Quitting smoking and weigh loss.

Options
Hi, I am just wondering if any one can help me? I started on mfp 4 weeks ago- I have been doing really well. then i decided to quit smoking as well- and I can't stop slipping back into old habits, Eating junk to curve the craving form the ciggies. I want to get back on track. I am 4 days of cigs. Does anyone have any advice aside from water and exercise? I would appreciate any help please??

Replies

• trilikeagirl
    Options
    welbutrin
  • kayelrick
    kayelrick Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm a smoker , so I feel for you. Recently I purchased a herbal tobacco - that was actually quite good - I mixed it in with my standard tobacco and therefore was cutting my nicotine by half . . . Also when I once gave up smoking I went light jogging every day - the endomorphine (?) produced seemed to counteract the craving for nicotine . . .
  • Picklepower
    Picklepower Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I know that this isn't going to help calorie wise that much but when I quit I used Jolly Ranchers (the hard candy). If I wanted a cig I'd pop a piece of candy, or sometimes the hard candy mints, in my mouth. I have a lot of expensive dental work so I don't like to chew gum that often but the hard candy kept my mouth busy and then when the candy was gone it left the flavor in my mouth that would make other snacking not taste as good. I know Jolly ranchers are not the best at a calorie count but they are less calories than eating a TON of junk food. Plus, they are only temporary to help you get through the cravings at first. as the cravings start to subside you won't need as much candy.
  • SoulmomV
    SoulmomV Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good for you! congrats for getting off the cigs. i quit just about a year and a half ago. i ate tons of pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. also i would still take breaks, pick a really good book and read for 5 mins when you feel that craving and stress. or music or an audio book. get encouraging stuff. i also knit, so when i quit smoking i splurged on some really nice yarn and kept my hands busy... you are making healthy choices about smoking and you have the power to make healthy choices about food too. but don't beat yourself up. it may take a week or two to or a month even, before you can really focus on food choices. the most important thing right now is not picking up a cig. good job!
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    bump
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i always chewed sunflower seeds..ya know with the shells in tact..so i'd have to work harder to get the seed out
  • murphymae2
    murphymae2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm trying too, this time I went ahead with the chantix. So it's going well so far, it's only been 4 days, and the first 3 were the worst so far. Today was not too bad. I read alot about it before deciding to go ahead with it, which I would strongly recommend doing. I'm sure you'll do fine, the first part is always the worst. Hang in there. I've had some cravings too, but today was better for that as well.
  • jenzabell
    jenzabell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much- It is very hard to focus on both-but I figure at the moment the smoking is most important- Although I am obese, I dont look that bad. I love your ideas.
  • patiencez2
    patiencez2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    What ever you do Deal with the smoking issue first! It is killing you.
    6 months smoke free here and I feel wonderful! after 8 or 9 days you are over the addiction, then the habit kicks in.
    Having something in your hands. use a straw or a pencil. anything with your hands. try eating carrots or sugar free candy.
    It is very hard but you can do it. I smoked for 45 years and done both quit and started my diet!
    We can do this yes we can.
    The best of luck to you.
  • BradDaTallman
    Options
    I gave up smoking over 4 years ago now and am now enjoying a healthy lifestyle and a semi sensible diet. You've got to battle through that first 3 weeks giving up and don't cheat. Don't 'second hand' any or have a sneaky draw on anyone elses. If you don't cheat you'll be settled in 3 weeks. It's true you never get over it. I'm not. But 3 weeks in I could relax and get on without them.

I won't go back to smelling like that again. My breath, hair, clothes, house, even our dogs smelt of smoke. Convince yourself it's a disgusting and pointless habit and you'll find it easier to stay off. Start to hate smoke to ease your loss. You don't miss what you don't like. Be pleased it's gone. Keep away from smokers until you're stronger. I'll never do that 3 weeks again. Was nasty.

Now's not the time to diet. Lose the cancer bringers first then get in shape. If it was me I'd give it a month before I thought about dieting. It's worth gaining a few pounds if it'll help you off nicotine. I didn't do patches, went cold turky. I wanted to be OFF nicotine. Old friend of mine got hooked on the nicotine tablets. Chews the tablets between cigarettes now. What the hell? Don't see him anymore. Stinks of old unwashed smoke flavoured clothes. Ouch. Best of luck with whatever you do in life anyway.
  • BradDaTallman
    Options
    You beat me to it patiencez2! Heh heh ;)
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    Sugar free mints and black coffee help me. They are such strong tastes you don't want to eat anything else. I've quit twice now and never gained weight because of it. Good luck and well done :flowerforyou: