If its 80% diet and 20% exercise to lose weight...

Options
Does that mean working out EXTRA hard to compensate doesn't work... :/ I know a lot of people believe in this, so what's your opinion?

Replies

• deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    it's actually 60-40
  • KelleFlr
    KelleFlr Posts: 142
    Options
    In doing some research on line (my bad that I don't have the exact sites, but some are mayo clinic, women's sites and md sites..) What I am reading is that most weight loss is contributed to less calories. The excercise is good for the heart, lungs, bones, and over feeling good but if say I need to eat 1200 calories a day and I eat 1700 then try to burn off 500 calories in excercise I won't lose.
    What I am doing is I calculated my BMR thru the Mayo clinic site and it says if I am inactive I burn 1650 calories, lightly active (walking 3x week) then I burn 1800. I need to consume 500 less calories a day to lose 1 lb a week. So my goal is 1150 if I don't excercise and I can have 1300 if I do.. or in that range.
    I want to walk at least 3x a week to build up my stamina, personally. I have asthma and am hoping to strengthen my lungs. I am also 45 and know it is good for bone density to walk. I want to see if I shed 30 lb or so can I jog without knee pain. i currently have arthritis in my right knee so it hurts to do that impact so I am left with brisk walking 3.0 - 3.5 mph .
    I can't afford a gym membership so I don't have access to weights otherwise I'd add that in probably.
    I am planning ot start utilizing my pilates dvd's that I have around for years.
    That's just my opinion and what I do for me. I am 3 weeks in though, so maybe someone who has been at it longer and has a bigger workout routine sees different results.
    Good luck. I think its a great question
    Kelle
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    it's actually 60-40

The ratio is arbitrary.

I have not worked out even REMOTELY regularly and have lost an average of 6.7 lbs. per month since 1-1-11. So for me, it's 100-0.

Just saying you can lose weight with nutrition alone. Exercise has other rad benefits though, like overall health, fitness and hotness. (I'm starting a regimen soon.)
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    To lose weight-- diet.
    To sport a rockin' body when all that extra is gone-- exercise.
    Being skinny and being fit are not always the same thing.
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    To lose weight-- diet.

^^^^ This
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    You eat to lose weight, you exercise for good health!
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    To lose weight-- diet.

Agree with this!
  • tarmacsports
    Options
    Im not sure what i believe but diet is not what works for me.
    I guess if you want to call it a diet go for it. My food has not changed much.When i eat certain foods has changed.
    I did cut out dairy , and Wheat. I just stop eating carbs at noon. I always ate well i just never ate enough.
    My weight is from stress pure and simple. I was at the gym 6 days a week and sometimes 3 times a day. I had a horrible trainer that i got very little information from. Only thing i got from him was a insane workout to the point i couldn't walk.
    I went on 20 mile hikes and 20 mile mountain bike rides every week on top of my gym work out. I was able to bounce back in less than a day mostly because i had some extra energy wrapped around my waist . I did a huge yo-yo from 215 when i joined the gym to 237 and then 222 when i finaly stabled out. I started this fitness-pal when i finally stabled out at 222. It wasn't until i met a trainer that told me the benefits of supplements. I then dropped 30lbs in two months and 4 months later i still have not gained any of that back i still work out insanely but i now try to eat much more than i ever have.
    So NO i don't believe in diets to loose weight and no i don't believe that just exercising will bring you better health. Each person is so different that making simple statements to me, well they just don't apply.
  • LaEsperanza
    Options
    i did a 50-50 and lost weight
    I did 100-0 and i still lost weight!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    To lose weight-- diet.

What she said.
  • DawnOBRN
    DawnOBRN Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It takes a caloric deficit to lose weight, but like another post stated, do you want to be healthy and skinny or "skinny fat", with zero muscle tone or endurance?
    I have a friend who is a size 2 and I dont think she could even lift a 10lb bag of cat food off the shelf. She doesnt exercise at all. I'd rather have a few extra pounds and be healthy and strong then a scrawny weakling :happy:
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    This is really simple.

If you have a 2000 calorie diet and that gives you a 500 calorie deficit, then workout 5 days a week and burn 400 each day, you would create a 3500 per week deficit from diet and 2000 from exercise.

Or you could just eat about 1700 calories a day and get the same results.

If you ate 2500 a day, it would take burning 500 calories a day in the gym, 7 days a week to get the same results and just eating 500 fewer calories. 500 calories is an hour to hour and a half workout depending on your size.

So, you'd need to spend. 7 to 10 hours per week in the gym or you could just eat 500 less calories.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Does that mean working out EXTRA hard to compensate doesn't work... :/ I know a lot of people believe in this, so what's your opinion?

you should see me without my shirt on. what was once spongy, is slowly becoming defined and solid. honestly, its a wonder i ever move away from in front of a mirror sometimes.

serious note, i'm trying to become more athletic, not just skinny for the sake of being skinny. what others have said is true, you can lose weight from nutrition alone, but exercise has other benefits. sexy, sexy benefits.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Its more like 80% diet, 10% genetics and 10% exercise.

Yes, you can lose weight with no exercise and be skinny. I have always worked out since my teens but life got busy and my workouts got put on the back burner. I was skinny and looked pretty good since I already had the muscle tone, but it wasn't until I was able to get back into my workout routine that I got leaner and IMO, sexier. There were some things no matter what I couldn't change such as even though I had a six pack, I was always going to have a pouch of a lower tummy. Genetics and maybe also from having birthed two kids at that time. For some women its that back upper thigh fat.

I think if you work out extra hard that yes you can and should eat more but I think people tend to overestimate the amount they think they should be able to eat. Plus this may be were genetics kicks in more. If your body wants to hold on to food especially if you are working out more, then it will. There are exceptions to every rule. Every body works differently. Things that worked for me 5 years ago are not working for me now.

I'm in no way an expert, I've just been at this for so long and seen and read so much that this is just how I feel about it.
  • Ylopez04
    Ylopez04 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Diet is definitly most important to losing weight then comes in exercise to tone the body up! And stay at a healthy maintained lifestyle :)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    To lose weight-- diet.

Completely agree!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    it's actually 60-40

nope 63 - 27
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Sooo.....does working out extra hard to burn a big piece of cake work? I don't think many people understood my post...
  • kristinabb
    Options
    Well , to lose the weight I counted calories AND worked out, now I just work out REALLY hard. As someone else said being thin and being fit are two VERY different things. The question you might want to ask yourself is what do you want to look like ? Do you want to be thin or thin and muscular / fit ? Do you want to restrict calories long term or do you want to work out almost daily long term or a mixture of both ? Everyone is different and yes you can eat a 300 calorie piece of cake and go run it off.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I've been trying exercise but seem to be stuck.. have injury at the minute so no exercise for a week so I'll see if I lose any quicker from diet alone and not been able to exercise.