SHOULD I ZUMBA OR SHOULD I NOT? A "BLOKE'S" DILEMMA

Options

Replies

• AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Male perspective: Unless you're in touch with your feminine side don't bother. I tried it in August - 20 women in leotards plus me.

Very female orientated despite what other posters, (female), have said.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AtticusFinch
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Naw dude dont do it!! too me zumba is a womans thing...

Mags: Considering it was a man who invented it I don't think it's just a womans thing.

What does that mean? A man invented the Bra. I know some men who could do with one but would you say that was a woman thing - I would
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I've been a few times, the men who go are generally gay or stand at the back for a good look (not realising pencil thin girls in their early twenties are a minority so they are generally disappointed.) I did enjoy it but as I'm really bad with timing etc I spent more time flustering than working out - so I guess it depends on if you pick it up quickly, if so you'll be great if not, well for me I'm better at self timed stuff! Oh and just a warning, for every routine in mine the class rotated so you ended up at the front for 1 in 5 routines arrgh... Good luck if you do go!
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options

Zumba= dance and exercise.

Dance and exercise is for women only? NEWS TO ME

Why isnt this prerson shallow too?
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    One of my buddies used to be in the Mafia (and he's freakin huge and intemidating) and he does Zumba (sometimes skirt and all just to make the ladies giggle) If he can do it so can you! :)
  • Jewcybabe
    Jewcybabe Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Try it once and go from there......
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Mags: Considering it was a man who invented it I don't think it's just a womans thing.

What does that mean? A man invented the Bra. I know some men who could do with one but would you say that was a woman thing - I would

actually a woman invented the bra
    A French woman named Herminie Cadolle was the genius behind the cups and straps. Cadolle came up with the concept in 1889, originally dubbing it the "corselet gorge." Her creation premiered at the Great Exposition in Paris and was a smash with the ladies, propelling the budding entrepreneur into a life-long career in lingerie.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    maybe try it at home first. There will be another groupon in no time - they are always offering zumba. My husband was v hesitant at first, always does it at home with me but has a rather strong reaction (!) when I suggest we go to a class.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My suggestion: if your worried you wont be able to do it go on youtube look up zumba and give it a go and see if you feel comfortable. I say go for it. I think most men would like it if they tried it. I have several men that go to the class I attend, they all do well, not perfect but well. NOBODY is staring at them laughing. The thing I learned is noone is looking at each other they are too busy paying attention to what they are doing and trying to keep in step. I felt out of place my first time then I realized no one cared and I relaxed and let go. Now its fun!!! Go for it!
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    In my experience, everyone is concentrating so hard on not looking the fool, they aren't paying any attention at all to anyone else.

free ride!

and for $19 (sorry I don't have a 'pounds' key!) what have you got to lose!
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I go Body pump and spinning and I am usually the only man in the class...............I get spoilt by the girlies who always encourage me and they even set up my equipment for me lol !

Go for it mate, I would do Zumba if my knees were not really bad
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I certainly think it's a bargain at £19... but I'd probably want to go with a friend (male or female) rather than on my own... but that's more because I'm quite shy :embarassed: in the company of strangers (and OTT online and amongst friends :laugh:)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    (sorry I don't have a 'pounds' key!)

ALT+0163
  • roebuck1908
    Options
    One of my buddies used to be in the Mafia (and he's freakin huge and intemidating) and he does Zumba (sometimes skirt and all just to make the ladies giggle) If he can do it so can you! :)

Maybe He could be a transvestite?
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    From my Zumba experience, I don't think a guy would be very comfortable - Could just be my instructor/class that I attended, but there was a lot of *kitten* smackin and pushin up the girls and what not as part of the dance moves. I think it really depends on the class and who's leading it.

We had a substitute instructor for a few days and she didn't do any of the stripperesque things the regular one had us do.
  • HeatherR930
    HeatherR930 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    From my Zumba experience, I don't think a guy would be very comfortable - Could just be my instructor/class that I attended, but there was a lot of *kitten* smackin and pushin up the girls and what not as part of the dance moves. I think it really depends on the class and who's leading it.

We had a substitute instructor for a few days and she didn't do any of the stripperesque things the regular one had us do.

Your instructor has you push up your boobs? Awkward!! We shake our butts & hips but that's about it. I don't think the stripperesque thing is typical of most instructors.

We've had a guy in class before. And the men who work at the gym come in and do it sometimes! It's fun! I seriously think my husband would go with me if I asked him. I would go check it out and if you don't like it, you never have to go again! There are even male instructors who are really good...you wouldn't be the only man doing zumba out there, for sure!
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Do it. Its far better to regret trying something than to regret not trying. It'll be fun and a way of meeting new like minded people.

^This. I say go for it! Dignity is way overrated anyway. As soon as I lose 50 more pounds I am going to try the class. My center of gravity is off right now and I don't want to have another fall. Do not wear running shoes. They are meant for forward movement and most Zumba moves are side to side. This increases the risk of a fall when wearing shoes with a heavy tread. Shoes with less tread are better. They even sell dance shoes for this. Keep us posted we want to know how you did!
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    If it is AGILITY you want, the best excercise would probably be YOGA. It greatly helped me improve mine!

It's known for improving agility in everyone who practices it and that seemed to be the main focus for your according to your post.

I did Zumba for the first time (in a class) last night and it was good fun, but I was cr@p at it :laugh:

One room, mirrored walls, 25 women (mostly establsihed Zumba-goers), loads of *kitten* shaking (Beyonce style) and fully winding the body, *kitten* in the air, jumping prancing etc etc. It certainly made me sweat!
  • lisalee08
    Options
    im going tonight for the 1st time and iv got to left feet lol all you can do is try if u dont like it then dont go again but you might love it i dont no if i will like it x
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    lisa lee how did it go last night??