Nicotine withdrawal hunger abatement

Options
I quit smoking on July 28 this year. I did it with the use of an electronic cigarette. Like everyone else who's quit smoking, I'm ravenous. At first I did a pretty good job counteracting the hunger with baby carrots. Constantly eating baby carrots. It got old.

Now, it's been ~ 1 week since I last used the electronic cigarette. I'm hungry! It's really no worse than it was when I was using the e-cig. But I have zero willpower when it comes to food. I can't control myself anymore. When I was smoking, I had perfect willpower. I did not get fat from overeating. I got fat from not exercising, ever. When I was smoking, I was able to stay within my calorie range without a problem. Now, there's a huge problem. 99% of the time, I do stay within my calorie range. But lately I've discovered this new thing called binging. I log everything and try to burn it off, but sometimes it doesn't work out.

I'm pretty much always over on protein and fiber, so that's not it. It's not even real physical hunger. It's dissatisfaction. I want.... something. Help?

Replies

• debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    Try sugar free mints or black coffee. That worked for me. I've given up twice now and have never gained weight because of that.
    Good luck and well done
    :flowerforyou:
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Read Allen Carr's "Easy Way to Stop Smoking"
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Try sugar free mints or black coffee. That worked for me. I've given up twice now and have never gained weight because of that.
    Good luck and well done
    :flowerforyou:
    Thank you. I may have to try the mints. That was recommended to me by someone else, so there may be something to this. I think the coffee would have me way too jittery though.
    I'll look into that, but I've already quit smoking. I need an appetite suppressant, or something similar. Thank you for the suggestion though.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options

I gave up nicotine chewing gum using this earlier this year and it really did help. The book explains why substiting food for cigarettes/nicotine is not the answer.

I did still put on some weight going through the process, but I certainly didn't have food cravings in the way you're describing.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Options

I gave up nicotine chewing gum using this earlier this year and it really did help. The book explains why substiting food for cigarettes/nicotine is not the answer.

I did still put on some weight going through the process, but I certainly didn't have food cravings in the way you're describing.
    Okay, that makes more sense. I do know that food is not a good replacement. It's ultimately up to me to eat the bad stuff, doesn't matter what the cravings say. I just wish I could be stronger about this. I also wish I could chew gum but it makes me nauseous. I am going to see what my local drugstore has in the way of sugarfree mints. Not a fan of mint, but it's worth a try.
  • strangemodegirl
    Options
    For me, sugar free gum helped a whole lot, and when I first quit, when I got cravings, I would just get on the treadmill and walk. Since you can't chew gum, the mints might help, or chewing on toothpicks?
    It gets easier, it really does.
    Like you mentioned before, we both pretty much started smoking at the same time, so you know that if I could do it, you can too!

I would say water, but you already drink tons of it. I don't think appetite suppresants really work or are remotely good for you.
    You have my # so if you want, you can always call me or text me if you need someone to talk you down. :)

.That book, quite honestly, is crap. I read it and didn't quit. I quit when my body was ready for me to quit. I got tired of waking up feeling like there was a weight on my chest and not being able to do anything without running out of breath.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Options
    Thank you:) It's nice to know you've got my back. And I never read that book, but I had a feeling about it. People seem very cultish about it.
  • amyrenee726
    Options
    .That book, quite honestly, is crap. I read it and didn't quit. I quit when my body was ready for me to quit. I got tired of waking up feeling like there was a weight on my chest and not being able to do anything without running out of breath.
    [/quote]

You are so right about quitting when you're ready. The increasing prices, knowing the awful health consequences do nothing until you want to stop. I just quit for the umpteenth time on Monday, the day after starting mfp.

Good luck with finding a solution elisa!
  • srr728
    srr728 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I def used gum! i bought like 10 different flavors and kept them with me. They have dessert type ones too if you need a sweet fix. I realized that smoking didnt really keep me from eating...i ate and gained anyways! Also when i get a craving i got up and did something physical like going up and down the stairs or jumping jacks.

You can do it girl!
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thank you:) It's nice to know you've got my back. And I never read that book, but I had a feeling about it. People seem very cultish about it.

Haha! Fair enough. Though it's arguable whether we're brainwashed into believing smoking is enjoyable in the first instance or whether Carr brainwashes you into believing that it's just an addiction. I heard it described as a form of CBT - it gets you to recognise your behaviours and change them.