ground with our heels. :noway:

you are correct.....for me the Vibrams make it so I don't have to think so hard about the foot strike plus I LOVE to be barefoot and they are pretty close to being barefoot. The only thing that i'm not sure about with just changing your foot strike in regular sneeks is the support? I don't know if having the extra arch support in there makes a difference....my uncle was raised in Hawaii and never wore shoes so he naturally has that foot strike even in sneeks. He said that he hardly tightens his running shoes because he likes to be able to move around (up and down) in them.
  • CorgiMom2011
    CorgiMom2011 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been using Nike Free for the past year and love them!! I used to have knee pain and tendonitis in my feet but the Nike Free have relieved the issues. You do need to start slowly because they work your legs differently but once you adjust, barefoot running is amazing.
  • insyweensy
    insyweensy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of VFF and Merrell Pace Gloves, and I love them both. The VFF are much more of a "true barefoot experience", so I found myself really watching the ground when I ran in them to avoid stepping on stones and twigs on the path. The Merrel Pace Glove has a slightly thicker sole, but still has great flexibility and is incredibly light. They have been my preferred shoe for running lately because I can wear socks with them (it's starting to get cold), and I don't spend my entire run looking at the ground. Also, since they look like regular shoes I find myself wearing them casually as well as for running. They're both great shoes, so you can't go wrong!

Definitely start barefoot running slowly! It will probably take several months to work up to the distances you're used to running in sneakers.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

Yes & no.
    While forefoot/midfoot striking in regular shoes is good, the problem for most is that because of all the cushioning & suppoort, you can't tell if your foot is striking properly. In "barefoot" shoes, you instantly know. And the addition shoe support and large heel drop distance, doesn't let all the tiny muscles & ligaments strengthen as much either.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I have Terra Plana Barefoot Vivo which I like for under 7 mile runs, I wear Nike Free for anything more than 7 miles. I'd suggest reading the book Barefoot Running before you just buy a pair and head out the door. Do your research, it isn't for everyone. I also read chirunning to use in combo with the barefoot running. I was a brand new runner and knew no different I'm not sure how hard it would be to change up if already set in your ways. I chose it because it simply came down to I hate shoes, hate the feel of tennis shoes too heavy on my feet. I worked for a DPM for years and am picky about shoes and those that "correct" the gait too. It was a choice I made that works for me.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Yes & no.
    While forefoot/midfoot striking in regular shoes is good, the problem for most is that because of all the cushioning & suppoort, you can't tell if your foot is striking properly. In "barefoot" shoes, you instantly know. And the addition shoe support and large heel drop distance, doesn't let all the tiny muscles & ligaments strengthen as much either.

I would agree, I've worked with a DPM at www.nwfootankle.com who I really enjoy because he takes a holistic approach. The main thing you are missing in shod running as opposed to barefoot, is your missing the flexibility and strengthening of the foot itself. You are also missing the grounding and massage benefits of being barefoot. The heal drop is huge in some shoes. The flexibility just isn't their in most shoes either.

I run barefoot, love it and would really say it's not for everyone. I've never tried vibrams but know there are so many different options really look around and find what works for you.